GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,287
2 members and 2,285 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-15-2014, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

UChicago recruitment?

Hi,

I will be attending the University of Chicago in the fall. There are only four NPC sororities at the school and there's not a lot of information on the internet about recruitment - Panhellenic only has a Facebook page that was started in January and the only details I can find about recruitment are from a blog that was written in 2011. I also can't find contact information for the Greek life office. Do any of you have insight into what UChicago recruitment is like or any suggestions on how to get in touch with someone in the Greek life office? I'd like to ask where to send recs/what I should wear to each party/approximately what the dues will be. The school is on the quarter system and recruitment won't start until October, so I can also just sit tight until further along in the summer and see if they provide more information. Thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-15-2014, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Looks like they don't put the information you need out front. Looks like the Greek Life contact will be in the "Reynolds Club & Student Activities" Department. Here's a link with some of the names of folks who might be contacts ->New Staff At Student Activities
Old 06-15-2014, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as recs, that isn't your concern. The women writing them should know what to do with them, and if not, sending the rec to their headquarters will work. But I think I'm pretty safe in saying recs will probably be appreciated there but in no way necessary. This is not the SEC, as demonstrated by the fact that there isn't a mountain of information available to you. They are probably assuming you will get the information you need at the meeting right before rush starts, or something like that. So yes, try to get the information so you're prepared, but don't drive yourself crazy over it.

I'm glad to see interest in Greek life at U of C. Hopefully you're part of a growing trend for such a great school.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the advice! I'm also glad to hopefully be part of Greek scene at Chicago - I've heard that there is still some anti-Greek sentiment among some upperclassmen and other subsets of the community, but hopefully Greek life will continue to grow.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
As far as recs, that isn't your concern. The women writing them should know what to do with them, and if not, sending the rec to their headquarters will work. But I think I'm pretty safe in saying recs will probably be appreciated there but in no way necessary. This is not the SEC, as demonstrated by the fact that there isn't a mountain of information available to you. They are probably assuming you will get the information you need at the meeting right before rush starts, or something like that. So yes, try to get the information so you're prepared, but don't drive yourself crazy over it.

I'm glad to see interest in Greek life at U of C. Hopefully you're part of a growing trend for such a great school.
Just a caution, while UC is not competitive in the SEC sense, at least one of the sororities at UC cannot pledge a PNM without a rec as matter of national policy. Also, the sorority culture is rather unique at UC and recs would likely open more doors for a PNM.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Are all of the sororities NPC? Do they still have locals as well?
Old 06-18-2014, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm pretty sure that they're all NPC, but I could be wrong about that. One rec/chapter should be enough here, right?
Old 10-08-2014, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment starts tomorrow! I'm very excited to see how it goes and where I'll end up.

For people in future years searching for information, recruitment starts the the second week of school. During first week there's a Meet the Greeks event where you'll mingle with sorority members and talk to them about their sorority, what they like about it, etc. There's also a pre recruitment event during first week which is similar to Meet the Greeks, except that the members can't tell you which sorority they're in unless you specifically ask them. There are three rounds of recruitment: Thursday night (visit all four sororities), Saturday afternoon (visit three sororities), and Sunday afternoon (pref day) and night (bid night). I have heard that campus total will be approximately 130 this year.

ETA: Round 1 attire is jeans, boots, a nice top; Round 2 is fashionable business casual; Round 3 is a nice dress. Also, you must attend one info session the week before to learn about what to wear etc.

Last edited by e813; 10-08-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck. I hope you find a new home.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camom View Post
Good luck. I hope you find a new home.
Thank you!!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

And, for all those wondering, the NPC groups that are at Univ. of Chicago are:
AOPi
DG
Theta
Pi Phi

e813 -- Good luck in Recruitment and let us know where you find a home!
Old 10-08-2014, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

To whomever had asked up-thread; there are groups that are non-NPC on campus as well.

ΑΓΔ
Old 10-08-2014, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to you! Have fun!