GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 920
2 members and 918 guests
chi-o_cat, indygphib

Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

The webinar sounds great. And I also have a D going thru and this is all great advice. I have told her face each day like its the first day and choose what is best for her.

But as a mom I know it will be a nerve racking week...
Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter went through recruitment last fall. It was crazy. After reading many threads on here the one thing I told her was don't fall in love with any one sorority, house (structure), colors anything!! I wanted her to understand that invites change every day you may see the same house and then "poof" they didn't invite to the next round, but dang it all if ABC keeps on sending those invites. It's funny, crazy and exciting. What a rollercoaster. But I must say my daughter is thrilled where she is and her entire wardrobe is all greek!! Good luck to your daughter!
Old 05-19-2012, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I told my daughters lots of things about recruitment but I did NOT tell them about hand signals, notebooks under cushions, rankings, voting, (nothing about MS, obviously) etc. I conveniently left that out because that stuff was out of her control and would freak her out further than she was already freaked out.

My decision to give her input was based on providing info that would help her have a better rush.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
notebooks under cushions
Huh?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

For quick notes jotted down between parties about who you met, how the conversation went, etc.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Those must be some big ol' cushions, because I (rushee I) would most likely sit on one and commence reading it.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha! They were really small notepads and they fit nicely underneath sofa cushions, behind plants, etc!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

If I had a daughter going through, I would advise her to look sharp. That's a given. Enjoy yourself. Find something good about every group. (Make a private game of it. That will help you stay upbeat...might as well have fun!! Not one of us is too good to be engaging.) Wear shoes that not only look good, but that are confortable. All of us know that after a day of wearing horrible shoes, any one of us can lose out spark. Don't worry so much about what to say. Listen, smile and relax. Many times the rooms will be so noisey that it's difficult to hear and be heard. Make sure you don't have horrible breath. If you lean in to speak, you don't want to knock anyone out with bad breath. (If your gums are red or if they bleed, you need a dental cleaning and need to brush and floss every day...two weeks of perfect hygiene will turn red gums nice and pink.) I have seen many a beautiful girl make me want to take two steps back because of bad breath.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I wouldn't tell her anything about MS...I only know how my chapter did it. That would only be a distraction. I went into it blindly and had a blast! I wish I hadn't thought certain chapters were creepy or not good enough for me. Later I realized that they were all good...even the ones that seem to struggle. My daughter went through and was released near the end by two of her favorites. She continued on with recruitment, gave others a chance and was initiated. I regret that I encouraged her to list her legacy connections. That might have hurt her more than helped her. As it turned out, she really wasn't as interested in all of it as I was. We are different people. It took me 21 years to realise that, and now we are closer than we possibly could be.

Last edited by ZTA zetahunny; 05-21-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks again ladies for all of your advice. My daughter is starting to get a little nervous about rush, even though she "can't think about it right now." She's busy with finals and graduation. My son is home from his college right now and was talking to her about rush. He goes to Mizzou where sorority recruitment is a little more intense than Iowa, I hear. I think he freaked her out a bit. I think, at this point, I'm a little more nervous about all of this than she is. I really don't want to be a helicopter mom, but I'm afraid I feel a small propellar popping out of my right ear!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Helicoptor parent ... I like that term. Describes my parents to a key.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazing View Post
Helicoptor parent ... I like that term. Describes my parents to a key.
The phrase you are looking for is "to a T".
Old 06-02-2012, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
Do you have the link to that webinar?
[site offline, link removed]