GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,435
2 members and 1,433 guests
No Members online

Old 07-17-2007, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Looking for advice about rushing at the school I'm going to WIU

I'm currently attending a community college in IL, but in the fall I will be transferring to Western Illinois University in Macomb. I was reccomended to this site by a friend from another school, I've been I guess what ya'll would call "lurking" for awhile but I decided I wanted to post because I'm really wondering about the Greek life on the WIU campus.

I've gathered from the website that not a lot of people are involved percentage wise, does this mean it's not good to be a greek there? Are greeks looked down upon? Whats rush like I'm really a noobie at this kind of stuff so is it frilly or not frilly? How should I plan on dressing? Do I need to go buy new clothes? I've got a 3.0, will this hurt me being a sophomore, and not really knowing anyone since I'm transferring? Sorry for so many questions but seriously any information you have on WIU if you go there, or you just know of it would be super greatly appreciated!!

feel free to PM me too I think I've figured out how they work
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I rushed as a sophomore. There are houses that claim they only take freshman, but I've seen otherwise.

As for dress, first day of open houses, I literally ran to rush from the marching band field, still dressed in my colorguard gear...no one seemed to mind. Second day of open houses, I wore a jean skirt. Second round, I wore black jeans (new, so they were still jet-black, not grey...) a nice blouse, and a beaded wrap around my waist (good conversation starter - it was really cute). A few girls wore sundresses this round, but mostly it was still "business casual". Prefs, I wore a black skirt and a black and white blouse. Anything more that a sundress or skirt & blouse would be overboard - no cocktail dresses.

As a wise woman here said - Macomb is out in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do - so you'd think Greek life would be huge. It's not. I wouldn't say that it's looked down on, but Greeks don't rule the school.

Just go through rush (Delta Zeta is ususally good about keeping their website updated with Rush info - I think they've got this year's schedule up).

As for being a sophomore with a 3.0, that should make for a good rush. Recs aren't needed in the least bit, but if you happen to know someone in a sorority, it couldn't hurt (if they could even figure out what to do with it). If you would like to get recs, I can help you locate some chapter alumnae in your area (or give you the name of someone who can). If you "maximize your options", you'll end up somewhere great!

My only other advice, is that I know of at least 3 other people from WIU who post or lurk here often...so save the details of your rush until after it's over. (And then, I'm sure the ladies of GC would love to hear about your rush).

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. My chapter is no longer on campus, so obviously, I won't be pressing you toward a particular chapter....
Old 07-17-2007, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! This has really gotten me excited about it!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Another thing I thought of...I would recommend NOT joining the WIU Greeks Facebook group, and "cleaning up" and making private your Facebook/Myspace pages if you have them...at least until Rush is over. DO NOT accept friend invitations from ladies who are Greek until after Rush.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Above all, I would tell you not to sweat it. WIU rush will not be like any of the Southern rushes you will read about here.