GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,410
0 members and 2,410 guests
No Members online

Old 05-15-2005, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
Honestly, there is sooo much stuff that people put in their online photo accounts that could get their chapter into trouble. I can count three different sororities on my campus alone that have pictures of themselves drinking in the house, etc. up in their webshots accounts.
Our Greek Affairs office employs someone for the sole purpose of monitoring online picture albums, Facebook pictures, etc. looking for alcohol and hazing violations. Four sororities are on probation for online album-related issues.

Not to mention that our university's Judicial Affairs is monitoring pictures as well. People have gotten in trouble for violating alcohol policy just for drinking in a picture when they're known to be under 21.

I can't believe these girls are putting these pictures up.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-15-2005, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

It's crazy! Now that I've read this thread/see those pictures, I understand why my school's Panhel is so strick about the pictures we keep on our chapter websites/online pictures/Facebook! Our website cooridinator put up pictures that were very appropriate but girls had cups (from dinner or something like that) and all of those pictures had to be cropped/removed. Have guys in pictures or pictures that you can see fraternities' letters in also can't be up. But, I completely agree with the seemingly-stupid rules now; I would never want my school or my organization to be seen in such as way.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaCutie
Not to mention the drinking in the "Bid Night" album... wherefore art thou, NPC Manual of Information?
LOL CarolinaCutie ! The NPC Unanimous Agreement that forbids alcohol or men at membership recruitment and Bid Day activities is posted online on the NPC site in the "Policies" section. (Not every Unanimous Agreement is posted, but for some reason that one is.)

And another thought: does this mean that Alexandra Robbins could have illustrated her book with pictures, but didn't do enough research? OR was the publisher too cheap to cover the extra printing costs?

Last edited by exlurker; 05-15-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

My question continues to be why do people continue to think that the internet is so anonymous? I am not advocating hazing activities at all but for the love of god, why post pictures like this for the world to see? I don't understand how people can be so DUMB!
Old 05-15-2005, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Some GLO chapters' web sites have a "Chapter Members Only" side that is password protected where party pictures can be posted.

While I am sure they are not doing any thing illegal, they do this so the chapter's "party side" is not seen in what may be considered a bad way.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:58 PM
Unregistered-

How recent are these pictures? I didn't view the whole thing so I didn't get to see when they were first uploaded.

Is this chapter still open?
Old 05-15-2005, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Spring Pledge Class 2004

The girls in the photos are the Spring 2004 pledge class and yes, the chapter is still open according to their website (and the national site).

And yes, Pennsylvania has an anti-hazing law (it's a 3rd degree felony). Plus, if these pledges were drinking (most likely all under 21) that is against the law of both the state and the university...

Last edited by Discotish; 05-15-2005 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Well, if that is the case, Mumms is the word!

Do Not Drink! Do Not Get Screwed Up!!!! Do Not Act Totally Stupid! People will find out and Post it!

Hmm, thought it was supposed to be called something else?

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 05-15-2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

*Waiting for member of that chapter to register on GC and defend their actions....*
Old 05-15-2005, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

First a member of that chapter would have to realize that their pics got posted on GC.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Discotish
Some of the photos were taken at an ATO house and an AChiRho house
It's Alpha Chi Rho or Crows NOT AChiRho. If you don't know the proper nickname, don't make one up.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I'm an alum (not of that chapter) and there's no way I'm defending their actions.

However I do have a few things to point out:
The only thing in the entire thread that suggests hazing is the "hell night" title and the blindfolds...other then that the rest of those pics are nothing that didn't happen at any band party I went to...there's nothing showing that they are forcing those girls to drink (and I bet there's not many on this board who never drank before they were 21, however, they didn't decide to post pics of it either)
Also, I don't believe that ASA has any national "drinking in letters" policy, but I do see that they are drinking in the house (unless they have their composits someplace else).

Is there a way to email the user? I'd like to send a nice freindly Alum to sister letter.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Discotish, you sure seem to know a lot about this incident? Just curious as to how?

You're also incorrect about the law. It's a third degree MISDEMEANOR, not a FELONY like you said. HUGE difference. 24 PS 5353 is the statute.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:16 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaFrog
Well, I'm an alum (not of that chapter) and there's no way I'm defending their actions.

However I do have a few things to point out:
The only thing in the entire thread that suggests hazing is the "hell night" title and the blindfolds...other then that the rest of those pics are nothing that didn't happen at any band party I went to...there's nothing showing that they are forcing those girls to drink (and I bet there's not many on this board who never drank before they were 21, however, they didn't decide to post pics of it either)
Also, I don't believe that ASA has any national "drinking in letters" policy, but I do see that they are drinking in the house (unless they have their composits someplace else).

33girl and AlphaFrog, are blindfolds typically used in your official New Member period?

But this *ISN'T* your typical band party. Do you honestly have no problem with these girls doing all these things in YOUR letters?

I think a lot of us are giving a shit because it puts EVERYONE in a bad light, and this stupidity is just confirming the negative opinions already out there.

We work so hard to educate others on the positive things that Greeks do. All that gets thrown out the window when we see bullshit like this.

If I were an ASA, I'd email the user just in case she doesn't know what's going on. Pray that no one in your EO has already seen it.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
Pray that no one in your EO has already seen it.
I saw these pictures online about a year ago. If EO had seen them, they would have taken action by now.