GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,326
0 members and 1,326 guests
No Members online

Old 04-07-2003, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

UGA plans non-competitive Greek Week

U. GA Greeks will no longer compete during Week

By Abigail Smith
Published , April 07, 2003, 12:00:01 PM EDT

A week once dedicated to Greeks competing against each other is now a week for Greeks to work for a greater cause.

"We've done away with the competition aspect," said Phillip Gatins, InterGreek Council vice president for public relations. "There are no teams anymore."

For the first time the InterGreek Council is organizing Greek Week, which begins today.

The council was founded last year to promote diversity and interaction between all Greek organizations.

In the past, Greek Week was organized by an executive council of 18 Greeks. Sororities and fraternities were paired to participate in a week of competitions. Points were awarded, and the team with the most points at the end of the week won.

This year, there are no teams, no points and no prizes. But there will be fun, Gatins said.

"We want to get the whole community out and have fun being Greek," he said.

Organizing Greek Week is a wonderful opportunity for the InterGreek Council to promote their agenda, said Sarah Luppen, the council's vice president of Greek Week.

"Our whole thing is to promote interaction," she said.

The push for interaction -- the driving force behind the InterGreek Council -- is what is really going to bring Greek Week together, said Claudia Shamp, associate dean for Greek Life.

"The people in charge of Greek Week have a vested interest in doing things that bring all Greeks together," she said. "That is what they are about and that is what they are doing."

While Greek Week previously mainly consisted of many different smaller events going on all at once, this year they have been combined into "more quality events and less sheer quantity," Shamp said.

Greek Week will kick off today with a cook-out at Legion Field from 6 to 8 p.m. Fraternity presidents will man the grills, and one will be awarded the title of "Best Apron."

Billy Bennett, place kicker for the University football team, will perform with his band, Whole Lotta Angus.

The cook-out also is open to students not in a Greek organization, Gatins said.

"It's a great opportunity for non-Greeks to come see what we are all about," he said.

Tuesday's event, "Kick for Kids, Chick for You," will take place in the Tate Plaza. For $1, people can kick a soccer ball into a goal defended by one of the Greek leaders. They will receive a coupon to Chick-Fil-A and a can of Rush, a new energy drink.

Greek Night at the baseball game begins Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Foley Field. Greek Man and Woman of the Year will be crowned and then the two will throw out the first pitch, An all-Greek chorus also will sing the National Anthem.

Thursday, the Greek Week celebrations will wrap up with an all-Greek toga social at Last Call.

All the proceeds from the week's events will benefit the Boys and Girls Club of Athens, Gatins said.

"Greek Week is the bringing together of all Greek organizations to come together and celebrate being Greek," Shamp said.

Members of the Greek organizations said they are looking forward to the new style as well.

"I'm excited," said John Gilbert, a member of Delta Tau Delta Fraternity.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-07-2003, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Where's the fun in that?
Old 04-07-2003, 09:26 PM

Leslie, I agree - although I don't really know what Greek Week at a HUGE campus is like, I think the friendly competition is a big part of what gets people excited about it. This sounds more like a carnival type thing in addition to Greek Week.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

The only reason we participate is to say that we won! If we can't get anything from it, why go?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-08-2003, 04:58 AM
GreekChat Member

I think a good way to get the dog eat dog spirit out of greek week is to make the teams not be frats/ sororities but by classes.
so the frosh against the sophomores, against the juniors agaist the seniors. It's a competition, but it allows all the greek orgs to be on the same side.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I wish we could do that. I frankly am not a huge fan b/c my chapter always gets fourth (out of four houses) as we are the smallest and not spectacularly good at athletic events. The Chi Omegas always win--this will be their 21st year in a row.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
I think even if you say, "well, this isn't for points, so everyone play nice" people are still going to be competitive.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to enlightenment06
Healthy competition is good.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to docetboy Send a message via Yahoo to docetboy
Healthy competition is good. What would of been better was to do competitions such as penny wars or canned food pyramids - it gets greeks competing, but helping the community at the same time.

Old 04-09-2003, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I loved Greek Week and Greek Olympics. We didn't have prizes just bragging rights. It was fun.