GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 982
1 members and 981 guests
No Members online

Old 03-16-2010, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

This would be so different if it was an NPHC fraternity.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I won't reiterate what has already been said but I do think you are painting a picture that is overly broad. I am not a Theta Chi but I am an older alumni of a large national Fraternity. If I were in college today I would strongly consider Theta Chi. Your undergraduate experience is what YOU make it not what the collective makes it. I guarantee you that there are great chapters of Theta Chi all across the nation and that there are numerous Theta Chi members who are proud to wear their letters. You should make the decision to either be proud of your Fraternity and work to make it better both locally and nationally or get out and not waste their time.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I thought the same thing.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skparagon View Post
I think the fraternity I pledged on campus (theta chi) is easily the best fraternity. Great guys, great service work, great parties, high gpa, etc. The problem is that I've found majority of theta chi chapters at other universities are a normally a bunch of "losers". They either have no social life in the greek community and are basically a community service club or just a bunch of nerds.

This really turns me off of being initiated at theta chi. The other fraternities that matter on campus and have a presence nationally (are top fraternities at other schools) are sigma phi epsilon and sigma chi.

It really bothers me and makes me want to de-pledge. But i'm 4 weeks into pledging and really got to know the brothers/pledge brothers. I really like them too, they're all great.

Has anyone else felt the same?
Just de-pledge.

If you're going to waste a perfectly good opportunity to be part of Theta Chi over some "perceptions" about brothers across town/the state/the country, then Theta Chi probably doesn't need you. Fraternities and sororities want leaders, not people who will be so easily swayed by superficial things like "reputations." Sad...
Old 03-16-2010, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
I won't reiterate what has already been said but I do think you are painting a picture that is overly broad. I am not a Theta Chi but I am an older alumni of a large national Fraternity. If I were in college today I would strongly consider Theta Chi. Your undergraduate experience is what YOU make it not what the collective makes it. I guarantee you that there are great chapters of Theta Chi all across the nation and that there are numerous Theta Chi members who are proud to wear their letters. You should make the decision to either be proud of your Fraternity and work to make it better both locally and nationally or get out and not waste their time.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
I was thinking maybe you were concerned because they are a smaller org nationally, but the first line on Sigma Chi's "About" page rules that out:
Theta Chi Fraternity is one of the oldest and largest men's fraternities in North America today.
Are you sure you don't mean Theta Chi?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. I'm at a lose for words. Because they chapters you know off aren't top tier, you don't want to be a Theta Chi? Oh and the chapter at my school is really geekey, with huge amounts of philanthropy. Yet they are the largest fraternity on campus.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

This is so stupid I almost can't handle it. Being worried about prestige of a chapter on your campus is immature, but understandable. I think we forget that most PNMs are 18 year old who are still trying to find their place in the world...while even a college senior may be totally over "prestige", maybe the 18 year old still has a couple years before he/she gets to that state of comfort with themselves (because let's be honest, questions of prestige all go back to a sense of insecurity with yourself, not the org).

But worrying about a national fraternities prestige?? NOBODY CARES. Really. Alpha Phi has chapters that consistently have the highest return rates, and chapters that are struggling with just about every facet of their reputation. Every PHC and IFC chapter does as well (it might be different in other conferences).

People will make assumptions about your chapter/fraternity post college based on what YOU are like. I met a guy who had only been out of college for about 3-4 years...incredibly good looking, great conversation skills, very "good ol' boy" attitude and had a fantastic finance job. He had mentioned that he was an ABC, and I made the assumption that the chapter had to have been a "good ol' boy" chapter. Later I learned that this chapter was starving for members. Let me tell you, it is definitely not hurting this guy AT ALL. He is making six figures already and he has a line of attractive women waiting to date him.

Seriously, I have never met a guy this concerned with a fraternities national prestige, especially if their chapter was strong. Sounds like you might have some bigger internal issues to address.

Last edited by APhiAnna; 03-16-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiAnna View Post
This is so stupid I almost can't handle it. Being worried about prestige of a chapter on your campus is immature, but understandable. I think we forget that most PNMs are 18 year old who are still trying to find their place in the world...while even a college senior may be totally over "prestige", maybe the 18 year old still has a couple years before he/she gets to that state of comfort with themselves (because let's be honest, questions of prestige all go back to a sense of insecurity with yourself, not the org).

But worrying about a national fraternities prestige?? NOBODY CARES. Really. Alpha Phi has chapters that consistently have the highest return rates, and chapters that are struggling with just about every facet of their reputation. Every PHC and IFC chapter does as well (it might be different in other conferences).

People will make assumptions about your chapter/fraternity post college based on what YOU are like. I met a guy who had only been out of college for about 3-4 years...incredibly good looking, great conversation skills, very "good ol' boy" attitude and had a fantastic finance job. He had mentioned that he was an ABC, and I made the assumption that the chapter had to have been a "good ol' boy" chapter. Later I learned that this chapter was starving for members. Let me tell you, it is definitely not hurting this guy AT ALL. He is making six figures already and he has a line of attractive women waiting to date him.

Seriously, I have never met a guy this concerned with a fraternities national prestige, especially if their chapter was strong. Sounds like you might have some bigger internal issues to address.
Ding ding.

I have never once stopped talking to a guy after finding out he was an alumnus of a fraternity chapter that wasn't the most popular back in school.

It just doesn't matter that much.

Unless of course you live in some sort of isolated part of the South where things like this matter for the rest of your life...

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 03-16-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:

The OP seems to be a loser. In fact, I believe that most "cool kids" were once losers and/or are considered losers by at least one other person. The eye of the beholder.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post

The OP seems to be a loser. In fact, I believe that most "cool kids" were once losers and/or are considered losers by at least one other person. The eye of the beholder.
Of course - no one who has never been a loser fixates on it because they don't know the difference.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 PM

Don't worry about not getting laid on Spring Break because you're a Theta Chi. You go on a package tour through your school and end up hanging out with the same old hos you see all the time anyway. So all that matters is your rep at your school.

Seriously, unless these other chapters are at the school across town and they keep crashing your parties, NOBODY gives a shit.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Don't worry about not getting laid on Spring Break because you're a Theta Chi. You go on a package tour through your school and end up hanging out with the same old hos you see all the time anyway. So all that matters is your rep at your school.

Seriously, unless these other chapters are at the school across town and they keep crashing your parties, NOBODY gives a shit.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You read my mind!
Old 03-16-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker View Post
This song seems appropriate here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCf8iejBdp8

"No matter where I go..."

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This song seems appropriate here: