GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,520
0 members and 1,520 guests
No Members online

Old 06-16-2012, 04:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I Need Some Help Please

Hi there, I'm new to GC and I have found this website to be very helpful in learning how GLO are within the United States. I am from the Bahamas and I am currently in a Bahamian founded sorority. I am moving to the US in January and I will be attending an HBCU in Florida. From what I have read it is not possible to change sororities once you have joined one. May question is, if I have never been part of a sorority located in the US, does this rule still apply to me? I am aware that it does not seem loyal to switch sororities when I am already in one but the issue is that I am getting married and moving to the US permanently with my Fiancé and I would like to be part of a GLO that was founded in the US. I would like to join one of the Divine 9 when I move. I want to have the same unity and sisterhood that I see among these sororities which is not in the sorority I am currently in. It is easy to want to switch because there is no sense of unity of any kind in my sorority. We don't even socialize or do community work any-more it is really sad because these are all the things I joined the organization for. I would be fine with staying part of my sorority if we were active and if I had a strong bond with my sisters - or any bond at all - but I barely seem them or know who many of them are. It seems like they just want to be part of the sorority for notoriety but I want more than that.

Thank you to anyone who can assist me by answering my question.

Last edited by Greek_Keyki; 06-16-2012 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Corrections
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_Keyki View Post
Hi there, I'm new to GC and I have found this website to be very helpful in learning how GLO are within the United States. I am from the Bahamas and I am currently in a Bahamian founded sorority. I am moving to the US in January and I will be attending an HBCU in Florida. From what I have read it is not possible to change sororities once you have joined one. My question is, if I have never been apart of a sorority located in the US, does this rule still apply to me? I am aware that it does not seem loyal to switch sororities when I am already in one but the issue is that I am getting married and moving to the US permanently with my Fiancé and I would like to be apart of a GLO that was founded in the US. I would like to join one of the Divine 9 when I move. I want to have the same unity and sisterhood that I see among these sororities which is not in the sorority I am currently in. It is easy to want to switch because there is no sense of unity of any kind in my sorority. We don't even socialize or do community work any-more it is really sad because these are all the things I joined the organization for. I would be fine with staying apart of my sorority if we were active and if I had a strong bond with my sisters - or any bond at all - but I barley seem them or know who many of them are. It seems like they just want to be apart of the sorority for notoriety but I want more than that.

Thank you to anyone who can assist me by answering my question.
You will figure this out once you meet members of the NPHC sororities and research NPHC sororities.

You do not want to be "apart" or "apart of."
Old 06-16-2012, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Here! I found some help via Yahoo! Answers:

Quote:
Apart means "at a distance" or "separate," as in "His travels keep us apart."

Part means "a portion of" something; it can also mean to separate. "I have a new part for my car." "When people are no longer in love, they often part."
Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8005027AAlwjrT
Old 06-16-2012, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_Keyki View Post
I would be fine with staying apart of my sorority if we were active and if I had a strong bond with my sisters - or any bond at all - but I barley seem them or know who many of them are.
Also, here's what you said:

Here's what you meant:
Quote:
bare·ly/ˈbe(ə)rlē/

Adverb:
  • Only just; almost not: "she nodded, barely able to speak"; "a barely perceptible pause".
  • Only a short time before: "they had barely sat down when forty policemen swarmed in".
Old 06-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Banned

LOL. The funny thing is I had initially bolded "barley" but then I convinced myself that it really said "barely".

There are NPHC collegiate and alumnae/alumni/graduate chapters in the Bahamas. GC has three cool posters who want to be apart of something. Totally awesome.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
GC has three cool posters who want to be apart of something. Totally awesome.
Why is it that the super duper cool ones ALWAYS want to be apart of something? We should encourage that apartness.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshsx1 View Post
Here! I found some help via Yahoo! Answers:

Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8005027AAlwjrT
Thank you for your help with the grammatical corrections. I just wanted some assistance so that I can know if it is possible to join one of the divine 9 based on my situation. If the answer is no then that's okay I just wanted to know. I have no problems following the rules and regulations of the NPHC. It seems as though more emphases is being placed on my grammar than the question I must admit. I was never the best in my English class but I did attempt to be as grammatically correct as possible.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Why is it that the super duper cool ones ALWAYS want to be apart of something? We should encourage that apartness.
I am sorry if I offended you all. I was simply trying to ask a question. Is it wrong to post in this forum because I am not in an American sorority? I am just asking because I feel as though my reception is somewhat cold. If that is the case please let me know because I do not wish to offend anybody.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I cannot help you with Divine 9 specific answers as I am not a member of a Divine 9 sorority. Check with the Greek Life office at your new school when you arrive on campus. They can answer all of your questions for you.

Good luck with your future endeavors and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

DaffyKD
Old 06-16-2012, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
I cannot help you with Divine 9 specific answers as I am not a member of a Divine 9 sorority. Check with the Greek Life office at your new school when you arrive on campus. They can answer all of your questions for you.

Good luck with your future endeavors and congratulations on your upcoming nuptials.

DaffyKD
Thank you for the congrats and also for your assistance.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

The moral of the story is "ask people you know in real life, as Greekchat is not the appropriate place to ask these questions."

Good luck.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
The moral of the story is "ask people you know in real life, as Greekchat is not the appropriate place to ask these questions."

Good luck.
Yes, I can see that now. Thanks for letting me know for the future.