GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,227
0 members and 2,227 guests
No Members online

Old 04-02-2001, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Hmmm, I'm not sure. That's weird. I didn't put an image on there. My company's e-mail is set up differently than most e-mail addresses, so maybe that's why it looked strange.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-02-2001, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, wait! I know what happened. I just sent you a new e-mail. See if that's better!
Old 04-02-2001, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Thanks! I will check!! Hehe, i'm so addicted to GC...I have an essay (actually, historical fiction about the Japanese Internment in WWII) due at 10:00 AM (Pacific Time) so I better start my writing after I check my mail! Look for an email upcoming! Thanks again Carrie!

Carolyn

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited April 02, 2001).]
Old 04-03-2001, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine:
Lo and behold, the AGD chapter meeting had just adjourned, and 6 AGD sisters immediately came to my aid and wanted to know if there was anything they could do to help. I was at my lowest of lows, I felt like crap because these local sorority girls disrespected me. But the AGDs took me under their wing and made sure that I made it back to my dorm okay.
Those are real friends, they were there even after you rejected them. That's awesome!

------------------
*selah*
Old 04-03-2001, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

when i went through fall rush i was dead set on a certain sorority and really didnt give the others much thought. But as i began my house visits, I began to find out what an awesome bunch of girls the Alpha Phi's were. I felt so comfortable there! That fall it seemed like everyone wanted them and I was sure the numbers werent going to work out and I wouldnt get them. I cried during thier skit night...it was so touching and felt so right! When i went to pref night I knew thats where I had to be...and thats where I am

Rochelle, Alpha Phi

"Greener grows our ivy with you"!
Old 04-03-2001, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I posted a response on another thread similar to this issue, but I'll post again I entered George Mason U. in the Fall of 1994 as a transfer and was a rugby player. One of my hallmates invited me out to a PKA event where we met the brothers. It was pretty cool, but new to me because I was all new to greek life and was unsure about it. The next week I went to another PKA event, a pizza party and had a good time. Although the rest of the week I never heard from them. So I was a little dismayed and I didnt look at other Fraternities. Well, I decided after that experience I was going to do some research, check everyone out over the course of the semester, and go for it the next semester. Well, during that fall semester I had this great guy in one of my Government classes and we always ran into each other at this local bar(fat tuesday's) and he always offered me a ride back after last call. I never brought up the fact he was greek. The next semester I came out for Spring Rush. I went to a few KA events and they were pretty cool, but I wanted to check someone else out so I went to one Beta function. When I went to that Beta function I knew it right then and there thats what I wanted. The guys were so friendly, geniune, classy, lots of fun, athletic, sharp and the ladies there had many nice things to say about Beta too. Well, that next week I got a bid from the President and I was so estatic. Then during my pledge period my big brother turned out to be the guy who I mentioned from the previous semester in my government class. I had many great times with my Brothers and made many life long friendships. Looking back on it I would never have wanted to go for any other Fraternity. I will be a Beta till I die

Kevin
Beta Theta Pi Alum
Epsilon Mu Chapter
Sigma Class 1994
George Mason University

[This message has been edited by Miami1839 (edited April 03, 2001).]
Old 05-02-2001, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I chose Kappa Sig because the guys were just really genuine and they seemed like good guys to hang out with. I didn't feel like I was being sold something during rush - I felt like they were just talking to me like I was one of the guys, and that made a big impact. Plus, I'm kinda a quiet shy kid in some ways, and the brothers made an effort to come over and talk to me, which made me feel so much better. I wanted to go with someone I felt comfortable with, and Kappa Sig ended up being that chapter.
Old 05-02-2001, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Smile

My university didn't allow freshman to rush until their second semester. I was never very interested in greek life, so when my roommate and some of our friends decided to rush, "just to see what it was like", I didn't join them (I didn't even consider it!).

When I came back in the fall of my sophomore year I began noticing an awful lot of people in a particular co-ed GLO. Some were friends of mine, many were acquaintances.

I did't talk to these friends and acquaintance much about their GLO, I just observed them. They all had great personalities, were friendly, "real"... people I (and most people) enjoy being around. And this was a professional GLO, which meant it had other benefits aside from brother/sisterhood.

Then I saw it: their Rush banner hanging in our Campus Center (The Student Union, where all campus information was shared on giant banners that hung in front of the mailboxes).

I was trying to decide if I really wanted to join a GLO. I didn't have a very enlightened view of them at the time. That's when a very good friend of mine asked if I was going to their rush party. (Neither of us had mentioned that we were thinking about it for some reason). I decided to go.

During the beginning of that rush party I remember thinking that I couldn't believe I was thinking of joining a GLO. But by the end, I couldn't imagine not becoming a part of Phi Beta Fraternity.

Needless to say, I attended rush functions for the next 2 weeks (yes, our rush was 3 weeks long!!). There were 4 other girls on my hall rushing Phi Beta as well. Well, the last night of rush the GLOs extend their bids to rushees, who have to turn in the one they accept to the Student Activities Office the next day to begin their new member period (pledging).

There were a lot of people rushing Phi Beta that semester, and we were sitting out in the hall with our doors open (because they told everyone to be in their rooms, close to a phone). All of a sudden about 6 or 7 Phi Beta actives came onto our hall, they were our bigs and other new sisters! All five of us had gotten bids!

Later that night, our bigs snuck back on the hall and decorated all of our doors with "Welcome to Phi Beta" signs and violet and gold balloons (our colors). (Decorating doors was a big thing on my school... the halls reminded me Open House in elementary when all of the artwork was up for parents to see!)

People still can't believe that I am in a fraternity. But, like most of you, I just knew that Phi Beta was something I had to be a part of. Even though I primarily rushed because of the professional benefits, I have learned (and continue to learn) that the biggest benefit is the brother/sisterhood. It's something you have to experience to understand.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com

Phi Beta Fraternity

[This message has been edited by SilverTurtle (edited May 02, 2001).]