GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,578
0 members and 2,578 guests
No Members online

Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUMom2011 View Post
Great story! My daughter is a Theta at Auburn and she says it is a wonderful group of girls!
Welcome!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2012, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
ANOTHER Theta ending? Awesome!!! Congratulations to your daughter! Thanks for sharing her story with us.
That's what I'm screamin'!

Congratulations on having such an awesome daughter, AuburnTiger! I'm so happy for your daughter and for Theta!

(Now, I'm dying to know who War is.... ;-) )
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

YEAH!!! So happy to hear about a Theta ending!!! Tell your daughter to come on over to the Theta list and say hello when she has a minute to come down out of the clouds
Old 08-20-2012, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
That's what I'm screamin'!

Congratulations on having such an awesome daughter, AuburnTiger! I'm so happy for your daughter and for Theta!

(Now, I'm dying to know who War is.... ;-) )
I'm curious about Eagle
Old 09-02-2012, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I am truly happy for you and your sweet daughter! Theta is a great organization and I believe that her experience will be a wonderful one.

Our recruitment story was not as happy. My daughter is an out of state freshman, captain of her high school dance team, on student counsel, has a great grade point average and she is now a member of one of the best choirs on Auburn's campus. During the week she was impressed at how sweet all the girls were to her and was so excited that she might have friends so early in college. She had over 30 recommendations (many from Auburn alumni) and was completely open to any house.

We were shocked when she was dropped from recruitment.

She has not stopped crying and just wants to come home or look for a school where she does not feel rejected. She has found a church that I hope will help her through this difficult time, but of course, she can't talk about her experience because she feels so humiliated. I myself have withdrawn from my friends and the many people that wrote recommendations for her as I just don't know what to say.

I would like to encourage you Moms that are so fortunate to have a daughter in the Greek community at Auburn to be grateful and joyful that you are not trying to help your daughter through this heartbreaking experience that has overshadowed the beginning of college.

I wish you many blessings over the next 4 years.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((AUCUMom&Daughter)))))) ))))))))))))))))))))))
Old 09-03-2012, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

AUCUMOM -- I'm so sorry and just hate to hear about this happening. These women are so young, away from home for the first time and THIS happens to them right off the bat. Every year in the SEC, we hear of really stellar girls either getting dropped or severely cut and there just seems to be no rhyme or reason for it.

Your daughter won't always feels as sad as she does right now, and neither will you. I know it's very hard right now, though, and I am very, very sorry.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUCUMom View Post
I am truly happy for you and your sweet daughter! Theta is a great organization and I believe that her experience will be a wonderful one.

Our recruitment story was not as happy. My daughter is an out of state freshman, captain of her high school dance team, on student counsel, has a great grade point average and she is now a member of one of the best choirs on Auburn's campus. During the week she was impressed at how sweet all the girls were to her and was so excited that she might have friends so early in college. She had over 30 recommendations (many from Auburn alumni) and was completely open to any house.

She has not stopped crying and just wants to come home or look for a school where she does not feel rejected. She has found a church that I hope will help her through this difficult time, but of course, she can't talk about her experience because she feels so humiliated. I myself have withdrawn from my friends and the many people that wrote recommendations for her as I just don't know what to say.

I would like to encourage you Moms that are so fortunate to have a daughter in the Greek community at Auburn to be grateful and joyful that you are not trying to help your daughter through this heartbreaking experience that has overshadowed the beginning of college.

I am so sorry this happened to her. If she hasn't stopped crying and it is affecting everything she is doing still maybe she ought to look into seeing a counselor who will help her feel better and adjust?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Has she registered for COB? I have heard that one group has started COB. It may just be rumor but the Panhellenic people should be able to tell her for sure.

My daughter is truly blessed to have received invites to three pref parties and to have received a bid to a sorority she loves. There are so many great activities at Auburn. Please encourage your daughter to get involved on campus. Also, please do not withdraw from your friends. What happened during recruitment is nothing to be ashamed of. Hiding from the world will make her feel like she let you down.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Indeed COB is occuring on campus right now. The reason I know this is because my daughter was unhappy where she pledged, and was trying to figure out if she could take a COB, which she could not. There are several chapters that are openly recruiting now, so she may be able to join one still. If she is a freshman, living on campus, she has to know or have met other girls who pledged, and would be happy to pass her name along to their chapter for consideration of a COB. If you don't want to mention it to her, since she is kinda fragile right now, I would make a call to the panhellenic or greek office myself and ask some general questions about it.

