GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,915
0 members and 1,915 guests
No Members online

Old 09-16-2007, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

What is greek life? -or- My poor college experience.

Hello, ive never really read any of the posts here other than the rules, and i have an honest question to ask the collective here, and ask for any advice i can get. I couldnt think of a proper title, so i used 2.

I'm in a local fraternity at Eastern Michigan University. We have been around since 1902. Unfortunately we dont keep many ties with the alumni brothers of past about 1970. In the mid 90's our fraternity was removed from the campus because of an accident that happened when someone was driving home, dont really know the full story. Reformed around 2000 and has been running since. We fluctuate between 20-30 members every year. More on the low numbers later.

I have been a member since spring 2003, and im one of the older brothers that are still active. I've held many offices: Funds and promo, athletic chair, gamma, historian, and im currently pledge master.

Now, our numbers. The odd thing is, we have just as many, and maybe even more members than most at EMU. Eastern isnt a huge university, but it has about 20k people attending. The reason for this is because there is no greek life, and even worse no school spirit. I feel that the latter contributes to the former very much. There is no help from the college in terms of Greek Life. The only thing they give us here is an IFC fee, and an elected group of members that seem to make up things as they go.

EMU starts off with a 2 week party ban at the beginning of each year. We have the biggest fraternity house on campus, and we first attract people to us by having events there. There are sports held by the college, but they are horrible versions of sports and ran with very odd rules. For instance, the one-pitch softball league, or the flag football league that you cant knock down passes w/o getting a foul in. My point is, Eastern offers nothing constructive to do for any of its student body, and is currently trying to do away with all Greek organizations. Even if they arnt trying to do that purposely, they are doing a damn good job of it by accident.

I come asking for advice. Im frustrated because ive kept this place afloat every year ive been in it, it seems, and there always seems to be snags or problems. Anything you can help me with would be very much appreciated.

-ryan
Old 09-16-2007, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

What are you looking for help with? Improving your image? Attracting more members? Your post, although long, is very vague.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:15 PM

Do first semester freshmen rush at your school (fraternities and/or sororities)? I'm guessing the party ban is to keep the freshmen from being unduly influenced to join a fraternity just because they partied there. It makes sense. And even if there wasn't a ban, many times NPC women and rushees aren't allowed to go to parties during rush week.

If you're the only local at the school people are going to wonder "what's up with that?" Make sure people know your history and your ties to the school.

As far as the lack of school spirit and participation...all I can say is if all the school looks at when admitting students is their checkbooks, it's going to happen. The only thing I can advise is for all the fraternities to work together - if there's a lot of competitiveness and backbiting no one is going to want to be a part of that. If the school's intramural leagues suck, create a fraternity one - if the school balks at that, explain why you're doing it. Just sitting by & saying "this school sucks" isn't going to change anything,