GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 680
0 members and 680 guests
No Members online

Old 10-09-2011, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Another Sophomore Recruitment Story

Hey there! Another recruitment story for you... Everything will have been written on the same day as that particular round, but I'll hold back until a bit after Bid Day to see if I really want to post.

A bit of background info:

I'm a sophomore, but class standing isn't super critical here. I know of at least three women who were initiated into their respective chapters last year as sophomores. I went through recruitment last year, but bid "no pref" because I knew I couldn't afford it at the time (I'm paying for books, computer, food, and "frivolous" expenses out of pocket). During the year, I stayed busy with our campus theater department and was initiated into Alpha Chi Sigma (professional chemistry fraternity).

Looking back to this time last year, I wasn't ready for the lifelong commitment of sisterhood. I knew next to nothing about Greek life and viewed recruitment as just another process for joining a "club". My preferences were more focused on other people and who I wanted to be like than my own heart and who I actually am. This year, I'm more prepared for the recruitment process and what being a sorority member entails.

I'm a big fan of Broadway musicals, so the chapters will be named after my favorite musicals I've seen live:
The Phantom of the Opera
Rock of Ages
Beauty and the Beast
Wicked

I wasn't so keen on The Phantom of the Opera last year, partially because of tent talk and partially because I *thought* that I didn't fit in at all with the chapter. I'm definitely willing to give them another chance this year because most of the sisters I didn't mesh with graduated, and I found that I have a lot in common with the newer members. I feel bad for listening to the tent talk last year, and I've seen how strong their sisterhood is.

I have a few connections to women in Beauty and the Beast, including a close friend and two roommates. Said close friend joined Beauty as a sophomore last year, and I can't help but think about how cool it would be if she were my Big (I feel like that sounds like the whole "When I'm a sister..." thing, but I really look up to her and love how happy she is to be a Beauty). They seem to be our most philanthropically-involved chapter and I absolutely ADORE their national philanthropy.

I don't have very many close connections to Rock of Ages or Wicked. Rock of Ages does a lot with our local Humane Society (LOVE!!!) in addition to their national philanthropy. This time around I'm not so sure if we're the best fit for each other, but we'll see what happens.

Last edited by AXEling; 10-09-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Today, it's two days before our first recruitment party and I must say that I'm both nervous and excited. Registration was due today and I was a bit nervous when one of this year's Rho Gammas recognized me from last year. Silly me, I should have realized it would happen with the relatively small number of PNM's that come through. It's all good though, I recognized a few other sophomores turning in their registration.

I'm kind of second-guessing myself. Like is this really for me? I got along without a Greek family for the past year, so should I really go through with this? I just need to sort out some of my own thoughts. It doesn't help that my boyfriend is independent (I'm not really sure if I consider him to be a true GDI because he doesn't criticize GLO's, it just wasn't for him). Nonetheless, this is a decision only I can make for myself.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Round 1

It's after the first party of formal recruitment, and some of my jitters have gone away.

We all met in the student union with our Rho Gammas and were divided into our groups. The parties were originally supposed to be outside but it started raining about 3 hours before everything started

The Phantom of the Opera - Teehee, I can tell I'm going to like referring to this group because I'm a bit of a die-hard Phantom fan. The only thing I wasn't so keen on this round was the fact that there were two actives per three PNM's, but it's tricky when you're a small chapter. We had some great conversations about riding horses and there were some board games set up in the room. Some people didn't seem too keen on The Phantom of the Opera, but I really enjoyed myself It'd be super nice to see them get a bigger pledge class than they got last year.

Rock of Ages - I really liked this group last year, but this was probably my least favorite party of this day. I just didn't click with my rushers very well. They had some cute party ideas, but conversations seemed really forced and awkward. It also didn't help that I'm getting over being sick and had to cough a lot...very embarrassing =/ They are a very strong chapter with a strong sisterhood that I'm not sure at this point that I belong in.

