GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,157
1 members and 1,156 guests
Low D Flat

Old 09-30-2019, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
I'm so happy she found her place, but this grates on my nerves: "having seen the photos people post on her social media pages, there is NOTHING wrong with these girls! "

Pictures do NOT tell you if there is something wrong.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
I'm so happy she found her place, but this grates on my nerves: "having seen the photos people post on her social media pages, there is NOTHING wrong with these girls! "

Yup.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

As an Alpha Phi, this is very true lol.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
As an Alpha Phi, this is very true lol.
I was actually thinking the bullying DG from a couple of years ago, but yeah ... that's the point.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Well, my daughter is telling me there is nothing wrong with these girls. And she is pickier than I am, which is how she got into this situation! Tbh, she had said this group was nice, even her first time rushing. But as far as the pictures, unless they're making a hundred girls with bad teeth and unibrows hide in the closet and not post on any social media, they look reasonably well-taken care of and fashionable.

I will say the size of the chapters is kind of a factor. The worst sorority at my college, back in the 80s, had fewer than a dozen members. I think there is value to joining in order to have a group to hang around with. I can't see paying dues to join a group that's about to go under.

Last edited by Sphinxie; 09-30-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2019, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was actually thinking the bullying DG from a couple of years ago, but yeah ... that's the point.
I guess there's a joke I'm not getting?
Old 10-02-2019, 02:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinxie View Post
Having been through this with my daughter, I would say yes, if it's the type of school where it's important to be Greek. My daughter rushed freshman year at a very large state school with 12 chapters. She's attractive, petite, had good high school grades, and was involved in activities. However, hardly anyone from her high school went to that college, so she knew maybe 2-3 sorority members, none well. Nonetheless, she went to the full schedule of parties, including one group considered "top tier," for the first two invitational days.

The day of pref, she got cut by all but two sororities, which, because they're the only unhoused chapters on that campus, are considered lower tier. She says now that, had she not been invited back by the top tier house the day BEFORE pref, she might have had her hopes in a realistic place and stayed for pref. As it was, however, she was simply devastated and quit. I feel like she was also excessively concerned about what her high school friends might think because of Facebook, Instagram, and Greek rank.

She tried to get involved in other activities. She made one friend in -- surprise, surprise -- the better of the two groups she'd rejected. She made a few other friends in another lower tier sorority that cut her at pref. However, it was always a struggle to find someone to go out with. She became increasingly sad and dissatisfied with school.

Junior year, she decided to suck it up and rush again. Due to being a junior, and also, mediocre grades (brought on, in part, by her depression), she ended up being cut by all but one sorority from the first invitational night. The one sorority was the one she'd rejected in the first place, where she'd had a friend. Every day of rush, I hoped and prayed they'd keep inviting her back. The day of pref, when she didn't get "the call," I knew she was safe.

She's been in that rejected sorority for a month now. She's completely happy, and her grades are As and Bs. She's going bowling, to football games, or out with her big sis. Also, can I say that, having seen the photos people post on her social media pages, there is NOTHING wrong with these girls! I went to a smaller, private college with a smaller Greek system (though still in the South), and most of these girls would have gotten into good sororities, based upon their appearance. I don't know what the girls in the top tier sororities must look like!

Also, at her school, all the sororities are roughly the same size. At my university, the "good" sororities were close to total while the lesser ones had fewer members (and because they were overall smaller chapters, fewer members meant 35 girls when total was 55). At this school, sororities have 150+ members. How can you not find anyone you like in 150 members?

I know it's easy to say not to worry about what people think, but if my daughter hadn't worried so much about what mostly anonymous strangers online said about this sorority, she could have been happy for the past two years. I feel like it's better to join a lower-tier sorority than none at all. You can always quit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinxie View Post
Well, my daughter is telling me there is nothing wrong with these girls. And she is pickier than I am, which is how she got into this situation! Tbh, she had said this group was nice, even her first time rushing. But as far as the pictures, unless they're making a hundred girls with bad teeth and unibrows hide in the closet and not post on any social media, they look reasonably well-taken care of and fashionable.

I will say the size of the chapters is kind of a factor. The worst sorority at my college, back in the 80s, had fewer than a dozen members. I think there is value to joining in order to have a group to hang around with. I can't see paying dues to join a group that's about to go under.
QFP
Old 10-02-2019, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

For someone who claims she hasn't been involved with her sorority since the 80s, she seems rather obsessed with tiers, especially since it looks like her own sorority chapter folded sometime around her active years.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
For someone who claims she hasn't been involved with her sorority since the 80s, she seems rather obsessed with tiers, especially since it looks like her own sorority chapter folded sometime around her active years.
What a rude thing to say. If you can still delete, you ought to.

Old 09-12-2020, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Bumping for discussion.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

AnchorAlumna, since you QFP Sororitysock's post, from what I understand, it cannot be totally deleted until you delete the quote on your post. Even if Sororitysock deleted the original post, your quote would not automatically go away.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
AnchorAlumna, since you QFP Sororitysock's post, from what I understand, it cannot be totally deleted until you delete the quote on your post. Even if Sororitysock deleted the original post, your quote would not automatically go away.
But is it clear that SororitySock had no desire to delete her post at the time she made the comment. Now it is too late.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Ahh, thanks, thetalady.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

If I may quote BraveMaroon from a different thread, because I believe it can pertain to the tier you eventually decide to join:

"...ALL the cookies are delicious and wonderful and valuable. There's room in the cookie jar for all of us!"