GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5

Old 08-16-2010, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the reasons why the spring preview weekend is so very important!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-16-2010, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideMom View Post
My daughter just went through Bama rush and fell through - she went to 2 pref parties and received no bid. While she was disappointed greatly, today she has already moved on. She mentioned on the phone that she actually CAN meet people without a sorority and she has lunch & dinner company for the next few days to prove it. That was her big fear - not being able to meet people and find friends.

I'm sure once school starts Wednesday, she'll meet even more people in classes & organizations. Should she choose to rush again next year, she'll be a bit more wise : )
Total bummer that she had 2 prefs and no bids, but I think it's fantastic that she seems to be dealing well. Good for her.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought if you made it to pref and maximized your options you got a bid? Does that not happen at Bama?
Old 08-16-2010, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think they guarantee you a bid.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Nanners52674 - I believe that is the case. Unfortunately, she wasn't instructed about filling out her bid card with BOTH sororities and chose to put down only one. The way it has been explained to me is that since she didn't "maximize her options" and put down both sororities, she was no longer guaranteed a bid. The girls who put all the sororities from prefs on their bid cards were guaranteed - and the way that is accomplished is to put people like my daughter at the bottom of the list. So the house either hit quota or she just didn't get a bid. Sad set of circumstances : (

But there is a reason for everything. We just don't know what it is yet. Life is still good - she's at ALABAMA!!! Roll Tide!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:17 PM

It's important to note that even if your school is something like 20% Greek, that means that 70% of the students are NOT.

The majority of those individuals are not going to care that you didn't get a bid during recriutment (heck, most of them won't know what you're talking about).

All of this to say, you don't get a "do over" of college so you have to get out there, meet people and enjoy it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless they have just changed it this year, Alabama does not guarantee a bid even if you maximize options. However, with the increase in chapter total and the use of quota additions, I believe most girls who maximized their options this year were placed. I think no extra effort (i.e quota additions) were made for those who did not maximize their options.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA2 View Post
Unless they have just changed it this year, Alabama does not guarantee a bid even if you maximize options. However, with the increase in chapter total and the use of quota additions, I believe most girls who maximized their options this year were placed. I think no extra effort (i.e quota additions) were made for those who did not maximize their options.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong:

Those who do not maximize are NOT eligible to be QAs. No lack of effort on Bama's part. It's just rules.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Those who do not maximize are NOT eligible to be QAs. No lack of effort on Bama's part. It's just rules.
It is so unfortunate that my daughter did not understand that she was supposed to put both sororities she went to on pref day on her bid card.

Does that mean that she will not be eligible for COB?

Also, since she didn't maximize her options, is she just out of luck until next fall's rush?
Old 08-16-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
It is so unfortunate that my daughter did not understand that she was supposed to put both sororities she went to on pref day on her bid card.

Does that mean that she will not be eligible for COB?

Also, since she didn't maximize her options, is she just out of luck until next fall's rush?
You said she did not receive a bid at all.

Since she did not receive a bid, she IS eligible for COB.

You're only ineligible for COB if you get a bid and decline it. Or you accept a bid and depledge.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-16-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

That is welcomed news! She went to the Panhellenic office twice today but no one was there either time.

She'll keep going back until she gets someone to ask about signing up for COB at Bama. I'll let everyone know how it goes : )
Old 08-16-2010, 06:41 PM

Keep in mind that formal recruitment really JUST ended.

They probably aren't going to know anything about COB (or if there will even BE any at all) until closer to spring.

The chapters took some pretty big classes so it would not surprise me if everyone was a total (or very close to it).

She'll just have to wait and see.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-16-2010 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Nanners52674 - I believe that is the case. Unfortunately, she wasn't instructed about filling out her bid card with BOTH sororities and chose to put down only one. The way it has been explained to me is that since she didn't "maximize her options" and put down both sororities, she was no longer guaranteed a bid. The girls who put all the sororities from prefs on their bid cards were guaranteed - and the way that is accomplished is to put people like my daughter at the bottom of the list. So the house either hit quota or she just didn't get a bid. Sad set of circumstances : (

But there is a reason for everything. We just don't know what it is yet. Life is still good - she's at ALABAMA!!! Roll Tide!
That's a shame that their Pi/Rho Chi/whatevers didn't explain that well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

You're correct. This keeps PNMs from only listing their top choice, no matter how unlikely and all all getting QA'd to the top top tier chapter or what have you.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
That's a shame that their Pi/Rho Chi/whatevers didn't explain that well.
I agree that would be very unfortunate. The MRABA was changed slightly this spring and sent out to all college Panhellenics in June with clarifying language.

The MRABA now clearly states that you can list one OR any of the chapters whose preference round you attended and which you are willing to accept membership. (This change was in an effort to clarify language and to eliminate the excuse by women those who claimed their recruitment counselor "forced" them to list all chapters on their MRABA but were disappointed when their received their second or third choice...and were still bound to the calendar rule for for joining another group after declining a bid.)

AND the very next sentence states that "I realize that by not listing the maximum number of events I attended, I may be limiting my potential to join any other NPC group during formal recruitment should I not be placed with my choice(s)."

I really thing these changes are excellent and should really eliminate most if not all of the confusion. All CPHs also received a reminder message about the new MRABA so hopefully most CPHs will be on board and everyone will benefit!

TideMom - I truly hope your daughter finds ways to get involved and have a great Freshman year. It sounds like she has already gotten started and that is great!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

i'm sorry that rush didn't work out for you this year. i'm sure that you gave this a lot of thought. please be sure to check out the upcoming organization fair and get involved on campus in some clubs, committees or organizations.