GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,226
1 members and 2,225 guests
Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if the term 'Gammie' evolved as a result of the old Gammie Bug mascot? It'd be interesting to find out if any references to Gammie predated the mascot. (I'm going to have to go look up when the Gammie Bug was introduced, as I don't recall!)

ETA- It was 1947, and apparently it was Gammy with a y instead of ie, although that looks a bit strange to my eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin
I've read before that back in the day (early 20th c.) some alums wanted to call Pi Phi "Pi Beta" and some wanted to call it "Pi Phi." I guess we all know which one stuck!
How interesting! I am a sucker for historical trivia like that.

Last edited by pbear19; 08-28-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-29-2008, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Gammie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycat412 View Post
usd? My BFF had a "gammie" sweatshirt when she was a GPhiB pledge at USD.

I went to San Diego State just a bit down the road. I just went back for my 30th Reunion-- I haven't laughed that hard in so long!-- and yep , the Gammies were alive and kickin' in SD!!

And yes I think the Gammie bug was just on it's way "out" in the mid to late 70s. However, at convention they were chatting about bringing back

GPhiB
Old 08-29-2008, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryGPhiB View Post
I went to San Diego State just a bit down the road. I just went back for my 30th Reunion-- I haven't laughed that hard in so long!-- and yep , the Gammies were alive and kickin' in SD!!

And yes I think the Gammie bug was just on it's way "out" in the mid to late 70s. However, at convention they were chatting about bringing back
My BFF was a pledge in 87, and her gammie sweatshirt was so cute, but the GPhiB's at SC didn't use that, so that's why I thought it was a San Diego thing.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryGPhiB View Post

I think the Gammie/Gammy bug is so cute - one of the very early pledge classes at my chapter had a really nice one made that is still hanging in our chapter room. I love that the body is the pledge pin!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyPenguin View Post
I think the Gammie/Gammy bug is so cute - one of the very early pledge classes at my chapter had a really nice one made that is still hanging in our chapter room. I love that the body is the pledge pin!
Does anyone have a pictures of the Gammie bug for those who have never seen it?

I Google Imaged it and just got a bunch of pictures of toddlers... hmm...
Old 08-29-2008, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

The name game at Bama sometimes cracks me up. I still roll my eyes every time my Bama daughter calls Fiji Phi Gamm. But that's a frat comment, so maybe I should have posted over there and confused them....

And I smile at the whole AChiO vs Alpha Chi thing.

I know, I do need to get a life.
"And the song from beginning to end, I found in the heart of a friend...."
Old 08-29-2008, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe it's time to close this thread.

Closed Thread