GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,295
1 members and 2,294 guests
John

Old 06-25-2000, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Left out?? I feel ya!!! I knew a girl on my block who had her daughter at 15 and had familial support. I was really happy for her. I was also in awe by how she had the cuage to finish hs and not depend on others. I dont know if I could have been that strong. When I saw your posts I was reminded of her. Again I say kudos to you my sister in Christ.

Love

darling1

ps. guys sorry about the multiple post before.

------------------
Never cast your pearls before swine Matthew 7:6
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2000, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Whew! My work life has finally slowed down enough to respond....

I think it is important that we all remember that people come to this forum with a diversity of experiences, values and opinions and, as a result of that diversity, that differences will occur. Just because I disagree with something does not mean I am attacking YOU personally or because I feel that something is wrong that I think I am GOD or perfect or 'judging' someone. God has given His believers a discerning spirit and has also told us that if we see our brother doing something wrong we are to let him/her know.

That being said, I think it is important to realize that with every action comes consequences--and responsibilities. And sometimes those consequences mean that we can not parttake in everything that we would like to. My moral code says it is not o.k. to be an unwed, teenage mother. As I stated earlier, society (particularly AA society) has for too long said it was o.k. to participate in behavior that should not be o.k. Children are disrespectful to their elders and folks think it's cute, sisters come to church looking that they just came from, or are on their way to the club with the attitude "At least I'm here!" and yes, young folks are having unprotected sex without giving any thought to making a lifelong commitment to their partner, much less how they are going to raise said child.
Those things are wrong and as long as we continue to quote the Bible out of context these issues will still be at epidemic proportions in our communities. Do you realize that hetrosexual Black Women are contracting AIDS at a much faster rate that any other demographic group?

I realize that these are emotional issues and I probably should have addressed Left out? directly instead of bringing c & c's Line sisters in the picture since they did not ask to be involved. For that, I appologize. But we must realize for every positive situation that you gave about a teen mother who is making good now, there are 100 other stories where they did not finish their education, are working menial jobs or on welfare, etc. As educated Black women we must show the ones that are coming after us that there is another way!

Left out? I commend you on the positive changes that you have made in your life. I wish you all the best in the future. The wonderful thing about God is that what satan meant for evil, He meant for good. (Romans 8:28) Bottom line, what I say, or anyone else on this board for that matter, does not really matter (unless someone is a member of the sorority of your choice at your school)--what matters is what the people who will be voting think.

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited June 27, 2000).]
Old 06-27-2000, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

"My moral code says it is not o.k. to be an unwed, teenage mother. As I stated earlier, society (particularly AA society) has for too long said it was o.k. to participate in behavior that should not be o.k."
--I agree with you totally, Eclipse. It does seem as if society, particularly AA society, is very lenient about certain things, especially when it comes to having children out of wedlock. I understand that accidents often happen, and a woman shouldn't be penalized for anything in her past. That includes joining a sorority on the undergraduate level...
I honestly don't think a woman, who's got a huge responsibility like a family, will be able to devote as much time to her sorority as is required in the New Member period, no matter how well she's got it for her and her baby. It seems as if she'd spread herself too thin, and her child and devotion to the sorority would suffer. If someone is able to do it all, I have nothing but the most love and respect.
Old 06-27-2000, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
You could not be further from the truth...The African American community does not by and large support abortion...its not that we condone promiscuity, its that proportionately, we do not abort as often as our counterparts. The question is what do we think is a greater sin...children out of wedlock or abortion.

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaChiGirl:
--I agree with you totally, Eclipse. It does seem as if society, particularly AA society, is very lenient about certain things, especially when it comes to having children out of wedlock. .
Old 06-27-2000, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree with Finer-Woman-10-A-91 that as a culture, there is not the condoning of abortions (as is with other cultures), the same is similar for Latino/a's in that, abortion is usually looked at more unfavorably than having the children out of wedlock. I think the bigger issue, as someone else stated is the REAL sin, which I think left out? attested to. That is pre-marital sex, itself. Many of us are guilty of that sin. THAT is in fact, the real sin in this whole issue. So a person sins and has pre-marital sex then gets preggers, for some, an abortion is not even an option. For many women, however, it is. What many don't realize is that the TRUE sin has already been committed, the sex, out of wedlock, in the first place. Many of us have done this and just been "LUCKY" enough NOT to get pregnant or we have abortions and pretend we've never been there before so we can look down our noses at the other people who did have children and blame the community for "condoning" the births of these children, who are indeed blessings.

I do agree that Eclipse and someone else were basically saying that it would seem like a person with a child may decide to wait if not for the simple fact of not being able to devote the proper amount of time to either, the Sorority or the baby. Also, no one should have to CHOOSE between the two. I do know, from experience, that a tight support system (this includes the baby's dad/husband)can make it possible, to the fullest.
Old 06-27-2000, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I would like to thank everyone for offering thoughts and opinions on the matter (I am Left Out??). I've taken everyone's opinion to heart. I will go through with pledging regardless of anything or anyone. I am aware that there are people out there that want to play God and condemn me for choices I made almost 9 years ago and that's fine. If that is the case with the organization I choose to be a member of, I will (as I have in previous situations as this)keep trying. It's really hard for me to understand how someone can tell a person what would be too much for them to handle. Well, I would definitely pray about joining this sorority before hand and if God says no, then it's no. On the other hand, if He says yes, then it's mine to have.