Wicked - It was nice to get to know the sisters a bit more, but I can't say I have strong feelings for them just yet. I had some great conversations with one of my rushers about drama club and coffee, and they had some super adorable snacks They seem like a wonderful group of women, but I'd like to meet more members to get a feel for the chapter dynamic.

Beauty and the Beast - My positive opinion of them hasn't changed since last year. I got to talk to the most women of this group, and conversations seemed to flow rather well. They were super informative about how their new member program works and when rushers were switching (I think I've seen it called "bumping"?) a Big and Little were switching out.

We don't officially rank anything until we sign our bid cards after Pref Party, but in my mind right now (definitely subject to change):
Tied for 1st: The Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and the Beast
3) Wicked
4) Rock of Ages

For the first three nights, we attend each party for each sorority. Then we receive our preference invitations and go from there.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Round 2

I feel 2nd party went a lot better than the 1st party. Here's the breakdown:

Rock of Ages - This round was more one-on-one than the last party, which was group-on-group. Conversations flowed fairly well, and I got to talk with three women. I'm still not sure I mesh well with the chapter, but there's still one more party plus Preference.

Wicked - I love that I'm getting to know the women of Wicked more than I had before! They talked about their philanthropy events (some of which I didn't know as much about) and I learned about some of their local efforts. I really clicked with one of my two rushers, and I'm a bit more convinced that I could fit into this chapter.

Beauty and the Beast - I feel I really got a glimpse of what all goes into being a member of our Beauty and the Beast chapter. I learned more about their socials, service events, and sisters-only gatherings. I have to admit their average GPA really draws me to them, plus they have a super-established academic help program. I was rushed by four women, three of whom I know very well. I feel like I'd be comfortable as a sister of Beauty and the Beast, but I'm still rather attracted to...

The Phantom of the Opera - Even though I didn't feel as engaged or talkative during this round (we were both double rushed and working on a craft for a local philanthropy), I still enjoyed my time there. I was rushed by the same woman the whole time, but it was alright.

Personal opinion rankings:
1) Beauty and the Beast
2) The Phantom of the Opera
3) Wicked
4) Rock of Ages

It feels kind of weird because Rock of Ages is the closest thing we have to "top tier" and it seems like everyone wants the bid in their envelope to read "Rock of Ages"....but I'm not sure if I'm feeling it.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Round 3

I feel Third Party went incredibly smoothly, probably because I felt super beautiful in my amazing business casual outfit

The breakdown:

Beauty and the Beast - Man oh man, this chapter has an amazing recruitment planner! Everything has been so well-organized up until now, and tonight didn't disappoint! I'm super glad I clicked with everyone I talked to. I'd definitely be happy to see this group's pref party invitation in my envelope.

Rock of Ages - There were a few dull spots in conversation, but I must commend this group for how smoothly the members switch out of PNM conversations. I still don't know if I fit in entirely well with Rock of Ages, but I wouldn't mind having an invitation to their pref party.

The Phantom of the Opera - Their theme for this round was super clever! We played a lovely Phantom-themed board game, and the questions the group got to answer really helped me get a better glimpse of the members' personalities. I still feel I mesh with them incredibly well.

Wicked - Today would have been my favorite day with Wicked if it weren't for one of my rushers. I felt like she just blew me off when I mentioned my involvement in AXS. Other than her, things went fairly well. I might fit in here, but I might not. We'll see if they invite me to pref or not.

Personal rankings as of now:
1) The Phantom of the Opera
2) Beauty and the Beast
3) Rock of Ages
4) Wicked

I know my personal rankings haven't changed much...

Also, this isn't as short as I originally intended. Bugger.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Preference!

Waiting for Preference made a day with 4 hours of class and 4 hours of chemistry lab seem even longer. I was so excited to have an excuse to put on a nice dress and heels. We could go to a maximum of three parties. I opened my envelope to find invitations from:

2) Beauty and the Beast

Woo! My favorites throughout! I hate to admit, but I was also glad that I didn't have the maximum number of parties so my night could end earlier. It broke my heart to see the faces of the women who only received one invitation. One was incredibly upset because her only invitation was to Phantom, and she "ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT be seen in those letters". Yes, they're quirky. I didn't say anything, but it really saddened me.

