GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,956
0 members and 1,956 guests
No Members online

Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

If I were to build a kappa house....

A thread where you say what you would want in a Kappa Kappa Gamma house if it were up to you---

Here's mine!!
http://www.hiddenpassageway.com/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-01-2008, 01:55 AM
GreekChat Member

I have so many ideas of simple dorky things because we don't have a house! I can't even think of where to start!
Oh, how about a sweet fireplace with VERY realistic looking fire + warmth? You know, since fires aren't allowed in chapter houses? Ok, that was kind of lame...I'll try to come up with a better one.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting things I have seen in various Kappa houses.

Our Delta Xi chapter house at Carnegie Mellon has a stunning stained-glass window in the foyer. It is the height of the front door. Of course the design is of blue irises. It was created by a CMU Kappa who was an art major.

The Gamma Chi chapter house at GW has a floor with an inlaid marble fleur-de-lis in the center of the room.

The William and Mary Kappas have a beautiful iris garden next to their house. sidebar: Did y'all know Moderator Carnation actually hybridized and registered an iris called Kappa Kappa Gamma for our HQ in Columbus? I think that is a great show of Monmouth Duo Loyalty!

The Zeta Tau chapter at Washington and Lee had a beautiful chinese rug with fleur-de-lis incorporated throughout the design. In fact, ALL of the Panhel chapters at that school had rugs that incorporated a symbol of their org in the design.
Old 08-02-2008, 03:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
The William and Mary Kappas have a beautiful iris garden next to their house. sidebar: Did y'all know Moderator Carnation actually hybridized and registered an iris called Kappa Kappa Gamma for our HQ in Columbus? I think that is a great show of Monmouth Duo Loyalty!
There's a picture of Carnation's iris posted in this thread: http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...t=96064&page=2

And ooooh iris garden! My dad has hundreds of different kinds of irises. Oh oh and an adviser for my chapter (whom I adore) was a Kappa at William & Mary!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the idea of inlaid irises or fleur de lis in stained glass, etc. These types of touches make a house so unique and special to the girls who live there.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
I have so many ideas of simple dorky things because we don't have a house! I can't even think of where to start!
Oh, how about a sweet fireplace with VERY realistic looking fire + warmth? You know, since fires aren't allowed in chapter houses? Ok, that was kind of lame...I'll try to come up with a better one.

Our house has a fireplace and we would love to be able to have fires in it, but sadly.....

This thread is interesting because our house is in the middle of being redecorated/renovated and we've sat around many times talking about what we would like to do. I don't think the stained glass is quite in our budget, but it sounds beautiful!!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Our house had two (nonworking) fireplaces, as did the chapter I advise. They're both older homes, so that's the main reason we had them.

It's not fun or pretty, but it would be so convenient to have a place that's "ritual-ready" YK?
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappamd-

Don't give up without a fight!

The stained glass windows in our chapter room were the result of a "project" specific fundraiser. Sending out a mailer/letter/appeal with the specific project and cost with breakdowns for different levels of giving is what did the trick for us. A certain amount donated earned the donor her name on a small engraved plate at the bottom of each window. Pledge classes donated, individuals, etc. It really turned out nice!

Also, remember that a piece of stained glass can be hung on top of (behind?) an existing window which makes it much more affordable than actually installing a stained glass window.

Sorry to hijack the thread - just wanted to comment!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Kappamd-

Don't give up without a fight!

The stained glass windows in our chapter room were the result of a "project" specific fundraiser. Sending out a mailer/letter/appeal with the specific project and cost with breakdowns for different levels of giving is what did the trick for us. A certain amount donated earned the donor her name on a small engraved plate at the bottom of each window. Pledge classes donated, individuals, etc. It really turned out nice!

Also, remember that a piece of stained glass can be hung on top of (behind?) an existing window which makes it much more affordable than actually installing a stained glass window.

Sorry to hijack the thread - just wanted to comment!
Oh, we haven't! We're in the process of raising about $44,000 just for needed repairs (new AC and heating, new roof, etc.) through a letterwriting campaign to the alumni of our chapter, and I think we're about halfway there. We were incredibly fortunate to recieve funding from other sources for new furniture, flooring, window treatments (fleur de lis!), and paint. From the pics posted on our renovation blog, our little lodge is looking beautiful now!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I just have to say I am so jealous of all the Kappas with houses! As an undergraduate we did not have houses at my school and the chapter I advise is also unhoused. I suppose I can only dream awhile of stained glass, iris gardens, fleur-de lis rugs and more!