GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,291
0 members and 2,291 guests
No Members online

Old 02-25-2012, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
This website looks like pink threw up. If you're interested in P31, try this one: http://www.proverbs31.org/ My good friend LeAnn is the Executive Director and they are all awesome.
Thanks! "Pink Threw up!" ha! It may just be you're uhhh, .... laid back approach to expressing yourself?? that had me thinking you're comment was rude? lol! I see you've got a way with words.. LOL!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeleilori View Post
oh no, not her! She literally CRAVES my attention! It can be a little bit daunting at times, because I am so busy homeschooling the three of them, cooking cleaning, taking care of the 1 yr old and working 4 hours every day from home. lol! The boys dont care as much, but she wants some "no boy" time.. lol!
Then just say "every Thursday evening (or whenever your husband can take care of the boys) is our no boy time." Making a sweatshirt for it doesn't make it happen. Make a plan and stick to it, no excuses. I guarantee she'll appreciate that more than any Greek letters.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks! "Pink Threw up!" ha! It may just be you're uhhh, .... laid back approach to expressing yourself?? that had me thinking you're comment was rude? lol! I see you've got a way with words.. LOL!

I fully admit to having sarcastic tendencies. Pink throw up could be taken as rude, or taken as a "to each his own, but not for me". Unless it's your website, it doesn't really matter. Either way, I'm pretty flippant around here and don't take much said here seriously...most of us are that way, which is why I think you perceived things different than we meant them.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yes, it is offensive because you're just kind of doing this randomly and not bothering to research in the least. Why don't you just call it the adeleilori and little girl club? Why does everything have to have Greek letters attached to it? Those Greek letters we wear are not just for fun or a joke, they MEAN something to us.
I'm sorry, 33! You're right! I had no idea it would be offensive! I have actually been researching like crazy, but had no idea that it was even slightly offensive.. I wouldn't know, i've never been a part of anything like this, so I was honestly clueless about how strongly you all felt about the letters.. I thought this little venture into the forums would be a good bit of research as well, and it turned out to be, but in a WHOLE different way - I found out I was being offensive by using the greek letters!! and I did NOT mean to offend anyone! Please accept my apology!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I fully admit to having sarcastic tendencies. Pink throw up could be taken as rude, or taken as a "to each his own, but not for me". Unless it's your website, it doesn't really matter. Either way, I'm pretty flippant around here and don't take much said here seriously...most of us are that way, which is why I think you perceived things different than we meant them.
I probably did.. Walked in completely blind as to what to expect. No, I didn't take the threw up comment as rude at all.. thought it was funny.. lol! Thanks for the help, I like the other site!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Then just say "every Thursday evening (or whenever your husband can take care of the boys) is our no boy time." Making a sweatshirt for it doesn't make it happen. Make a plan and stick to it, no excuses. I guarantee she'll appreciate that more than any Greek letters.
Oh I completely agree! and we do already do that as well! The club idea is just more of a theme I guess for us to have projects to work around - together. But again.. I can totalyl just make this soem little group with a name we come up with together.. it doedn't have to stomp on greek lettering. (I didn't know!) I hear you! and thanks!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherKD View Post
Yes. Not only is it offensive, it is patently ridiculous. I cant tell people I'm a doctor cause I didn't go to med school, so I don't have a MD I can use after my name. I wasn't in the military, so I can't say I have a silver star. You weren't initiated into whatever group you decide to pick out of a hat, so you can't say you were.
Oh no, and please believe me when I say I was NOT trying to do that!! In no way were we trying to claim a sorority that already exists! I wasn't even thinking along those lines... Like I said I was just coming up with a meaningful name for us, but I can see now how that can mean something completely different to you all, so I'll reconsider that and just come up with something else. It doesn't have to be greek to be meaninful to her.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
From what I can tell, this website teaches girls about Christ using antiquated "princess" stereotypes about women. So, my assumption is that you would essentially be looking to "princessify" the idea of a sorority, and that is distasteful to me, and probably a lot of others here.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry I'm late to this little Club....but I have a few things to add.

First) Have you ever heard of that little organization called THE GIRL SCOUTS?? You want to really bond with your daughter & do stuff, form a troop & be the leader. I did it for 6 years. Some of the best memories my oldest daughter had was me doing that for her.

Second) Most of us are moms, & quite a few of us are "old" (just ask) so it isn't like we don't understand you trying something different with your precious girl.

