GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,179
0 members and 2,179 guests
No Members online

Old 02-01-2009, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Strategies for Change or Time to Shut Down?

Recently I became president of my chapter when the former president resigned. Since that happened, my life has been the equivalent of herding cats. No matter what me or the other officers do, we can’t seem to see any progress or improvement.

We have some major setbacks that seem to plague our chapter year after year. We’re the only fraternity on campus (out of twelve) that does not have a house. We had one for years but lost it around 2001 because of fire code violations. We have absolutely no alumni support, or at least none since I’ve been around…reason being our alumni community itself (though pretty large) is fragmented or just apathetic.

Our pledge classes continue to dwindle year after year. We’re extremely lucky now if we get three or four a semester, whereas other smaller fraternities on campus consistently get 8 to 12 per semester, and the larger ones up to 20 or 30.

Our membership itself has issues, too. We constantly have members quitting and numerous officer changes. The ones who stay after being initiated quickly get burned out and apathetic. Everyone took an anonymous survey last semester, and there were a lot of comments like “I’m tired of constantly working to improve our chapter while 80% of the other members just sit around.” and “It’s not worth even trying anymore, because we continue to go down no matter what we do.” It’s no exaggeration to say there’s absolutely no feeling of brotherhood, because half of our membership is apathetic and the other half is angry and frustrated at each other.

Part of it may stem from image problems. We haven’t had a very big presence on campus in several years. Though we have a requirement for all members to be involved in two other campus organizations, no one ever follows this, because there are no consequences. We can’t really fine, because people quit when we do (and we can't afford to lost any more members), and we can’t ban people from social functions because we haven't had one in at least three or four semesters. For the few events we do have, it’s a struggle to get everyone there. A significant number of our guys seem to hole themselves up in their apartment(s) and smoke weed every free moment they have from class.

I know this is depressing and the odds aren’t in our favor, but I’m committed to turning our chapter around and making it a success. Does anyone have any advice or experience in major chapter turnarounds? Any success stories? Or is it time to face the writing on the wall and prepare for the closing of my chapter?
Old 02-02-2009, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

It sounds as if half of your chapter wants to work hard at keeping things going. If the other half are completely apathetic, your #1 priority should be showing the guys that do care that they don't need the other half. If you have 20 members, pretend as if you only have 10. Take those 10 motivated individuals and build the chapter back up to what it used to be.

In terms of alumni support... Do alumni not seem to care because you're only complaining that you're having trouble? If this is the case, why not hold an alumni event, invite them to attend, and show your support for them? In turn, they might show some toward you, and all of you can work toward gaining a better relationship.

Recruitment. Sometimes, it's the hardest thing there is when it comes to being Greek. I know, because I come from a chapter that has struggled in this area for years. Visit Phiredup.com. Buy the book "Good Guys" from the site, and live by it. We had people from this company make a 6 hour long presentation at our school one Saturday in early November, and this semester, my chapter might double in size. Get those motivated guys to recruit other people just like themselves.

If you have "brotherhood issues", plan to have a brotherhood night once a week. You could do something as simple as watching Monday night football... or going to dinner... or to a movie. Just something to get a good number of you to hang out and do things together.

If you haven't had a large presence on campus, try teaming up with a sorority. Girls are very sympathetic, and if you truly let them know how you're struggling, and how you'd like to build yourselves back up, there's a good chance that one chapter will take you under their wing. Plan philanthropies and socials together. Send them letters of encouragement and congratulations during recruitment and finals. Be their best friends. There's no better way to propel your reputation among Greeks than by being friendly with the Greeks themselves.

Good Luck!

@~/~~~~
Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd reach out to your National Volunteers for help. Also, do you have an active advisory board? If not, I'd work on filling that. I know that doesn't seem like immediate help, but they can be the foundation to help you restructure your chapter.

As for alumnae relations, do you send out a newsletter and let the alumnae know about your events? Do you give them advanced notice? Just telling them what is going on can help improve relations. If you haven't in a while, you could send them a letter with 3 great things you've done over the last semester (even if there was low attendance) and something you'd like help in and see what happens. I find often alumni will help if they are asked directly for their assistance.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:58 PM

Cut the dead weight. If people don't show up to meetings or other functions, get rid of them. Start now. Better to have 15 guys (or 10 or 5) who put their heart into it than 40, only half of whom give a rat's rump and make you look bad around campus.

Start enforcing the campus orgs requirement - if people don't like it, terminate them.

Ask some of the other smaller fraternities on campus if they would be up for a double mixer with you and 2 smaller sororities. People get frustrated when they join a social fraternity and there are no social events.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I totally agree with 33girl, don't be afraid to lose people that aren't pulling their weight. Member attendance can be a big struggle but don't back down on your rules, people break them because they know they can.

Get the motivated people together and start making things happen. Try to have a mixer or a social function, if your brothers see some type of product coming from their membership it should motivate them to get more involved (they won't feel like they're working for nothing). Some type of athletic tailgate is a good alumni event you might want to try too. If funding allows try having a Founder's Day banquet and invite alumni.

As far as recruitment goes, remember to be recruiting constantly and not just during rush week. If you can improve your campus image and fix some of your internal problems I really think that recruitment will pick up too. A good pledge class can change everything.

Good luck to you and your brothers! If you're going to go down, at least do it fighting to stay alive.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Cut the dead weight.
Co-sign.

These also are typically the folks who are responsible for you getting in arrears with your national because they don't pay dues/insurance on time.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-06-2009, 06:18 PM

Oh, and you mentioned your alumni were fragmented. Do you mean geography wise or was there some kind of drama that made people just want nothing to do with the fraternity? If it's the former, technology kind of renders that a moot point. If it's the latter, LET THE GUYS KNOW that the chapter is in danger of closing and you don't want that to happen. You have no idea how much support you will get until you try.