I understand your frustration. Even though our experience was different, it was devastating to my daughter to receive her third choice. I know that sounds bratty, but it is what it is. She was in tears for at least 2 weeks, and there was nothing I could do to fix it, nothing. I still hear some complaining and whining, but I just had to tell her to suck it up, and either accept it or not, preferrably to accept it!

My heart breaks for you and your daughter, and as an Auburn Alum and mom, I hate for her to want to leave our family. There are so many other organizations she can be involved in, if she can just get through this first semester. Please keep us updated, and I am sending lots of HUGS!!!!!

Last edited by AUmom2012; 09-03-2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: oops
Old 09-03-2012, 02:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I absolutely would NOT make any phone calls on your daughter's behalf. If she is not strong enough to handle this on her own, then she needs to deal with that before handling any further complications in her life. And that is well besides the fact that your daughter is now officially a grown up and this is not mommy territory.

I'd also try to relax. I know more than one college student has practically made sport of telling mommy how awful everything is and how she's crying all the time, when, while she might not be doing cartwheels down the dorm halls, she's fine. Now, this might not be your daughter's situation at all; I just wanted to put it out there as a possibility in case you're worrying yourself sick over nothing.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

"I absolutely would NOT make any phone calls on your daughter's behalf. If she is not strong enough to handle this on her own, then she needs to deal with that before handling any further complications in her life. And that is well besides the fact that your daughter is now officially a grown up and this is not mommy territory."

I didn't mean to call and give her SSN and Student ID, just call as a parent of a child at Auburn, just to set aside any questions that you might have, and I think as a 'mommy' if you wanted you certainly should. Anyway, I was only making a suggestion, knowing how much the other 'mommy' is hurting for her daughter right now.

Last edited by AUmom2012; 09-03-2012 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Because I don't know how to quote, so shoot me!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUmom2012 View Post
"I absolutely would NOT make any phone calls on your daughter's behalf. If she is not strong enough to handle this on her own, then she needs to deal with that before handling any further complications in her life. And that is well besides the fact that your daughter is now officially a grown up and this is not mommy territory."

I didn't mean to call and give her SSN and Student ID, just call as a parent of a child at Auburn, just to set aside any questions that you might have, and I think as a 'mommy' if you wanted you certainly should. Anyway, I was only making a suggestion, knowing how much the other 'mommy' is hurting for her daughter right now.
I'd make the call, in a generic way, as was suggested. If her daughter is tearful, the last thing she'd want to do is risk being told by Panhellenic that "you're too late" or "all groups doing COB have filled their spots", etc. Maybe it's the old journalist in me, but I'm all about gathering the facts and presenting them to her so she can make an informed decision and act on it. I'm not a helicopter mom by any means, but now is not the time to tell her she's on her own.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUCUMom View Post

I am so sorry! I know if it were me, I'd want to find out what happened.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

You will never know what happened. Even in your own sorority, nobody is going to give you a reason.
Truthfully, there may be no reason. Crazy stuff happens during recruitment. And it's probably not that nobody wants a particular girl; it's that her ranking wasn't high enough.

#1 - Not joining a sorority at Auburn is NOT as big a deal as at, say, Alabama. Auburn has LOTS of non-Greek students. It also has lots of other Greek-type alternatives - and joining them does not mean you can't join a sorority in the future. The mere fact that the girl in question is in one of the choral groups - the choral groups tend to be as close as a sorority - and it includes both sexes.

#2 - COB is available. She needs to sign up at the Panhellenic office. An open mind is even more necessary in this situation, because it won't be the most in-demand groups doing COB.

#3 - Spring semester COB. There is no organized effort, but many groups have spots open due to graduation, transfers etc. Plus, she'll have had a chance to make friends in the dorm with women from several different sororities as well as independents.

#4 - Rushing as a sophomore - not uncommon at all. Plus she'll have a year of grades (hopefully excellent grades), a year of maturity, a year of getting to know sorority women etc. etc.

#5 - She may not even need a sorority. She may find her own group of friends and make her own place at Auburn. Most do - even after they join a sorority.

#6 - As a mom with a daughter who went through the same thing, I can assure you that YOU worry about this way more than daughter does. Let her figure it out for herself - she'll probably surprise you!

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 09-03-2012 at 01:59 PM.