GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Phi Beta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,281
0 members and 2,281 guests
No Members online

Old 11-07-2005, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Jesicca
Lightbulb Big/Little Revealing

Hey To All the G-Phi-B's

I am a Gamma Phi at the Beta Gamma chapter in Bowling Green, Ohio. I am a New Member Educator assistant and we just got a GREAT bunch of girls as New Members. We have Big/Little week coming up and we are in need of some new ideas for Big/Little Revealing. At BGSU we have a very strict no-hazing policy and have to be very careful. The last revealing we did we had a Gamma Phi Fashion show. We dressed in crazy outfits and underneath we wore a shirt with the face of our Little on it. It was a great success. We also have done a Guess Who version where the new members had to figure out who their Big was by asking questions...you know just like the game! Well I was just wondering if anyone could please pass on some helpful hints.

In love and IIKE,
Jesicca
***Beta Gamma***
To quote my GPB sister "All I have to do is wear Gamma Phi and I am hot!!!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-15-2005, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
What our chapter has started doing is having a sort of slumber party big sis/lil sis revealing. Each new member gets a present from their big sis- and it turns out to be a pair of pjamas (sp?!). The new members then change into their pj's and join the rest of the chapter. They then find out who their big sis is, because she is wearing the matching pjamas.

As far as I understand, it's not hazing if the other members are dressed in their pjamas too (and they are appropriate, etc).

TEII
Old 12-24-2005, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to swedenmb Send a message via AIM to swedenmb Send a message via Yahoo to swedenmb
When I got my mom - and yes my chapter called them "Moms", I do believe we were hazed a little as we were given whip cream cakes with clues on the bottom to eat (if you wanted to do that, if not you were given an empty plate) and then we went on a scavanger hunt. By the end though of my 4 years, the girls were told to go to different rooms and their moms were there and had a private candlelight ceremony with them.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by swedenmb
When I got my mom - and yes my chapter called them "Moms", I do believe we were hazed a little as we were given whip cream cakes with clues on the bottom to eat (if you wanted to do that, if not you were given an empty plate) and then we went on a scavanger hunt. By the end though of my 4 years, the girls were told to go to different rooms and their moms were there and had a private candlelight ceremony with them.
At Phi Chapter we called them moms too.......
Old 01-01-2006, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say that for Big Sis revealing, most everything all chapters do is fun and includes the whole chapter. I've never heard any complaints, even if there was a string hunt or scavenger hunt involved, which could be defined as 'hazing.' I think as long as you keep it in the house, keep it fun and keep alcohol out of the mix you are all good.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk_gphib_01 View Post
I would say that for Big Sis revealing, most everything all chapters do is fun and includes the whole chapter. I've never heard any complaints, even if there was a string hunt or scavenger hunt involved, which could be defined as 'hazing.' I think as long as you keep it in the house, keep it fun and keep alcohol out of the mix you are all good.
Actually, we've heard that the string hunt is classified as "hazing" so we're still looking for other ideas... post if you have any!!
Old 02-25-2008, 03:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchaptergphib View Post
What our chapter has started doing is having a sort of slumber party big sis/lil sis revealing. Each new member gets a present from their big sis- and it turns out to be a pair of pjamas (sp?!). The new members then change into their pj's and join the rest of the chapter. They then find out who their big sis is, because she is wearing the matching pjamas.

As far as I understand, it's not hazing if the other members are dressed in their pjamas too (and they are appropriate, etc).
Thats how the Syracuse chapter does it!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I love the pajama idea!
Old 03-24-2008, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

1st off --I thought my chapter was the only ones that called them Moms and daughts!!
2nd what we do is i think technically considered hazing but we string yarn throughout a house (we don;t have our own) and then the new member trails the yarn and finds presents and her mom at the end.

another idea (if you have a house) is to tell the new member at the begining of their pledge period that they have a brick (or rock) somewhere on campus with their name on one side and their mom's name on the other side and then at the end of their pledge period invite them all over to the house and have a row of bricks revieling their mom's. then say something about how Gamma Phi isn't something that can be found just anywhere, it was in the house the whole time. oh and throw something in there about gamma phi being founded on that rock (or brick i guess)
Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

This was my favorite part of our pledge period!! I thought it was so pretty!!

