GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293

Old 01-06-2000, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Interesting Publicity

There was some interesting articles in The Chronicle of Higher Education this month. They are all about greek life declining, and steps GLO's are taking to change their image. I encourage you to read these and respond to the editor.

Greg Killeen
Phi Gamma Delta

http://www.chronicle.com/colloquy/2000/frat/frat.htm
Old 01-07-2000, 12:26 AM

Angry

Ahhh, once again the phrase "the negative Animal House image" crops up. If Animal House portrayed such a negative image, why did fraternity numbers shoot up after its release???

As Greg commented, lots of non-Greek students party too, but you never hear about that. What about the student at Penn State who drank herself into a near coma - that story went away very quickly - if she would have been greek we'd probably still be hearing about it.

When students get discouraged from pledging by media, parents and administration the minute they step on campus, what can we expect? Alcohol free housing isn't the answer, it's just a front-row seat at the Hypocrisy Theater (go ahead & drink, just so we can cover our butts). If there's anything students can sniff out it's hypocrisy.

Let's get back to our values, true, but let's all also admit that having fun isn't a crime.
Old 01-07-2000, 12:35 AM

Lightbulb

I had a few other thoughts on that topic, I just dashed off my response too quickly.

There was an article in Newsweek a few years ago about how students are not going Greek because the drinking rules are too restrictive, and unless Greek life is a social must, many will avoid it. True, no one is ging to pay 100's of $$ to do community service, but I think it also has to do with students wanting to be treated like young adults, not infantilized. Interesting that many members of the generation who fought so for students' rights are the same ones trying to control current students' behavior. (not just in fraternities - I mean college in general)

And I also know that I as an alumna get a little sick of opening my sorority magazine & seeing that activities I gladly participated in are now construed as "hazing", and going to a party & enjoying a few is considered "binge drinking." I think this whole attitude has led to a lot of alums quitting donating...which leads to higher fees...which leads to not as many people and less diversity.