GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,495
0 members and 1,495 guests
No Members online

Old 09-04-2002, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Possible Hate Crime @ University of Southern Mississippi

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Hate Crime @ University of Southern Mississippi

This happened during the game with USM (PWI) and JSU (HBCU - my alma mater). It is very hazy at this point, more details will be available soon, I hope.

USM Campus Police Investigate Possible Hate Crime

(Hattiesburg-AP) -- University of Southern Mississippi campus police are investigating claims that four men were attacked on campus during the school's season-opening football game against Jackson State.

Campus police said during a news conference today that they will be reporting their findings to the FBI.

The victims, who are black, claim the attack was racially motivated. U-S-M officials says they will be re-interviewing the victims and witnesses.

Darrell Davis of Louisville, says he and three other men were attacked by about 20 people. Davis says his brother, Eric, sustained the worst injuries and is still recovering.

Davis' attorney, Ramel Cotton, of Jackson, says, Eric Davis has been treated in a hospital twice since the attack Saturday. Cotton says the Davis' were approached by a mob as they were driving through campus. Darrell Davis says he had a light concussion

There are also reports that members of a U-S-M fraternity may have been involved. Campus police have NOT released details of the incident.

School officials say they have contacted other law enforcement agencies for their assistance in the investigation.

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Old 09-04-2002, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Here is another article.

http://www.wlbt.com/Global/story.asp...3&nav=1L7tB1gZ
Old 09-09-2002, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

USM is my alma mater! I never experinced an racial problems. I guess there is a first time for everything though. I really hope that that this one situation doesn't make people think the whole campus is like that because it not.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Here is an update from Hattiesburg's newspaper. http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/n...es/116883.html

Thesweetestone, USM is also my alma mater! When were you there?

Old 09-24-2002, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

August 1999-August 2001!