GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,443
0 members and 1,443 guests
No Members online

Old 06-28-2006, 04:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to john1082 Send a message via AIM to john1082 Send a message via MSN to john1082 Send a message via Yahoo to john1082
House Corporation as "Uber Zeta"

Has anyone encountered a house corporation that acted as an "uber zeta" passing judgment on all expenditures of the active chapter?

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-28-2006, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EM1843
That is how our functioned for a while. Some time during the 90s they took conrol of the financial books. Right now they skim their cut off the top before giving us back the % they deem we should recieve. Tony Dunn, who I think is recieving the order of merit this year, is the one responsible for this.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Only in an Alumni Advisory Board situation...

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 06-28-2006, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to john1082 Send a message via AIM to john1082 Send a message via MSN to john1082 Send a message via Yahoo to john1082
I've seen it in a Control Board situation, where a chapter is more or less placed into receivership. I was curious about the non-control board situations.
An Alumni Advisory Board shouldn't be doing this as they are there to advise not supervise.

What I think may be going on in the instant situation is that the dollars go to a management company which then dispenses funds back to the chapter with the concurrence of the House Corp. Not sure yet.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 06-28-2006, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes We did for a while!

We had to do it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-29-2006, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
SMU had this happen to them for a while in the late 80's early 90's in order to keep their charter.

Heard of it from time to time at other chapters. However, a HC should never, ever have "lordship" over chapter finances without some formal due process taking place - it shouldn't be arbitrary.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXAAlum
SMU had this happen to them for a while in the late 80's early 90's in order to keep their charter.

Heard of it from time to time at other chapters. However, a HC should never, ever have "lordship" over chapter finances without some formal due process taking place - it shouldn't be arbitrary.

Shawn is an interesting premise, but if there is a need, is it not true that some form of Alum may step in and take control no matter what they are called?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 06-29-2006, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Chapter Finances- Budget Approval

Greetings,

I have been involved with Zeta-Upsilon Zeta, in some Alumni capacity or another, since 1967. Our practice as a House Corporation was to review and approve the active chapter budget each year. This is a statutory requirement of our Fraternity. It is also a good idea. Next to stupid acts, the financial irresponsiblity of an active chapter can spell the death of a Zeta.

Under Code IV-31. Powers and Duties of the Executive Committee; part a. is found the following:

"Preparation of an annual budget of the Chapter/Colony to be approved by a majority vote of the Chapter/Colony. The budget shall likewise receive the full endorsement and approval of the house holding corporation, the alumni board of control, or other duly authorized agency of financial supervision. Any motion or action to alter the provisions of this budget must originate with the Executive Committee or from one of the aforementioned agencies."

I would think that an Active Chapter would welcome the involvement of its House Corporation or other Alumni Group. We are all Brothers from AM to End.

I suspect that the Alums and Actives in this situation need to get to know each other better, learn to respect each other, and then always work together for the common good. Of course, this is easier said than done....

The Beach Boys have a song with the simple refrain of " With A Cool Head and A Warm Heart." I like it. To me it means don't let emotions, like anger, get in the way of reason and it also means to me that we should treat everybody with understanding and affection. Maybe the Alums and Actives in this situaton need to remember that the success of a Zeta depends on everybody working together for our bond of Brotherhood.

Yours in ZAX,

Mike Raymond,
ZUZAA
Old 07-03-2006, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Mike could not agree with You more for the exception.

Sometimes Zetas get into trouble on many ends of the Officerships and there are many as We know.

A lot depends on the interaction of Aums.

We had many problems, not from Alums, but Actives who felt they knew best how to opperate the Chapter when they did not hava clue.

We did not try to dictate to them but work with them until it was to late and the harm was done. They then go beligerent and wanted to fight us. Well as the rest goes, that was History and We were almost and should have been de-chartered. I and some others would not give up and again, it is History!

It once again proves how important Alums can be if they are willing to work!

LX Z # 1
Alumni