GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,402
2 members and 1,400 guests
No Members online

Old 05-08-2000, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Painting the Bronx, NY pretty PINK and gorgeous GREEN
Question Should you "pledge" an Auxiliary Group?

I am sort of new to greek buisness... but I was approached by a member of Alpha Angels
and asked if I wanted to join them. I then talked to my sister (AKA) and she totally went off the deep end about these women, and sugguested that I definitely not join because itwould jepardize my admission into any sorority if I did want to pledge in the
future. What is the beef between these ladies... Que pearl, Kappa Diamonds, Sigma
Doves, and the ladies of AKA, DST, ZPhiB and SGRho? Are they actual organizations that
are bound with the fraternities they cling around? Or are they the doormats and free
(Um, Um,) that my sister claims them to be? Should you join a auxillary if you plan to pledge a sorority in the NPHC? Also do you find as greeks any of their pratices disrespectful?

I would love some feedback...

------------------
In complete darkness we are all the same... It is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us... Don't let your eyes deceive you

The Diva Truth
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-08-2000, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

this is the topic that will not die. your sister is correct in that according your yard, it may jeopardize your chances of pledging a sorority. the beef that exists is rooted in a lack of respect by some sweethearts for sorority members. some see themselves as sororities and true sisters to the fraternity. it should be noted that all 9 national organizations have policies which forbid their collegiate chapters from making or affiliating with sweethearts because of the liability that they present to the organization. ultimately, the choice is yours. just be aware that it might make your road to pledging a little rockier.
Old 05-08-2000, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

i think that most greek sororities look upon these groups as a generic portion of the real thing. Speaking for my self, as a delta, i totally disagree with pledging a social group just to get close to that specific fraternity. Not all social groups are about this but most of them are. Do your research on the group and see what there reputation is on campus. you don't want to be apart of any thing that is not positive and trying to help others.
Old 05-09-2000, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

This really isn't a reply, it is more of a question that i have that is related to this subject. Here is my situation and question.

I was approached a while ago about becoming a sweetheart. Not knowing anything about any of this, I started asking the few greek ladies that i had the opportunity of getting to know (ladies that i respected and whose opinion i valued), outside of the ones that are in my family. They told me they didn't see anything wrong with it and that some of them had been sweets; although none were the same one as me. Time went by and these same ladies seemingly cut off all lines of communication with me. I would see them and i guess that i would become invisible, making me feel as if i had done something wrong. I have read the other post about sweethearts on this message board and understand why your organization or any other would look down on the things they did. However, in our defense, the group of girls that i was with, never even came that close to being sorrity-like. We didn't have a show or anything like that. The only way that anyone knew about us was if they saw us with them - even that wasn't a common thing. Our Big Brothers really did treat us like their little sisters. There was no disrespect going on anywhere. We supported the events that they had and they support the events that our various non-related organizations had.

I guess that i am asking if anyone can clarify what it is that would be seen as wrong with that?

I do want to become a member of this organization one day, and would like to make sure that i haven't made life too hard for myself because of this.

Thank you
Old 05-10-2000, 09:27 AM
c&c1913

Mancala,

Your organization could do all of the community service in the world, but if you have just one member doing the opposite, your entire org. is labeled. I am not totally against lis. orgs. because 3 of my L.S.' were members. But on my old campus, the little sister groups did not do any community service. All you saw them do was wear their 'nalia, do calls, and strut at parties among other things. Again, it just depends on your campus and the attitude they have towards these groups. Just a little FYI, the Alphas at my school are not allowed to have angels or sweethearts. This is comes straight from their advisor's mouth and he is a charter chapter member. So, if an Alpha advisor won't let them support or have alpha angels, what does that say about AA's legitimacy.
Old 05-10-2000, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

a read a similar thread in the AKA forum. i would check that out. one of their members posted a response of an Alpha Angel that i think really accurately represents what is wrong with the auxillary system. in accord with c&c1913, i would question something that the advisor opposes. in fact it is a NPHC rule against any member org sponsoring sweethearts. i know Delta has a strict policy against this. so, if national orgs. have a problem i would really wonder if i am acting in concert with the dictates of the org. and more to the point, on these various message boards, i see very few actual fraternity member endorcing or supporting these women that have sacrificed so much to be affiliated with them. i have said this before it seems a lot to go through to be diss by other bruhs, sorors and the general public. it is hard to see the benefits.
Old 05-10-2000, 10:52 PM