Third) My oldest had a group of friends who got together every Tuesday after school & us moms would join along. The girls ended up naming the TAS club (Tuesday After School) - not random Greek letters picked by us moms. A club is a club to a little girl no matter what you call it.

Forth) I don't understand if you are journalist that you didn't understand the importance of Greek Life from being in college (unless you got your degree online). Then you come to GC & I believe you didn't read any of the previous post or you would have understood the confusion by stating your randomly wanted to Make a Greek Sorority for you & your daughter.

I have more...But I don't care to go on.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessamy View Post
I would be concerned if my mom would do this much for me and I'm in college. My mom would tell me to get over myself and find something else to do with my time aka focus on my education. Another question, how old is your daughter?
Would you really?? You would be "concerned"? That's a bit confusing to me.. why concerned? She's 9 and she's the only girl in a house full of boys.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
She said she was 9 - which is why I'm not convinced that a NINE year old is interested in a sorority and the mother is being dragged into it.

"You could always AI"
oh, I missed this one.. I wouldn't say I'm being dragged.. I just decided to do something for her.. she saw an episode of some show called "greeks" (which she's not allowed to watch at home, by the way!) at a friends house, and ever since has been mesmerized by the idea! LOL! It was her first sight of a sorority, a house, the sisters, the colors, etc.. a 9 yr olds view of it all..lol! A club would do some of the same things though, without the letters, so that'll work too.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Would you really?? You would be "concerned"? That's a bit confusing to me.. why concerned? She's 9 and she's the only girl in a house full of boys.
I posted that before I realized that I over read the sentence about her age.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
From what I can tell, this website teaches girls about Christ using antiquated "princess" stereotypes about women. So, my assumption is that you would essentially be looking to "princessify" the idea of a sorority, and that is distasteful to me, and probably a lot of others here.
Well, I won't be doing any of that now.. because I had no idea of how deep this all ran.. I was just looking for some letters! LOL! I promise that's it! But now I know that it is offensive and becasue I dont want to offend, I'm just gonna go with some little club idea for her..
Old 02-25-2012, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZsis&mom View Post
Sorry I'm late to this little Club....but I have a few things to add.

First) Have you ever heard of that little organization called THE GIRL SCOUTS?? You want to really bond with your daughter & do stuff, form a troop & be the leader. I did it for 6 years. Some of the best memories my oldest daughter had was me doing that for her.

Second) Most of us are moms, & quite a few of us are "old" (just ask) so it isn't like we don't understand you trying something different with your precious girl.

Third) My oldest had a group of friends who got together every Tuesday after school & us moms would join along. The girls ended up naming the TAS club (Tuesday After School) - not random Greek letters picked by us moms. A club is a club to a little girl no matter what you call it.

Forth) I don't understand if you are journalist that you didn't understand the importance of Greek Life from being in college (unless you got your degree online). Then you come to GC & I believe you didn't read any of the previous post or you would have understood the confusion by stating your randomly wanted to Make a Greek Sorority for you & your daughter.

I have more...But I don't care to go on.

I have heard of the girl scouts, but she's more intersted in doing things one on one with mom.. From the initial comments, and the many why's? It did seem as if no one understood me trying to do something different with her, but now I see that it may have been why the letters? why a sorority type club? but I wouldn't have known that initially.. I think we're all clear about that now though.. and now that I've learned the importance of these letters, I'll be using something else..

I'm glad TAS worked for you're girls.. I'll come up with something just as cute for my little one, and be sure not to do the greek letters, I get it now thanks to some of the ladies here!

I'm not sure I really get what you're saying in your last point there. but, yes, I am a journalist, graduated form Ga State University and had no dealings with greek life, so not sure why its confusing that I didn't know the importance of the letters. Because I never mingled with greeks, all I saw were people with letters.. thats it really.. didnt' really glean anything deeper and never thought a second time about it. Just thought of them like the other clubs on campus, but with sister hoods and houses, I guess.. I did actually read the posts, but they didnt' help me understand anything, most of them (not all) simply said "why?" that didn't lead to any further education on how greeks feel about their letters.. lol! But further into the conversation, some deeper conversation began to develop that did lead to understanding.. and that's what helped me get it. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Whatever you end up deciding, I wish you the best. I'm glad you've relaxed a bit and can appreciate things a little from our perspective. Cherish the time with her now! Before you know it, she will be wanting to do everything with her friends and she'll be 16 and hanging with mom won't be nearly as fun!