GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,328
0 members and 1,328 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnDad View Post
Just finished talking with Emma. She is having a great time! Although it was hot, it seemed to get cooler later in the day. She drank plenty of water so she didn't feel the effects of the heat too much.

Being a huge baseball fan, I have decided to use major league baseball teams to represent the various sororities. These are completely random, so please don't assume that there is any correlation between a sorority and baseball team.

Here goes. Today she visited the following:

Dodgers
Orioles
Pirates
Astros
Cardinals
Yankees
Red Sox
Blue Jays
Rays
Reds
Brewers

She did take some notes in a notebook she had with her, and she found a connection with many of them, but she still struggled a few times remembering which one was which. Generally, most of them made a favorable impression on her. Probably the three which stood out to her most today were: the Pirates, the Blue Jays, and the Reds.

She likes her Pi Chi group and her Pi Chi is really nice.

Oh...she already has a monster blister from the shoes she was wearing today.

Tommorrow she visits the final 6 groups and then she and the other members of her Pi Chi group will fill out their preference forms for use for the first cuts.
So glad she had a great day, I'm hoping she sees the Giants tomorrow ( I'm a baseball fan too!) I look forward to hearing more!

GPhiB
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2010, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Finally! I've been dying for an update all night

I hope she has fun tomorrow visiting the rest of the chapters!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to Emma, it's great news that she is having a good time, but a shame about the blister. Here's to another good day tomorrow for her, as well as all the Auburn pnm's.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to all!

And I know that this won't surprise anyone: Go Dodgers!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi,

Glad to join this thread. My daughter, "Cassie" is also a PNM. Today she visited 10 groups and will visit 7 more tomorrow. She said that it was very hot, but a good day. She liked all but about 2 of the groups. Two or three groups made very positive first impressions on her. In general she liked the groups that made an effort to have you meet lots of people more than the groups where you met only one or two members.

On a less positive note, she is very stressed out over her new roommate.
They are polar opposites. The new roomie has already said she likes to smoke, drink and sleep with lots of boys. My daughter is pretty much a straight arrow. Any good advice?
Old 08-09-2010, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Regarding that monster blister...does she have those special blister bandaids that replicate skin? They stay on better than regular bandaids and fit comfortably inside shoes. They totally saved my life at Live 8!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aumom2010 View Post
My daughter is pretty much a straight arrow. Any good advice?
A *straight arrow*? Then she should go Pi Phi.

Just kidding! She needs to quietly confide in her dorm mother; there may be other girls in the same situation or maybe someone in a single who needs a roommate. Good luck!

ETA: We only had to do this once when one of our twins was assigned to room with a girl who was 4 1/2 months pregnant. The girl would have false labor pains and moan and groan all night and after a month, our daughter was a basket case!

Last edited by carnation; 08-09-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hi,

Glad to join this thread. My daughter, "Cassie" is also a PNM. Today she visited 10 groups and will visit 7 more tomorrow. She said that it was very hot, but a good day. She liked all but about 2 of the groups. Two or three groups made very positive first impressions on her. In general she liked the groups that made an effort to have you meet lots of people more than the groups where you met only one or two members.

They are polar opposites. The new roomie has already said she likes to smoke, drink and sleep with lots of boys. My daughter is pretty much a straight arrow. Any good advice?
Good Luck mom to you and your daughter! I hope she finds an org to call home.

As for the roomie, that is a tough one. It all depends on the dynamics at the school and the ability to make changes at this point. I remember I had a "polar opposite" roommate as well. My suitemate and I adored one another and we wanted to make a change. Both of our roommates would not agree to a change. Looking back, there were rough times, but after pledging and finding a new home it didn't matter as much. She will be so busy and life will be exciting with her new sisters. The time moves along rapidly. This is all about growing up, maturing, and life learning experiences. You daughter won't always be able to have things the way she would prefer and the roomie situation is just one of the first to come.
It all works out in the end. Sure, she will have rough patches, but it will be ok. She will survive! lol (After all, she needs some things she can complain about to her mom...just kidding)

Last edited by baci; 08-09-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sorry she has to deal with that. I had the same problem my freshman year and it can be brutal. In this case, communication is KEY. If you daughter doesn't want her smoking/drinking/sleeping around in the room, she needs to SAY SO. If her roommate subsequently blows her off, she should check with her residental advisor. Hopefully she won't end up physically removing drunk boys who pass out in her room (and I mean litterally picking them up and dropping them in the hallway) at 3am when she has 7:30 am classes the next day! It's a tough experience, but that's part of college. Just remind her that it's only for a little while and then she'll get to pick her roommates. And pretty soon she'll hopefully be so busy with her new sisters that she won't have time to think about it! Best of luck to her!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAZD2001 View Post
When I went through recruitment (9 years ago!!! ) Bid Day was on Sunday and classes started the next day. This meant no New Member sleepover. So the next year Bid Day was moved back to Saturday. As far as I know, the Recruitment hasn't been changed since then.
Nine years ago? Try 30 years ago !
Old 08-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

i would say that daughter should she is she can switch. i had become fast friends with my dorm next door neighbor, and neither of us were getting along with our roommates. we toyed with the idea of switching roommates, but in the end we did not, because we did not want to hurt either of their feelings. it was a mistake, not to have switched.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

My daughter had a rough first semester a few years back. She definitely needs to confide in the RA. There are fines for things like drinking and smoking in the dorm, so that should help. I told my daughter to stick it out and she was miserable. Her roommate made a 0.0 after first semester and is no longer at Auburn. Housing may have a solution. The GREAT thing about Auburn is that they care about the students. I hope it works out for her and she finds a soultion.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Ugh, blisters are no fun!

I do marathons and triathlons, and I work in a job where I have to wear heels/dress shoes often. There's one product that saves my feet from turning into hamburger, and it is beyond awesome. It's called Bodyglide (yeah, I know, silly name) but trust me, it saves your feet (or thighs, or armpits, or anywhere else you may have blisters/chaffing). It's sweatproof, waterproof, odorless and colorless. I swipe a little on and off I go.

http://www.rei.com/product/745879

That's the small size, it's tiny enough to be TSA (and purse!) safe, but there's another that comes in a larger size and it looks like a tube of deodorant (DO NOT CONFUSE THE TWO!). A little goes a long way!
Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
A *straight arrow*? Then she should go Pi Phi.
Always thinking, carnation!

Seriously, though, as others have said, this girl needs to speak with her RA about it to at least try to switch to a better situation. The fact is that LOTS of girls smoke/drink/sleep with guys... at least this roommate was nice enough to be straight up about it, I guess! So even if she switches roommates to another "straight arrow" like herself, that doesn't mean the new roomie will remain a straight arrow all year long.

Fun fact: I, like carnation's daughter, had a pregnant roommate. It was actually awesome because she always stayed at her boyfriend's place and basically just used her closet in our room and that was it. Then she moved out when she had the baby and I had the whole place to myself. I don't know why her parents bothered paying for the dorm at all!
Old 08-09-2010, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

BandAid makes really good blister band aids. They stay on and create like a comfort pad in the blister area.

As for the roomate issue - my first roomate was an over the top partier and quickly had a reputation with the boys within the first two weeks of being on campus. I lucked out because one of my suite mates dropped out of school because she was very homesick and just didn't go to class. I ended up moving in with my suitemate and my first roomate roomate moved down the hall with another girl who was a super partier. (sidenote: Both girls ended up getting cut very badly during recruitment - most likely due to their reputation). Your daughter may just want to live with the situation until recruitment is over, and see if other people are dropping out or want to switch rooms. But she should speak with her RA sooner rather than later about the issues.