GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,370
2 members and 1,368 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 08-13-2022, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Six fraternities at University of Southern California disaffiliate from the school

The fraternities that are disaffiliating from USC are the following: Kappa Alpha Order, Pi Kappa Alpha, Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Chi, Tau Kappa Epsilon and Zeta Beta Tau.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...h-usc-warnings

Quote:
In a mutiny against strict party rules imposed last year following allegations of frat house sexual assaults, six USC fraternities formally disaffiliated from the university Friday — prompting warnings of “serious ramifications” from campus administrators.
Old 08-14-2022, 06:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
"Fraternities must prohibit guests from entering bedrooms during social events. They must post guards not only at entry points and gathering areas, but also “at stairs or hallways leading to bedrooms,” the policy document states. Security vendors will be hired in consultation with USC officials."

I'm not sure how you're going to tell people who live in a house that they can't have guests in their room.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 08-14-2022, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
"Fraternities must prohibit guests from entering bedrooms during social events. They must post guards not only at entry points and gathering areas, but also “at stairs or hallways leading to bedrooms,” the policy document states. Security vendors will be hired in consultation with USC officials."

I'm not sure how you're going to tell people who live in a house that they can't have guests in their room.
During a party? They are supposed to be at the party. Sorority houses all have rules against guests in sleeping areas during certain hours every day. The number of SAs at this campus are insanely high. If they aren't policing themselves, then there are consequences.

The party narrative has to change if Greek Life is going to survive. Get parties out of residences and have them at local bars, rented halls, etc. Fraternities would be saving so much money in liability insurance if they stopped hosting parties at their houses.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:12 PM

Probably whatever they saved in insurance, they would spend in hiring out clubs or bars. This is LA. I can’t imagine what it costs to rent out a club for a night, plus have extra security to check guest lists. And call me cynical but I’m guessing the clubs would jack up their prices because they know these kids are over a barrel. So much for everyone being able to afford to join Greek life.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
During a party? They are supposed to be at the party. Sorority houses all have rules against guests in sleeping areas during certain hours every day.

And those young ladies agreed to those terms when they moved into the house, and I'm guessing those terms were set by the local chapter and/or their HQ, not the university.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 08-17-2022, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

We hosted events at venues in San Francisco fairly often, and usually by ourselves. 2 or 3 Greek orgs investing together could really make some magic offsite, even in urban California on a friday or saturday night. USC is not that far from DTLA...some of the weekday lunch restaurants with liquor licenses may have no interest in hosting unfettered weekend club crowds, but could be interested in an arrangement like this.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I was in LA this past weekend and I saw the men visiting the houses on 28th st. Depending on the source, the count is now 8 or 10 that have disaffiliated.
Old 08-22-2022, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

The only question I have is will their national organizations still support them? I've seen a few cases where a chapter will disaffiliate with a school but nationals will still recognize and support them.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 08-22-2022, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
And those young ladies agreed to those terms when they moved into the house, and I'm guessing those terms were set by the local chapter and/or their HQ, not the university.
It's not as though they can opt out though. You make it sound like a choice, but it's the reality of being in a sorority chapter with a house. Most chapters with houses have a live in requirement.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Our Pi chapter voted to leave USC IFC and join the new UPIFC (University Park IFC). This was approved by our National Council. Per the email, there are only 2 fraternities still under the USC IFC. As a result of this action, our chapter had to move out of the university owned house and move across the street where Chi Phi was residing during the 2021-22 academic year. A few other fraternities had to move out of the university owned houses to different houses on or near 28th street. (Greek Row)
Old 11-21-2022, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

As of today, all 15 fraternities have disassociated with the USC IFC and now belong to the University Park IFC (UPIFC).
Old 11-21-2022, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

It's good that the chapters in good standing got recognition from their national organizations. I saw something similar happen to Duke in which the sororities there formed the Durham Panhellenic and were able to continue with their activities.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story