Anyway, thanks again EVERYONE!
Old 06-27-2000, 11:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey...I've heard of girls who've pledged BGLO's with children (in fact, there were a few in each pledge class)...the catch is, the girls' parents or boyfriends' parents had the babies, so it wasn't as if the girls were dealing with the burdens of motherhood firsthand. In the opinions of BGLO members on this board, would this situation be conducive to the pledge process?

Also, for anyone who knows, does NPC have anything in its bylaws about potential members with children? I've never come across any NPC members with children. Does the woman automatically become an alumnae member if she has a child during her college career?
Old 06-27-2000, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

DELTABRAT:
You said no one should have to 'choose " sorority life vs. a child. I am going to have to respectfully disagree. Today's society (not just AA society)tells us we supposed to have it all--NOW. I am in Human Resources and although it is not a major part of my job responsibilities, I do recruit from time to time. It is amazing to me the number of recent college graduates with average (or below average) grades, no internships or experience to speak of, who expect top $$. And I am *not* talking about people with high profile IS degrees either. Plus, they expect to be involved in the 'good' projects because they 'did a case study in a business class.' Sometimes we have to make choices our selves from conflicting priorities and other times someone else makes the choice for us based on our prior behavior/choice.

Old 06-27-2000, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Wynna,
I am truly sorry that you feel that people have 'comdemed' you or want to play God. Speaking as someone who has come out on what you probably feel as a less that positive, nothing can be further from the truth. As I said in a previous post, I commend you for all of the positive things you are doing now.
Old 06-28-2000, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

You are right Deltabrat. that is what I have been trying to say. The actual immorality is having pre-marital sex and this is something alot of us are guilty of. Some of you have mad some great points. Please stop equateing unwed motherhood too sexual promsicuity, though. Just because one has a child does not mean they have been promiscuous.
Old 06-28-2000, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Eclipse,

I'm sorry, I need to clarify. I was not talking about people on this board. I was saying that I know how some people may feel about this issue and they want to condemn the person even before meeting them and if the members of the sorority I choose are like that, then...

I hope that helps to clarify my last statement. Thanks for your honesty and encouragement!
Old 06-30-2000, 10:30 PM
Dst for me

Its unfortunate Pretty Girl, but any unwed teenage mother is promiscuous. There is no way to disassociate the two. You were not 18 yet, most likely still in high school and got pregnant. Its hard to hear a label such as "promiscuos", but that is what it is. Looking back I am sure you see that you made some not to good choices that really shaped your future. Admit that you may have been one way then, but hopefully you have matured and know have strived to become a good mother who has not let an early pregnancy hold her back. You may have fit the label, but that does not mean you can't move on and up. I think you have a better chance of gaining membership if you admit that you made a few choices that were not good at the time, but you worked hard to make a life instead of falling in the welfare trap and are on the road to a degree. Arguing with the members of your prospective chapters about your right to have a child will get you nowhere, but voted OUT. Letting them know who you have become and where you are going will get you more recognition and perhaps more votes. Just my $19.13
Old 06-30-2000, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I was just about to post that same comment...lol
Quote:
Originally posted by Finer Woman10-A-91:
You could not be further from the truth...The African American community does not by and large support abortion...its not that we condone promiscuity, its that proportionately, we do not abort as often as our counterparts. The question is what do we think is a greater sin...children out of wedlock or abortion.

Old 06-30-2000, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck and i will be praying for you to girl..becaus eregardless of what anyone on this post says I know that as long as God is my support system I can do anything.....and I dare you to tell me different.
Quote:
Originally posted by Wynna:
I would like to thank everyone for offering thoughts and opinions on the matter (I am Left Out??). I've taken everyone's opinion to heart. I will go through with pledging regardless of anything or anyone. I am aware that there are people out there that want to play God and condemn me for choices I made almost 9 years ago and that's fine. If that is the case with the organization I choose to be a member of, I will (as I have in previous situations as this)keep trying. It's really hard for me to understand how someone can tell a person what would be too much for them to handle. Well, I would definitely pray about joining this sorority before hand and if God says no, then it's no. On the other hand, if He says yes, then it's mine to have.

Anyway, thanks again EVERYONE!
Old 06-30-2000, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dst for me:
Its unfortunate Pretty Girl, but any unwed teenage mother is promiscuous.
Promiscuous - not restricted to one class, sort, or person.

I had a child when I was 17. Yes, I did commit a sin, I had sex when I was not married, however, my child was not a sin. He was/is a blessing. Let's keep track of were the real sin is.

I had sex with one person. The second time, I got pregnant. I guess that somehow, that makes me promiscuous.

Much love to all, but I had to post on that one