GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,621
0 members and 1,621 guests
No Members online

Old 12-19-2003, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

At our holiday party earlier this week, we played a gift exchange game and I got stuck with a bobble-head santa. Everyone else got wine, books, tupperware, coffee sets, bath & body, but I got a bobble-head santa

The worst gift I have received from a relative was a dollar-store picture frame that had silver, pink, blue, and green INSECTS glued all over it. Not lady bugs or something cute like that, like insects with long legs and stuff. Plus they were covered in glitter. This gift came from the same person who gave my 10 year old cousin and I the same hair-band with a bow on it (I was 23). Another year they gave everyone these scented candles that were so potent everyone was choking when we opened them and two of us got asthma attacks!
Old 12-24-2003, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to krayziigyrl
Cheap Aunt

I have this one cheap Aunt that every year I can expect an awful gift from her. Last year it was a strip of felt that I think she thought I would use as a scarf. Its a dust rag now...

One year she got me a pack of Pony tail holders ( the ones with the balls on it)
another year some stinky imitation perfume... it burned when I put it on my hand.... and the list goes on.
And its not like she can't afford nice gifts shes just cheap
Old 12-26-2003, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

About 8 years ago, my aunt got all of her nieces and nephews a bookmark for Christmas. Not even a nice one with a tassel, just laminated paper.

We all laughed really hard and made jokes, so she started to feel bad and wrote us all checks after that. We really didn't think that was the final present. I'll never forget that Christmas gift.

It doesn't help that she doesn't have any children and is rich. That just made it even funnier.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
this is prolly the funniest thread ever put on GC -

okay - this isn't my gift, but a guy i dated - he's got a rich uncle who sent him the same damn sweater THREE years in a row! horrible looking thing, but to make it worse, they sent the SAME size each year?!?!

my sister received a hot glue gun one year from an aunt - which is fine if you're into crafts but my sister was 8 at the time and a tomboy...

and my own -
i received some horrible stank perfume in a third grade gift exchange. i was all like "mom - what do i do with this?" she just threw it away and got me something else...

work gift exchange this year - candy canes and two battery operated light up "candles" - huh? once again, everybody else got bath and body works, gift certificates, real candles, etc. worst part is that i'm such a horrible person when it comes to faking interest in a crappy gift...

i'll prolly think of some more later on -

marissa
A GD
Old 12-31-2003, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aurora_borealis
Girl he graduated from West Point, it took an act of Congress to make him GENTLEMAN!!! My roommate saw that hairbrush and swore it came from the dollar store, she also nicknamed him Lt. Jack @$$. I always pick the WRONG brother. You have to wonder why he didn't have a girlfriend until 23, furthermore his mama said to me "His brother had a lot of girlfriends, we just don't know what happened with him". He has an Oedipus complex, that is what happened!!!

My sister knows I have a clown phobia and that trifling no good heffa gives me a clown ornament every year, bint!!!
LMAO!!! Sorry, Annie, I don't mean to laugh at YOU, but that is some funny isht!! One year, in our faculty gift exchange, some foo gave me a toy frog - and the whole school knows I am horribly afraid of frogs!
Old 01-02-2004, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

love my grandmother to death but...

a few years back, my great grandmother got me a kitchen timer. for what? there was definitely an awkward silence that xmas morning.

another year another grandmother got me a jehovah witnesses (her faith) bible with my name embossed on the cover. for one, im not jehovah's witness. two, i dont even go to church, and i was maybe 8 or 9 at the time, so didnt see the need for it. three, my name was spelled wrong! and that is a pet peeve of mine.

heres an embarassing gift... i was maybe 16 at the time, and my uncle got me mickey mouse underwear! not one pair, but 3! and he insisted on me showing everyone, putting it on the xmas tape and everything! and even more embarassing, he had got them at a kids store, and i was nowhere near a kids size!

theres my story.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Post don't know if i ever posted this but.....

a few years back, a co-worker of my husband's gave he and i for the holidays a religious calendar (something you get annually from a funeral home or your doctor's office) and a jigsaw puzzle of new york city. needless to say i was not pleased. out of tact and never tossed the puzzle but gave it to charity.
Old 07-08-2004, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was a junior in high school another Christmas rolls around and me and my then best friend decided to give each other gifts. I go get her some Victoria Secret smell goods and some lil cute trinket with something about best friends on it. Well my mama goes to her house and she sends me my gift home wit her. Yall I opened that bag and seen some foot scrub and lotion. I politely cussed her out and gave her "gifts" back at school the next day. Then stopped by her house later on and got my gifts back. I would have been grateful for the gifts if I was having difficulty with crusty heels but I definitely was not because please believe I checked. It definitely was no money issue because she sho did get her funk mouth boyfriend a gold bracelet when he should have got a gift card to the nearest doctor for that halotosis (sp?). Just dogged her potna out is what she did.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

We used to draw names at school. One year the principal gave the teacher whose name she drew a pocket calendar that was 2 years old! Talk about a cheap-azz b*&%h!! I'm sure someone had given it to her when it was new.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:17 PM

hahaha this thread is too funny!

