GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,237
2 members and 2,235 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Non-traditional PNM GPA question

Hi everyone! I just have a very general question about Panhellenic recruitment: I know that there is a minimum GPA to go through recruitment, but do individual sororities generally take into account higher GPAs (as in, is it just that as long as you meet the minimum, you're good, or is it better if you have one way higher?)

I'm concerned because I am in my 4th year at my university, which I know is typically a huge disadvantage. I will be staying for an additional year to finish everything up (so graduating in Spring 2011), but I'm concerned that my GPA of only a 3.1 may be another strike against me (I checked with the sororities that I am interested in and they vary from a minimum of 2.0-2.5 cumulative and semester GPAs).

I don't really know much about sorority recruitment, so I'm unsure if I would still even have a shot at this point if I went through spring recruitment (assuming any sororities choose to in the spring). Any advice?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-09-2009, 06:32 AM
GreekChat Member

That all totally depends on your school. From what you've told us, your class year is way more of a detriment than your grades.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late-To-Start View Post
Hi everyone! I just have a very general question about Panhellenic recruitment: I know that there is a minimum GPA to go through recruitment, but do individual sororities generally take into account higher GPAs (as in, is it just that as long as you meet the minimum, you're good, or is it better if you have one way higher?)

I'm concerned because I am in my 4th year at my university, which I know is typically a huge disadvantage. I will be staying for an additional year to finish everything up (so graduating in Spring 2011), but I'm concerned that my GPA of only a 3.1 may be another strike against me (I checked with the sororities that I am interested in and they vary from a minimum of 2.0-2.5 cumulative and semester GPAs).

I don't really know much about sorority recruitment, so I'm unsure if I would still even have a shot at this point if I went through spring recruitment (assuming any sororities choose to in the spring). Any advice?
We can't tell you for sure if you'll get a bid.

I find that at alot of schools, a 4th year may have a tough time.

This is especially true if you go to a competitive school.

I will say that my school had a relatively small and non-competitive recruitment and I only knew of like 3 seniors (in all my years of being active) who got bids (and they were transfers with multiple years left and lots of friends in chapters). So it was definitely not the norm.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:29 PM
stargazertechie

4th year rushee

My GPA is right around where yours is and I was extended a bid as a 4th year student who will most likely be finishing either this spring or next fall. My school isn't highly competitive, but I had a few more strikes against me as well (I was a repeat re-rusher... 4th time's the charm)

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
My GPA is right around where yours is and I was extended a bid as a 4th year student who will most likely be finishing either this spring or next fall. My school isn't highly competitive, but I had a few more strikes against me as well (I was a repeat re-rusher... 4th time's the charm)

I mean no disrespect to you or your organization, but Alpha Phi Omega recruitment cannot remotely be compared to NPC formal recruitment. So unless you are also a member of an NPC sorority, then you're not giving this woman relevant advice.

And to the OP: We don't know you. We don't know your campus. Even if fifth year seniors are regularly given bids, it still may not apply to you because you might be a herpes encrusted mountain of lard with the social skills of Genghis Khan. The only way to know your "chances" will be to participate in recruitment.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:29 PM
stargazertechie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie's_Rush View Post
I mean no disrespect to you or your organization, but Alpha Phi Omega recruitment cannot remotely be compared to NPC formal recruitment. So unless you are also a member of an NPC sorority, then you're not giving this woman relevant advice.
I accepted a bid this semester to an NPC sorority. I'd rather not divulge my affiliation, but yes, this is relevant advice. As I said, I had gone through formal recruitment before, so not only did I have the upperclass thing going on, I had the re-rush strike against me.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post

You went through formal recruitment four times?
Old 10-11-2009, 06:26 PM
stargazertechie

Re-Rush

No. I went through formal, a colonization, COB, and then formal again.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not really sure if my school (University of South Florida) is a "competitive" school as far as greek life goes...but I do plan to give it a shot if any of the sororities give the option for spring recruitment!

Wow, stargazertechie! That's really cool, and congratulations! I just tried to go though formal recruitment this fall, so I also have that strike against me too. Is there any advice you have for going through as a repeat rusher and a 4th year?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:22 PM
stargazertechie

Don't take it too seriously- go in with the attitude that it's not the end of the world if you don't get a bid, and you'll be much more relaxed.

Don't bring up the fact that you've rushed before. If they bring it up, don't deny it, but don't go broadcasting it.

Try to avoid the "so what year are you" questions. Talk about your major, your other involvement, what you want to be "when you grow up" etc. I found that most of the time the "so, are you a freshman" didn't even come up. Again, don't deny it, but don't broadcast it either.