We used flowers and it was such a beautiful ceremony! We ordered all different types and colors of flowers...two in each type and color. The big sisters chose first which flower they wanted. They took one of the flower and left the other one on top of a plaque for their little. The plaque had their family poem on it. Once all of the bigs had picked their flowers and left their matching flower for their little...the rest of the sisters took all of the remaining flowers. All sisters also had a lit candle.

We had a table in the front of the room with a big bowl filled with floating unlit candles. (we were big on the floating candles!! LOL!!!) All of the sisters stood around the room holding their lit candles and their flowers. The little sisters would read their family poem and then pick up their flower. They would them walk around and look for their matching flower. When they found it that was their big sister. We had a lot of fun with it...and it was so pretty!! Then the big sister and the little sister walked up to the table. The big sister lit the little sisters candle..and then they both lit one of the floating candles together. It was really very pretty!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm-gpb View Post
This was my favorite part of our pledge period!! I thought it was so pretty!!

We used flowers and it was such a beautiful ceremony! We ordered all different types and colors of flowers...two in each type and color. The big sisters chose first which flower they wanted. They took one of the flower and left the other one on top of a plaque for their little. The plaque had their family poem on it. Once all of the bigs had picked their flowers and left their matching flower for their little...the rest of the sisters took all of the remaining flowers. All sisters also had a lit candle.

We had a table in the front of the room with a big bowl filled with floating unlit candles. (we were big on the floating candles!! LOL!!!) All of the sisters stood around the room holding their lit candles and their flowers. The little sisters would read their family poem and then pick up their flower. They would them walk around and look for their matching flower. When they found it that was their big sister. We had a lot of fun with it...and it was so pretty!! Then the big sister and the little sister walked up to the table. The big sister lit the little sisters candle..and then they both lit one of the floating candles together. It was really very pretty!!!
That sounds so pretty. When I found out who my big sister was, we had yarn strung through our house and throughout the yard. At the end there was a gift. We had to open it to find out who our big sister was. I had such a good time.

I'm such a stick in the mud about some of the terms though. I find it confusing to call your big sister a mom and I'm glad we didn't use it.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

We did a scavenger hunt to find our bigs. (We don't have houses so we used rooms around campus). We first had to put a small puzzle together that had a room on it. Once we were at that room we had a bag with our name on it and inside the bag were pieces of paper with 1 letter on each piece of paper. Once we re-arranged the papers into the right order it spelled out our bigs names on it and we had to run back to the room that our bigs were in and go get our big! It was fun
Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to swedenmb Send a message via AIM to swedenmb Send a message via Yahoo to swedenmb
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphifoxAL View Post
We did a scavenger hunt to find our bigs. (We don't have houses so we used rooms around campus). We first had to put a small puzzle together that had a room on it. Once we were at that room we had a bag with our name on it and inside the bag were pieces of paper with 1 letter on each piece of paper. Once we re-arranged the papers into the right order it spelled out our bigs names on it and we had to run back to the room that our bigs were in and go get our big! It was fun
That sounds like fun I think
Old 01-13-2009, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Big/Lil reveal

For our Big/Lil reveal, all of the new members sat on the ground, while the sisters stood in a circle. One at a time, the new member stands up and the President lights a candle and passes the candle around the circle from sister to sister, all while singing. The candle goes around the circle once and then the second time around the Big blows out the candle. It's reallyyyy nice, I loved it
Old 02-20-2010, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

We have our big/little reveal on Founder's Day and our Bigs wear socks but keep them covered during the dinner, then the Littles put on the socks and guess who their Big is!