Thumbs down

I am NOT of an greek org. But, I DO have an opinion. One of the Frats.' "girls" groups (what org. that is will remain unamed), has become a REAL organization at my school. They have their won Constitution and everything. They are able to request money from the university for their functions. (Not as much as the REAL orgs., but they are able to get it). I think this may be because I go to a prodomitally white school . I am totally against this because the Delta Sigma Theta, Inc., AKA's, ZPhiB, and SGRho have a real history for their names and letters . Somebody.......give a words or two on this matter. Sorry if anything is misspelled !!!

[This message has been edited by gypsy (edited May 10, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by gypsy (edited May 10, 2000).]
Old 05-11-2000, 11:02 AM
c&c1913

Gypsy,

I can relate to your post. At my old school the KKI's wanted to be become an university recognized organization. But first, they had to drop the name kappa kourts and they changed it krimson kourts, to say that they are separate from KAPsi . I know they submitted a constitution, but i'm not sure if the university accepted it. (maybe Ms CrimsonCream can help jog my memory! ) I know they did a car wash, but as for performing public service, no. Because even after going to all that, they still would carry canes, throw up the kappa sign, strut with the kappas, and wear 'nalia that said nupes' lil' sis, etc. So everyone wondered why bother to say you are a separate organization from the kappas, but you continue to do the same things that little sister groups do. Don't get me wrong, i am not hating on any organization, they do their thing and we do ours. Just my $.13 worth!
Old 05-11-2000, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

the national orgs have a great deal to do with the official separation from a liability standpoint. but, in my estimation, it is just a smoke screen because they still act like sweethearts not an autonomous org. they have justy found a loop hole to still exist.
Old 05-12-2000, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I read with much interest the replies to this topic. I think these groups are detrimental in general, both to the persons involved and to the organizations that they purport to support!! . If they are females supporting a frat, they can be easily misconstrued. All-in-all, if you are interested in a specific GLO, there are better ways to make yourself known to them.
Old 05-19-2000, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DirectorDST99 Send a message via Yahoo to DirectorDST99
We can't stop these auxillary organizations from "doing their thing," but we do disassociate ourselves by stating that we do not condone little brother or little sister organizations.

My opinion, and this is my observation at HBCUs, those who get involved in these auxillary oganizations want to "belong." Because of impatience and anxiety they jump into something superficial perhaps because no one told them the consequences they might face instead of sitting back and waiting on their time...the right time.

"Be anxious for nothing but in everything with through prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God and the peace of God which surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Phil 4:6-7
Old 05-20-2000, 02:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Have any of you come across men that CLAIM to be our aux.? I have met beauxs and dudes. I just can't give them no love!!!

1) I waited too long and worked too hard to feel love for some brotha throwing up my sign and wearing my symbols.

2) I have been fortunate enough to meet and spend time with past National officers and older sorors who tell stories about the founders and their vision. No where in that vision is there an auxiliary!!!!

Y'all know how the song goes..."if it was good enough for the founders then it's good enough for me."

------------------
B safe,
KMC
Old 05-22-2000, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

At the school I attended, the Kappa Sweets tried the same thing that C&C spoke of, but to no avail. I was approached several times to be an Alpha Angel but declined. My philosophy that if I'm going to work so hard for something, and be so proud to represent an organization, I'm going to have ALL THREE of my letters, not just one. I made the mistake of saying this loudly on the yard one day, and a Kappa sweet proclaimed that "...that's good that you feel that way, because you will NEVER be a Kappa Sweet and you will NEVER wear crimson and cream!" Man, I would love to take a picture of her face if she ever saw me in some 'nalia now!

------------------
Deltaluv
Old 05-22-2000, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

From reading through these posts and others on this site, I get the feeling that sweethearts and little sisters are viewed in a more positive light in predominantly caucasian GLOs than they are in predominantly BGLOs....I could be wrong though.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 05-25-2000, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

not really soror. when i was a freshman there were some kappa and alpha sweethearts, by my senior year their were none. both chapters did away with them because they kept up too much mess in the chapter, with their own girlfriends and the sororities on campus. they did not have a positive image at all.