GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,343
5 members and 1,338 guests
acg233, John, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034

Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Arizona State: Student Turning Blue Left at Hospital With Note

See news report, allegations, Sigma Alpha Epsilon statement etc. in verious news stories:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...lp-police-say/

or

http://www.azfamily.com/news/ASU-stu...207360511.html
excerpt:
" . . . at some point, he went into shock, passed out and turned blue

. . . Rather than calling 911, the group took him to the emergency room at Tempe St. Luke's Hospital. There they placed him in a wheelchair with a note indicating that he had had too much to drink. They then left him alone . . . .”
Mohr reportedly is a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon, . . .

SAE's national organization released the following statement about the incident involving Mohr:

"The Sigma Alpha Epsilon headquarters has learned of an incident in which a member of our Arizona Beta chapter at Arizona State University was given medical attention for alcohol poisoning. National staff and local alumni leaders are investigating whether or not the chapter or its members had any affiliation with this incident, and at this time, we have no indication that it occurred in conjunction with any chapter-planned event or activity. The chapter and its members are currently in recess following the end of the academic term."
Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 PM

#1 - Glad they took the guy to the emergency room instead of "Let's wait and see if he gets better."

#2 - Crap that they just abandoned the guy without anyone sticking around. This is your brother. The guy you took an oath with. The one you are supposed to support and have his back. Someone should have stayed with him to answer the ER staff's questions.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
#1 - Glad they took the guy to the emergency room instead of "Let's wait and see if he gets better."

#2 - Crap that they just abandoned the guy without anyone sticking around. This is your brother. The guy you took an oath with. The one you are supposed to support and have his back. Someone should have stayed with him to answer the ER staff's questions.

"Yes" to both points.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

There is a law that exempts new mothers from being charged with abandonment of their newborns if they take them to designated safe havens-it is a "don't ask, don't tell" scenario. i wonder if the same accord was granted college kids, if this would lessen incidents of alcohol/drug related deaths.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

FSUZeta, Clemson has a medical alcohol amnesty policy that is supposed to prevent this exact kind of situation, although I don't know anyone who's ever used it: http://www.clemson.edu/administratio...l-amnesty.html
Maybe ASU has something similar.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
There is a law that exempts new mothers from being charged with abandonment of their newborns if they take them to designated safe havens-it is a "don't ask, don't tell" scenario. i wonder if the same accord was granted college kids, if this would lessen incidents of alcohol/drug related deaths.
I agree. If campuses would let the organizations know that they won't be punished for seeking help, that would go a long way.

Unfortunately, that's not been the case. A couple of years ago, the Alpha Kappa Lambda chapter at Truman State University(MO) had a pledge drink too much (not hazing). Chapter members realized he was in trouble and got help (don't remember if they took him to the hospital or called an ambulance). For doing the responsible thing, TSU gave the AKLs a 2 year suspension.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
FSUZeta, Clemson has a medical alcohol amnesty policy that is supposed to prevent this exact kind of situation, although I don't know anyone who's ever used it: http://www.clemson.edu/administratio...l-amnesty.html
Maybe ASU has something similar.
I feel like there is something similar at Colorado. I can't remember the name right now though.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 06-18-2013, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Update:

ASU has suspended SAE and revoked their recognition as a chapter. They will not be able to apply for reinstatement until September 2017.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...nclick_check=1

Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I was slightly surprised by this editorial by ASU president Michael Crow.

http://www.azcentral.com/opinions/ar...-behavior.html

He usually doesn't come out in favor of Greek life but I will say a few things in it about Alpha Drive seem slightly misrepresented.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, this has gotten enough press in Phoenix that my husband, who does not watch the local news, told me, "Oh, some fraternity got kicked off campus at ASU today." Not something I ever thought to hear out of his mouth since he has absolutely no interest in Greek life. His second comment was, "Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb."

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-19-2013, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I agree. If campuses would let the organizations know that they won't be punished for seeking help, that would go a long way.
My undergrad has a similar policy. It's all about harm reduction and not punishment.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phigirl04 View Post
I was slightly surprised by this editorial by ASU president Michael Crow.

http://www.azcentral.com/opinions/ar...-behavior.html

He usually doesn't come out in favor of Greek life but I will say a few things in it about Alpha Drive seem slightly misrepresented.
knock me over with a feather as he was majorly anti-Greek when I attended ASU.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

At Colorado, the program is called the "good Samaritan" program. Students (who may be intoxicated) who help out a fellow student who has been drinking will not get in any trouble.