GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,319
3 members and 1,316 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LadyDread2010
Question Does obtaining a Ph.D in your field matter?

I've often thought about whether or not get my Ph.d in Information Systems later on ,or just stop and get my Master's. I have a friend who is a Ph.D candidate,and she tells me that it's quite difficult,but worth it. Naturally,if you have a Ph.d...the assumption is that you're a college professor,but it all depends on what your field is. Since my field is technology,I can do pretty much what I want.

What do you think? Does obtaining a Doctoral degree really matter?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
It depends on what you want to do with it. You have to be honest with yourself.

I am a chemist, and straight out of undergrad I entered a PhD program, intent on getting my PhD in chemistry and eventually becoming a professor. Hated it, wasn't ready, left with a MS and got a job.

At my first professional conference, I spoke to a PhD chemist who had 30+ years in the industry, and I explained to him my dilemma about finishing the PhD or staying industry.

His advice was "Figure out what you really want your career to be about. If you want to be a technical expert and stay on the technical track, get the PhD. If you want to move up in management, get an MBA instead."

Talk to some folks in your field, I'm sure they can give you good perspective.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you regret not getting your PhD? Since I'm in the technology field,my specialty will be in information security and networks. I want my research to be used for business and government purposes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilance1922 View Post
It depends on what you want to do with it. You have to be honest with yourself.

I am a chemist, and straight out of undergrad I entered a PhD program, intent on getting my PhD in chemistry and eventually becoming a professor. Hated it, wasn't ready, left with a MS and got a job.

At my first professional conference, I spoke to a PhD chemist who had 30+ years in the industry, and I explained to him my dilemma about finishing the PhD or staying industry.

His advice was "Figure out what you really want your career to be about. If you want to be a technical expert and stay on the technical track, get the PhD. If you want to move up in management, get an MBA instead."

Talk to some folks in your field, I'm sure they can give you good perspective.

Last edited by LadyDread2010; 01-27-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDread2010 View Post
Do you regret not getting your PhD? Since I'm in the technology field,my speciality will be in information security and networks. I want my research to be used for business and government purposes.
Sounds like you need a PhD to me. If you want to do research and have your findings be used to determine public policy, you need those important letters behind your name. If you wanted to just go out and get any old job in your field, the PhD would probably be overkill. Of course, the advanced degree in my field (MD) is absolutely necessary!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-27-2009, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I also believe that the path to a PhD requires a lot of strength,discipline and money. If I'm lucky,I can get my future employers to pay for it. I also have another question...should you obtain your grad degrees online or in person? Because I know that my schedule will be quite hectic...I'll get my degrees online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Sounds like you need a PhD to me. If you want to do research and have your findings be used to determine public policy, you need those important letters behind your name. If you wanted to just go out and get any old job in your field, the PhD would probably be overkill. Of course, the advanced degree in my field (MD) is absolutely necessary!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:00 PM

In my particular field (counseling), it doesn't really, unless you want to get into teaching at a college/university.

If you're looking to make the jump into Clinical Psych or something, it's necessary.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

So,in your field,it would depend on your area of interest. But you could still get it anyway,and not be a professor,right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
In my particular field (counseling), it doesn't really, unless you want to get into teaching at a college/university.

If you're looking to make the jump into Clinical Psych or something, it's necessary.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
So,in your field,it would depend on your area of interest. But you could still get it anyway,and not be a professor,right?
Pretty much.

You could get it, but it would be pointless if you're not interested in academia in some way.

The only people I know in the counseling field with Ph.D. are those with teaching interests, or those who are looking to get into Psych (where you need one to do ANYTHING).

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I also believe that the path to a PhD requires a lot of strength,discipline and money. If I'm lucky,I can get my future employers to pay for it. I also have another question...should you obtain your grad degrees online or in person? Because I know that my schedule will be quite hectic...I'll get my degrees online.
I would imagine that it wouldn't be worth the money to do it online - if you're going to do it, do it in person.

A PhD is a LOT of work - you're going to have to either make the time to get the PhD, or pursue other avenues.

I'm not trying to be rude, but in most cases, the online degree is a shortcut that won't prepare you sufficiently.

ETA: As far as whether it's worth it, you have to look at your field, your career goals, and make the decision. You may want to talk to some of your college professors to get some perspective.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I have my PhD in molecular genetics. And I was attempting to go for the professor track, but due to several personal setbacks, I left my field altogether and am doing something wholly different.

A Ph.D. in any field teaches you some basics, what the current literature is of your interest, understanding it, defending your thoughts, and writing about it for publications. Afterward, you have to write grants, etc. to stay in the field. You have to interact with your field's experts, etc by making presentations, etc.

IMHO, you don't need a Ph.D. if you want to get paid and have the oooolala job.

But those letters behind your name make you the expert in the field of which you speak, without having really to publish in that area. Especially if you KNOW it.

The only difference is, you can NOT a physician, and laypeople often are confused.

Think about it this way, in the United Kingdom, they view the Philosophy of Doctorate higher than they do physician... Probably, long ago, a physician was also the undertaker and graver...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

If higher ed is your career goal, then do not get an online degree. We routinely eliminate people from candidate pools who have an online degree.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Why does it matter if they have an online degree? Is it accreditation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
If higher ed is your career goal, then do not get an online degree. We routinely eliminate people from candidate pools who have an online degree.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Why does it matter if they have an online degree? Is it accreditation?
Among other things.

Don't get me started on online MBAs...
Old 01-28-2009, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Don't get me started on online MBAs...
Do you mean the "University of Phoenix" type, or the "University of Texas Online MBA" type? Or are both lacking?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Do you mean the "University of Phoenix" type, or the "University of Texas Online MBA" type? Or are both lacking?
I can think of a couple of legitimate online advanced degree programs...UConn Law does an LLM in insurance program that's done online, and I think a couple of other law schools have online LLM programs. (For those who don't know, and LLM is a Master in Laws, usually held by someone who specializes in a field like insurance law or tax). Of course, those people already have jobs, and they're looking for more experience in their specialty.

I don't know enough about the U of Texas online MBA, but I think it's more likely than not that you'll find online programs to be duds. That could be for a variety of reasons - some aren't accredited and have lackluster faculty, some aren't well organized, whatever. Some, you essentially just have to show up and pay the fee and you get the degree.