- As an engagement gift, we got a chip-and-dip bowl, a regular bowl, and some mugs in an absolutely HIDEOUS tulip pattern. It may not have been cheap, but it looked cheap.

- As a wedding gift (from Mr. aephi alum's cheap-@$$ cousins) we got one of those 3-tier petits fours serving things (what are they called...) This was an obvious re-gift - the boxes were pretty beat up and had been gift-wrapped at least once before (you could see where tape had been used to attach the previous gift wrap to the box). It couldn't have even set the original giver back by more than $20 or so.

- We have this ridiculous ceramic teapot (I think it was a housewarming gift) that is made up to look like a table set for the Jewish Sabbath dinner on Friday night (candles, wine, bread). We would like to re-gift it, but we're having trouble finding someone who (a) is Jewish and (b) will forgive us

- When I was a preteen/teen, my great-aunt would give me these baggy sweatshirts because "I know that's what all the young folks are wearing these days." It was (mid 80's) but just because everyone else was wearing them didn't mean I wanted to!

- When my husband had his bar mitzvah, the aforementioned cheap-@$$ cousins gave him a dictionary as a gift. Not even a good one - this dictionary was missing enough of its pages to cover about 3 letters of the alphabet. Said cousin's son is going to become a bar mitzvah in a few weeks... I suggested to Mr. aephi alum that he give the dictionary back.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
ttt

Well, I have read but never posted in this thread, so here goes:

Well, fortunately, I have been victim to receiving VERY few cheap gifts, but here are some that I really didn't care for:

1987 (high school freshman)--my grandmother gave me and my younger brother Frito-Lay sweatshirts--mine was a yellow shirt that had a replica of the Fritos corn chip bag design--in large lettering and all. Yall, I was literally a walking Fritos bag.

I wore it to school one time and got clowned royally. Everyone was singing the then-current Fritos jingle "Munchabunchamunchabuncha Fritos corn chip lunch".

I never wore that sweatshirt again, even though a cute junior consoled me by admitting that she had a Ruffles bag sweatshirt.

At least my younger brother had a cooler looking Chester Cheetah sweatshirt with the tagline: "It's not easy being cheesy".

1988--my mother's boyfriend gave me some one-piece pajamas, you know, the ones with the buttoned-up trapdoor on the butt. I wore it the first few weeks to please him, then I "lost" them.

2003--You remember the mullet craze on GC last year? Well, my youngest brother, the family smart-aleck, got me the ultimate gag gift: A box of Pink relaxer kit.

Last edited by Rain Man; 11-30-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Studio 33 (aka The Bob Barker Studio), CBS Television City
TTT again

4 days to Christmas, and there are no more bad gift stories to share? Too bad, 'cause I found them really hilarious.

ETA: I found an article on today's MSN that addresses this very topic:

15 Worst Holiday Gift Ideas

Last edited by Rain Man; 12-21-2004 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

the most wonderful time of the year.

Last edited by CrimsonTide4; 11-27-2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok my husband's side of the fam gives very strange gifts. One year for his housewarming he got:

1 large ruffled pillow sham that was green with big pink flowers on it (he had a king size bed). (That sucker went to goodwill) and his cousins that gave it to him are our age. Why would you give someone 1 sham not even in the package? Don't clean out your closet and give out your junk..

These old mc donald had a farm plates that had cows and pigs on them (still in the box going to goodwill)

A couple of Christmases ago his mom gave him some hair tonic! Yes the kind that you see in the barber shop that is green (she does hair now that she is retired). I felt so bad for him that year. Just don't buy him anything or ask me what he likes. Last year she went on and on about how she doesn't do Christmas (but will do the family pollyana )Since she asked my mom who she was shopping for and she said just us two i guess she felt bad. So my hubby got a pair of sweat pants and I got a scarf/glove/hat set (that I can't wear because it breaks my hair off). This year I have her for the pollyana and she puts 'surprise me'...I have half a mind to give her back the scarf set...

Old 11-29-2005, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Has anyone ever gotten a gift so bad that it was funny? Our family had this really tacky coaster set that kept getting "recycled" - the joke was to find a creative way of packaging it, and give it to another unsuspecting person next year.