GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,160
1 members and 1,159 guests
Low D Flat

Old 08-12-2011, 06:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AUAZD2001 Send a message via Yahoo to AUAZD2001
A Review of Deferred Recruitment from Auburn University Division of Student Affairs

https://fp.auburn.edu/studentaffairs..._Report_II.pdf

This is a very interedting article I stumbled upon examining the pros and cons of deferred recruitment at Auburn published in January of this year. I read it and found it very interedting. What do you think? Agree with the position? Have other comments to add?
Old 08-12-2011, 06:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Research conducted by Pascarella (1996) indicates that students who affiliate with fraternal organizations during their first year may not be as successful at integrating into academic life.

The “Pledge effect” - Research indicates that it is not relevant when a student joins a fraternity; it is relevant that a student joins a fraternity.

WHAT???????
Old 08-12-2011, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Thank God that they didn't recommend it and stir up anything.... I can't even begin to think of the repercussions. It works at some big schools but not at AU; "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Usually the only time you hear this regarding sorority rush is if a lot of girls or certain girls go unbid.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

first argument:

panhellenic g.p.a.s are consistently higher than the all women gpas.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

If I followed the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy, I wouldn't be where I am today. I don't follow it in my personal life or in my work life.

I think there are other reasons they failed to mention as a "pro" for deferred recruitment:
1. It allows out of state students a better chance to get a bid
2. It keeps girls from pledging and transferring (not AU but for other smaller schools)
3. It weeds out what I refer to as the girls-on-the-bubble. You know the PNM but don't know if you want her as a sister. Hopefully, over the first semester, other girls in the house get to know the PNM in a current situation (i.e. out from under her parent's watchful eye).
4. PNMs that are unfamiliar with chapters, can form their own opinions and determine where they better fit.

I went through recruitment in August and wished I would have waited. I cut some chapters early on that maybe I should have given a second chance. Also, I knew very few girls in the different houses when I rushed that I met during the first semester. Maybe houses that cut me might not have if I knew someone in it. Hard to tell, it was 30 years ago.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
If I followed the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" policy, I wouldn't be where I am today. I don't follow it in my personal life or in my work life.

I think there are other reasons they failed to mention as a "pro" for deferred recruitment:
1. It allows out of state students a better chance to get a bid
2. It keeps girls from pledging and transferring (not AU but for other smaller schools)
3. It weeds out what I refer to as the girls-on-the-bubble. You know the PNM but don't know if you want her as a sister. Hopefully, over the first semester, other girls in the house get to know the PNM in a current situation (i.e. out from under her parent's watchful eye).
4. PNMs that are unfamiliar with chapters, can form their own opinions and determine where they better fit.

I went through recruitment in August and wished I would have waited. I cut some chapters early on that maybe I should have given a second chance. Also, I knew very few girls in the different houses when I rushed that I met during the first semester. Maybe houses that cut me might not have if I knew someone in it. Hard to tell, it was 30 years ago.
Totally playing devil's advocate here, because I think this is one of those things that could go either way...

@the bolded: Don't you think this could be a detriment to both the girls and the houses? If Cutsy Suzie from out of state comes in and doesn't have an opinion of XYZ, DEF, or NOP during August, she might be able to keep an open mind. If she hears 6 months of "tent talk" though, she might discount NOP and DEF because of what she's heard about them. DEF and NOP are wonderful NPC orgs that have great things to offer, but she's "formed her own opinion" about them and has decided that XYZ is the "best fit" for her. Since it's a mutual selection process, XYZ might cut her and she drops because she's decided she's not a right fit for the others.

Again, just playing the other side...

ETA: I wrote "bolded" just to play on your siggy.

Last edited by shirley1929; 08-12-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: see ETA
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

good point shirley.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Apologies for the double post. The only way I see spring formal recruitment "really" working is if there are some informal events (somehow NPC structured - where they have to go to them) so that girls can get to know the actives on a personal level. That way, Cutsy Suzie may have heard tent talk about NOP and DEF, but if she's forced to get to know them better.

Might could work on a smaller campus, and Auburn isn't that...
Old 08-12-2011, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
good point shirley.
Gracias!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Totally playing devil's advocate here, because I think this is one of those things that could go either way...

@the bolded: Don't you think this could be a detriment to both the girls and the houses? If Cutsy Suzie from out of state comes in and doesn't have an opinion of XYZ, DEF, or NOP during August, she might be able to keep an open mind. If she hears 6 months of "tent talk" though, she might discount NOP and DEF because of what she's heard about them. DEF and NOP are wonderful NPC orgs that have great things to offer, but she's "formed her own opinion" about them and has decided that XYZ is the "best fit" for her. Since it's a mutual selection process, XYZ might cut her and she drops because she's decided she's not a right fit for the others.
I have seen a lot of this in the South with deferred recruitments.

Also, hundreds out of state PNMs have always gotten bids. AU has a huge out of state population, especially since it's gotten so hard for Georgians to get into UGa. The last 2 years' bid lists are probably still on GC--check 'em out.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:23 AM
GreekChat Member

And now I'm up to triple post...or is it quadruple?!

One last thought. From my friends that did deferred recruitment on both sides - it's tough on everyone. The PNM's have to be on their "best behavior" for the first 6 months of their college career (a stressful time of transition already) and the actives have to be "on" for every fall semester.

I was an August PNM. I loved it because 1) I could relax and get to know my sisters right away once I got to college, 2) I immediately had a support system, and 3) I didn't feel like I was being judged everytime I walked out of my dorm not looking perfect!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

2nd argument: the report mixes sororities and fraternities. there should be separate reports for panhellenic, ifc, multi-cultural and pan-hellenic councils.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I could see deferred rush being of benefit to small Greek systems that can use the first semester to drum up interest. But I just really can't come up with a scenario where deferred rush is the better choice on any campus with more than a handful of sororities. It's too much pressure on everyone involved! With IU having deferred rush AND bed quota, I'm surprised girls on both sides aren't literally having heart attacks from the stress. I SUPPOSE if you started school at the very end of January so that you could take a full week for work week and a full week for rush, but not infringe on New Year's, then it could work. But why? Just do it in August when the logistics work so much easier.

I applaud schools like Auburn looking at their system to see how they might improve what they've got, but I see no need to change it. Except that with numbers continuing to go up and up, it may be time for expansion again.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
2nd argument: the report mixes sororities and fraternities. there should be separate reports for panhellenic, ifc, multi-cultural and pan-hellenic councils.
^This. An interesting read nonetheless.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
This doesn't really hold any water at a big SEC/ACC or similar university. It's a seller's market and you don't get to say, "Oh, I think I'll fit in well at ABC." It's almost totally up to the sororities and you make the best of what you have to choose from, be it 1 group or all of them.