GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,492
2 members and 2,490 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-11-2006, 02:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Need some Advice

THANKS SOO MUCH!!

Last edited by Collegegirl822; 04-18-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-11-2006, 03:20 AM

Since you depledged another chapter, you could possibly be cut heavy depending on your school. Some schools just aren't open to the idea of taking girls who have depledged other chapters. For example, a girl came through rush last yr at my school who had pledged another sorority a year before. She got a bid. However, a girl re-rushing at Louisiana State might not have a chance in the world. It just depends.

Also, if you're going to rerush, girls in other chapters might recognize you from the previous year. If they ask you why you depledged, be honest without being degrading to the sorority you left.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:40 AM
GreekChat Member

smile

Last edited by Collegegirl822; 04-18-2007 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

smile

Last edited by Collegegirl822; 04-18-2007 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegegirl822 View Post
Lets just say my school is not too competitive... this might give away my school.. depending on how much anyone cares to look it up, but only about 8% of girls on campus are in sororities.
You pretty much did give away your school.

Sophs, Jrs, and even Srs routinely get bids there, and I doubt any other group is going to care that you started pledging, as long as you don't badmouth the group you depledged, and are honest about why you depledged.

My suggustion is to go to COB events for the groups that you are interested in, even though you are not eligible for a bid at this time. It will give them a chance to get to know you in a more relaxed enviroment. Look for chalkings on the sidewalks to find out about COB events.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
. However things just weren't working out, some finantial, and personal issues were not "falling into place" so i depledged.
If you are having financial issues with pledging, why do you want to join yet another group?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
If you are having financial issues with pledging, why do you want to join yet another group?
If this is the school I'm thinking of, dues can vary from $150 to $600 a group. I had trouble swinging my dues, but I definitely couldn't have handled $600.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes depledging can be counted against you, sometimes rushing more than once can be counted against you. It depends on the school and you. Rush again and see what happens. Spend this year saving money so you don't have financial problems, work out your personal issues, get good grades and get involved on campus. Have something to bring to the table when you rush again-- campus leadership and academic honors. Make friends-- getting involved in campus activities is a good way to do this and you will meet sorority women this way.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
also, I didn't leave beacuse of anything bad about the chapter.. it was purely personal reasons. so I have only good things to say about the house I was in.
This type of reason would actually make you more of a risk, in my opinion. I hope your personal reasons have been resolved? If not, what is there to keep you from de-pledging another chapter? If you honestly just didn't have much in common with the women in the first chapter, I would understand that.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I might also wonder why you didn't return to your original chapter. One of my sister-daughter's had a bunch of things happen during the semester she was pledging (grandma died, broke her foot, had to drop out of school for the semester) and we just held her over until the next semester. Usually chapters can work things out with you if it's truly only personal reasons.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

; ' 0

Last edited by Collegegirl822; 04-18-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I know a girl at my school (a large midwestern college with an extensive greek system) who did that last year and she re-rushed this year. She got to know a lot of the girls in the houses she was interested in. This year, she was a lot happier with the outcome. It was only awkward for her when she visited the house that she depledged, but after that it didn't matter. Just make sure you're not joining for the right reasons.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
You pretty much did give away your school.

Sophs, Jrs, and even Srs routinely get bids there, and I doubt any other group is going to care that you started pledging, as long as you don't badmouth the group you depledged, and are honest about why you depledged.

My suggustion is to go to COB events for the groups that you are interested in, even though you are not eligible for a bid at this time. It will give them a chance to get to know you in a more relaxed enviroment. Look for chalkings on the sidewalks to find out about COB events.

How did she just give away where she goes? I can name at least 3 colleges in the midwest with very non-competitive systems.

KLTC
Old 10-12-2006, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
How did she just give away where she goes? I can name at least 3 colleges in the midwest with very non-competitive systems.
Quote:
8% of girls on campus are in sororities.

That's a pretty spesific #. And I happen to know what college that # belongs to (recently published in an atricle about Greek life).
Old 10-12-2006, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
That's a pretty spesific #. And I happen to know what college that # belongs to (recently published in an atricle about Greek life).

Yeah but it can belong to any college also. Please stop acting like a know it all. Even if you do know what college it is, you do not need to broadcast it.

KLTC