GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,380
2 members and 1,378 guests
3DGator, LaneSig

Old 11-13-2003, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I finished Lil' Mama's Rules and I was totally moved by that book. I thought it was the typical love story at first, but boy oh boy, don't things change in that bad boy?! It's a great book to read to you literary lovers.

Currently, I'm reading WHAT YOU OWE ME by BeBe Moore Campbell. It's the next book in our book club. I'll keep you posted.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-13-2003, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by delph998
I finished Lil' Mama's Rules and I was totally moved by that book. I thought it was the typical love story at first, but boy oh boy, don't things change in that bad boy?! It's a great book to read to you literary lovers.

Currently, I'm reading WHAT YOU OWE ME by BeBe Moore Campbell. It's the next book in our book club. I'll keep you posted.
I tole you it was gon change, now didn't I, D998? It definitely makes you think.

I just started reading Jim & Louella's Homemade Heart-Fix Remedy by Bertice Berry. The title's kinda of soft but the book is fairly interesting so far.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 11-14-2003, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyB06
I tole you it was gon change, now didn't I, D998? It definitely makes you think.

I just started reading Jim & Louella's Homemade Heart-Fix Remedy by Bertice Berry. The title's kinda of soft but the book is fairly interesting so far.
I'm sorry that I doubted you, Tony!! The book was all that. Tell me how you like Jim & Louella's Homemade Heart-Fix Remedy. Whew...long title!
Old 11-14-2003, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by delph998
I'm sorry that I doubted you, Tony!! The book was all that. Tell me how you like Jim & Louella's Homemade Heart-Fix Remedy. Whew...long title!
it's a series of "down home" homilies told through the interpretations of a late middle-aged couple, Jim & Louella. The dialect and generational references really add to the lessons told in each chapter. It's the first book I've ever read by Berry.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyB06
it's a series of "down home" homilies told through the interpretations of a late middle-aged couple, Jim & Louella. The dialect and generational references really add to the lessons told in each chapter. It's the first book I've ever read by Berry.
Okay, keep me posted on if you like it or not.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I am re-reading this for who knows how many times

Do they hear you when you Cry
by Fauziya Kassindja and Layli Miller-Bashir

Its a memoir of a young woman from Togo (Fauziya) and her flight from home and her fight to gain assylum in the US to escape Female Genital Multilation (FGM). Layli was the young law student who worked and tried her case, which set immigration precedent. Both women were featured on Oprah a couple years back. It great insipiration how one person can create big change, and influenced my decision to attend law school after graduation.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Talking

I am in the middle of reading Terry McMillan's novel, "A Day Late and a Dollar Short". It's a really good read, but the family is just so daggone dysfunctional. I hope there's a happy ending.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I am reading SCAM by Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson. I find it hard to read fiction.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Love_Spell_6
I am reading SCAM by Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson. I find it hard to read fiction.
That's our next assigned book in my book club. How do you like it so far?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just finishing "Daughter" by Asha Bandele. Has anyone else read it? I had never heard of her before I saw the book.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 11-20-2003, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FeeFee
I am in the middle of reading Terry McMillan's novel, "A Day Late and a Dollar Short". It's a really good read, but the family is just so daggone dysfunctional. I hope there's a happy ending.
I finished the novel last night and it was indeed a very good read.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I am reading Martin Bernal's "Black Athena." I had heard that Greek culture was largely influenced by Egyptian culture (or even based on Egyptian culture). I think that since the two civilizations were in close proximity of one another, they definately had some influence on each other. There was some trading between the two. The book is very interesting. All I know is "history," the way it has been written and is being taught in schools today, is questionable.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

In the spirit of academia I am now reading "Identity and the Life Cycle" by Erik Erikson. I have to write a book report for school.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: More, more, more.....

Quote:
Originally posted by lil_sunshine
I'm currently reading, "Dust Tracks on a Road" by Zora Neale Hurston.
This was an interesting read, and it gave an in depth look into her upbringing, her education and how she began her career as a writer. I liked it a lot.
Quote:
I'll soon be reading, "Wendy's Got the Heat" by Wendy Williams and "Seraph on the Suwanee" by ZNH soon. I'll let you know how they are soon enough.....
Wendy's book was good and I liked it a lot. I could hear her voice all the way through the book. She talked about her upbringing, her "futuristic vision" and other things (if you wanna know about it, read the book!!!!! )

"Seraph on the Suwanee" was an interesting, but kinda slow read. I liked it and thought it was interesting b/c this was the first book she wrote to have predominately White characters, and "White trash" at that.

I'm currently reading, "Thieves' Paradise" by EJD. It's getting good now that I'm up to chapter 19. The other books I plan to read this month are, "Wrapped in Rainbows" by Valerie Boyd (this is a biography of ZNH), "Finding Fish" by Antwone Quenton Fisher, and "Growing up X" by Ilyasah Shabazz. I'll be finished with "Thieves' Paradise" in a couple of days and I'll let you know what I thought of it. Stay tuned........
"Having a nasty attitude won't yield you the results you want when you want them; it'll just make people steer clear of you and your toxicity in order to keep from being contaminated by you and your nastiness."- Me

Last edited by lil_sunshine; 07-03-2006 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: More, more, more.....

Quote:
Originally posted by lil_sunshine
I'm currently reading, "Thieves' Paradise" by EJD. It's getting good now that I'm up to chapter 19. ...I'll be finished with "Thieves' Paradise" in a couple of days and I'll let you know what I thought of it. Stay tuned........[/FONT] [/B]
lil_sunshine,

holla after Thieves Paradise. I'm the world's biggest EJD fan. TP is the only book of his I've heard other fans say they didn't like. I haven't read it yet, so I'm curious as to your opinion...without giving up the plot, however