GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,531
1 members and 1,530 guests
navane
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I find it interesting that they only do 3 rounds: Icebreaker, Skit, Preference. I wonder what their new member retention rate is with such an abbreviated schedule?

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-14-2006, 11:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to Angels&Arrows
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
I find it interesting that they only do 3 rounds: Icebreaker, Skit, Preference. I wonder what their new member retention rate is with such an abbreviated schedule?
Ole Miss only has three rounds: Philanthropy, Skit, Preference. Philanthropy (nine houses over two days); Skit (six houses); Preference (three houses). I have always found that amazing! Nine houses, three days, 850+ PNMs, and ~85% placement!!! I would estimate that retention is ~90%+/- for most chapters. (I do realize that Greek Life at Ole Miss is ALOT different then anywhere else... However, BSU is a southern school).
Old 09-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap View Post
I'm with you. I freak out about personal info on the internet.....hence the username change, lol
Um, your name is in your signature. Snap.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Birmingham-Southern is a small, private Methodist college; I think somewhere around 3,500 students. Smaller schools often have fewer rounds because of a smaller number of students going through. Plus, the majority of students tend to be from the Birmingham area and many of the already know each other.
But wow, Ole Miss has more than 1,000 going through and only 3 rounds?? Of course, rush begins well into the semester, plus sponsorship is a HUGE thing there...
Old 09-14-2006, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
birmingham southern posts the name and hometown of all incoming freshman before school starts.
Where is this found??
Old 09-14-2006, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Do students have a right to opt out of that? I guess that would be considered directory information, but post-Buckley Amendment that seems like the type of thing universities would shy away form.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels&Arrows View Post
Ole Miss only has three rounds: Philanthropy, Skit, Preference. Philanthropy (nine houses over two days); Skit (six houses); Preference (three houses). I have always found that amazing! Nine houses, three days, 850+ PNMs, and ~85% placement!!! I would estimate that retention is ~90%+/- for most chapters. (I do realize that Greek Life at Ole Miss is ALOT different then anywhere else... However, BSU is a southern school).

Actually, this year at Ole Miss there are 855 going through...registration has closed for this year. They also have added a new round to rush that is on Sept. 24. This round is called "Open House/Ice Water." At this round only ice water is allowed, no decorations, no songs, no nothing...and the PNMs will just get a tour of the house and then go onto the next house...all the other rounds like Angels&Arrows mentioned will remain the same. This new round was something added over the summer instead of the Greek BBQ before Recruitment in the Grove. At the BBQ they use to have there was so much dirty rushing going on that this way Gamma Chi's (Recruitment Counselors) will be able to monitor it better at organized "Open House/Ice Water" parties.

However, back to the point, I think BSU is similar in some ways and different than other big Southern schools.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's creepy, too. Maybe because things like which girls join which sororities isn't a topic that would get covered in the newspapers here out on the West coast. At least I can't imagine it would, and I've never seen anything like it. The most similar I've seen is when some newspapers here in Seattle print each year the top 10 graduates of area high schools, and where they're going to college.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
University of NE-Lincoln used to publish the recruitment results in the Lincoln and Omaha newspapers. Don't know if they do that anymore. Used to aggravate us at the UN-Omaha campus because the World-Herald would never do the same for the GLOs on our campus.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I think it's creepy, too. Maybe because things like which girls join which sororities isn't a topic that would get covered in the newspapers here out on the West coast. At least I can't imagine it would, and I've never seen anything like it. The most similar I've seen is when some newspapers here in Seattle print each year the top 10 graduates of area high schools, and where they're going to college.
I feel that it's one thing when hometown newspapers publish recruitment results because those have a fairly small circulation and the girls being written about are aware of it. When bid lists get published on the school's website and reposted on GC, most, if not all, of those girls are not aware of that and that's what I think is creepy about it.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally I don't think it's "creepy", I just don't see what the point is of posting a bunch of girls' names that none of us know.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

That too. If you know that 13 girls pledged your sorority at State U, and are personally not going to meet most of them, does it really matter what their names are?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
That too. If you know that 13 girls pledged your sorority at State U, and are personally not going to meet most of them, does it really matter what their names are?
So you have said, a number of times. Some people don't like the practice and some do. The names have been removed from THIS site (unless you want to click the link), so what is the ongoing issue?
Old 09-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Look, folks. Almost every sorority website I've ever seen lists the members and often their class standing and/or hometown. On one of my daughters' sorority websites, the girls' email addresses are listed. When the oldest was an active, each girl had a hyperlink to an individual photo of her if she wanted. How is that different from posting the new members? Most of the sororities will post their new members on their own sites anyway as soon as they can get to it.

I am sure that all the girls who rushed at BSC and are listed signed a paper to waive privacy rights regarding that issue. And it's too bad if you think it's creepy but most NMs I know around here want the world to know what they pledged. We alums who recommended them want to know too.

This did not come from some private listing; just like the Auburn and Alabama bid lists that were published on this forum a month ago, it's straight from the Panhellenic website. I am sure their hearts will be broken if they hear that some person who has nothing to do with NPC sororities or BSC was offended.
Closed Thread