Anyway...

The Phantom of the Opera - I was one of the few PNM's who had a single active to herself. I was so excited for her to pref me because she's been my biggest cheerleader in terms of Greek Life. She always made sure I knew when Phantom's COR events were and was thrilled when I told her I'd be going through formal a second time. Their ceremony was so meaningful, the public explanation of their symbols resonated with me like no other, and I couldn't help but smile the whole time. I was slightly annoyed that a few women seemed annoyed to be there, but I tried to ignore them so I could have a great time.

Beauty and the Beast - I got to the door...and there was my super-close friend that went through recruitment as a sophomore last year! It was especially nice because she empathized with my concerns about sophomore recruitment (although while I bid no pref, she didn't receive a bid). Their desserts were delicious (apple crisp, yum), and I could really tell how much their sisterhood meant to them. I got chills during their ceremony. I thought about how much I'd love to be a part of their sisterhood as I bid my friend goodnight.

I sat down and looked at my pref card for a while. I visited two chapters full of beautiful people and I would be completely and utterly thrilled with either. However, I felt that I'd let down my Beauty and the Beastt friend if I ended up joining The Phantom of the Opera (especially after how hard she rushed me...2nd, 3rd, AND pref parties). On the flip side, I might let down my Phantom friend if I pledged Beauty and the Beast. I tried to push those thoughts from my mind as I thought about where I felt most at home. I wrote down:

2) Beauty and the Beast

Bid Day festivities start bright and early tomorrow morning!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day!

So we were supposed to meet at 7:30 am....I promise I set my alarm and everything, but I got a call at 7:40 from the head of recruitment asking if I'd be joining them. Crap! I threw on some jeans and flats (tank top with no bra) and ran to our meeting spot. The Rho Gammas had already done their reveal (I already knew which organizations each belonged to, although I would have loved to see the predictions of the other PNM's...), and everyone had received their bids...except for me. I knew I had one because I didn't get the "visit" (definitely wouldn't have slept through that). Our head of recruitment (a Delta Gamma from another school) handed me my envelope. I opened it to reveal a bid from...
THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA!!!

Also known as....
ALPHA OMICRON PI!!!

I was immediately greeted by my close AOII friend with a giant panda hug ^-^. We didn't reach quota (sadly), but I'm really happy that my fellow new members found their home. The negative things others may say about my chapter sadden me, but I found my home. I can totally be myself here, and the AOII actives were incredibly excited to see me.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, I didn't notice the color correspondence up until now. I just felt dark red was a Phantom-appropriate color. (^_^')
"To bind its members with a tie of true and lasting friendship..."
Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to you and AOPi!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations! I am so glad that you found your home!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

yay! an AOII ending! roses to you, come introduce yourself in our forum
Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations. You went in with a positive attitude and an open mind and it worked out perfectly for you. Since they are the smaller chapter, they must have been having a heart attack when you weren't there!

Hopefully your new, compact pledge class can share your enthusiasm and attract some other young girls who couldn't quite make the leap of faith.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Congratulations. You went in with a positive attitude and an open mind and it worked out perfectly for you. Since they are the smaller chapter, they must have been having a heart attack when you weren't there!

Hopefully your new, compact pledge class can share your enthusiasm and attract some other young girls who couldn't quite make the leap of faith.
We already have two interested in COR (yay!) so we'll see how that goes once everything settles down.
"To bind its members with a tie of true and lasting friendship..."
Old 10-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Congrats! So very glad to welcome you to AOII! Feel free to stop by our forum and say hi
Old 10-09-2011, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

congrats on finding your home! i hope you'll post a picture of your new member class and/or entire chapter on bid day! we love looking at those =) lol