GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,516
1 members and 2,515 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 07-19-2004, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

The old house mom who worked for us for decades until she died(Mrs. T) haunts our house, especially the room right above her old apartment. She flicks the lights on and off, she opens and closes doors. She's also appeared in the mirrors of the room right above her old apartment and she's been known to talk to the girls in that room while they're trying to sleep!

pi phi love,
...colleen*
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2004, 02:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrica9
um that's highly illegal of that paper, and i hope they're taken to court. even if the mom hadn't specified to keep her daughter's name out of it, there are still ethical and legal issues surrounding that sort of situation that should have kept that paper from printing that information.
but because she did specify to leave it out and they didn't comply, they could be accused of libel if taken to court.

You can only sue for Libel if something was untrue. It may have been wrong for the paper to include the name ethically but i'm pretty sure you can't sue unless it was false information. Technically, papers can include something such as a rape victim's name in an article as well because it's public information, however decide that morally it's not right. savvy?

pi phi love,
...colleen*
Old 07-19-2004, 03:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by collme83
You can only sue for Libel if something was untrue. It may have been wrong for the paper to include the name ethically but i'm pretty sure you can't sue unless it was false information. Technically, papers can include something such as a rape victim's name in an article as well because it's public information, however decide that morally it's not right. savvy?

pi phi love,
...colleen*
If the police tell a paper not to print names, though, it is illegal for the paper to do so. I wonder if that happened in this case?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to JupiterTC
Quote:
Originally posted by aphibeach
Curtis is in jail waiting for the trial to begin. the second murderer was the one who drove off the ravine and died (during the car chase)

trust me, all the incoming freshmen know about what happened, so there's no way of "keeping this" from them. murders have never happened on our campus before May and every paper in NC had some sort of article on it, since the first girl killed was from Raleigh and the murderer was from Charlotte (which are the two biggest cities in the state).
I've heard a lot about it in the news ( I live in Burlington). A girl was raped at Elon in the late 80s, but I don't remember which sorority she was in. She accused the wrong guy because he only looked like the rapist and the police arrested him. Years later they finally found the right guy, and released the other guy from jail.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
However, the TKE house at Long Beach State used to be an AIDS HOSPICE in the early part of the 1900's...
I'm guessing it was a TB hospice or sanitarium - there used to be a lot of those out West (where the air was "better").

At Penn State, we had boring dorms for the sororities, and houses that started out as fraternities for the guys. The only ghosts I heard about was the ghost of "Old Coaly", a donkey that used to live on campus- not exactly terrifying.

We have, however, had a bunch of very creepy unsolved murders/disappearances - a girl raped and killed on her way from the bus station in the 40s, a grad student stabbed in the heart in the library stacks in the late 60s, someone stabbed in her apartment in the 90s, and, a few years ago, a Korean student simply vanished.

The murder in the library stacks has become legendary, and is often used to frighten freshmen...
Old 07-19-2004, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
If the police tell a paper not to print names, though, it is illegal for the paper to do so.
Actually, I don't think that's true. Police can request, but not compel a news organization not to publish/broadcast something. Also, to be libel, there has to be proof not only that the information is false, but that it was published with full knowledge the information is wrong and intent to injure the other party. It is very hard to prove.

ETA:

"there are still ethical and legal issues surrounding that sort of situation that should have kept that paper from printing that information."

Again, there are not legal issues with publishing a rape victim's name unless a court has so ordered. Most newspapers and broadcast organizations will not, generally, identify a rape victim because they feel it's unethical -- but it is not a legal issue. Under some very special circumstances, news organizations do name victims as well as suspects.

The Kobe Bryant trial here in Colorado is a good case in point. A Tabloid ID'd the alleged victim, but mainline news media here in Denver still haven't used her name to the best of my knowledge.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 07-19-2004 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
've heard a lot about it in the news ( I live in Burlington). A girl was raped at Elon in the late 80s, but I don't remember which sorority she was in. She accused the wrong guy because he only looked like the rapist and the police arrested him. Years later they finally found the right guy, and released the other guy from jail.
i used to go to Elon.....i remember hearing about that. now Elon has some scary ghost stories. i know of one from when i went there. before Elon was Elon, it was an all girl's school. a fire broke out in the early 1900s in one of the dorms and a few girls ended up dying. the school rebuilt the section of the dorm that burned down and i had friends who told me that at the same time every night, they would hear footsteps running up and down the hallways on the third floor. they would go out in the hall to see what was going on and the window that leads to the fire escape would be wide open. the girls on the floor did some research and learned that the time these footsteps would be heard was the time the fire broke out and the reason the window kept opening was the ghosts trying to get out of the burning building.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Ugh this is so creepy. This is the guy who did the Michigan Murders.

http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis...cNumber=126833

KLTC
Old 07-19-2004, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by PM_Mama00
Ugh this is so creepy. This is the guy who did the Michigan Murders.

http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis...cNumber=126833
Sometimes I look at criminals like him and wonder why people couldn't fight him off. I'm not meaning AT ALL to sound crass or inconsiderate. He just looks so pathetic, you know?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by collme83

pi phi love,
...colleen*
ok, we just covered this in my news reporting class, and the official standing on libel is that when you interview someone, and they ask for something, such as a name, to not be printed, that is a verbal contract that is binding, and if that information is printed, even though her name is factual, it is still considered libel.

Again, there are not legal issues with publishing a rape victim's name unless a court has so ordered. Most newspapers and broadcast organizations will not, generally, identify a rape victim because they feel it's unethical -- but it is not a legal issue. Under some very special circumstances, news organizations do name victims as well as suspects.

actually, a rape victims name is sensitive information, especially in a case such as this, and if there is any chance of releasing their name having an effect such as in this case, then the paper is not supposed to.
they never have to identify someone like that.

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 07-19-2004, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AGDee
He was a student at EMU at the time and was a sociopath, but he wasn't mentally retarded. He was in a fraternity. You can read some bits and pieces about him on this site:

John Norman Collins

I've read as much as I can about this guy...

ok thanks for the info
Old 07-20-2004, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrica9
actually, a rape victims name is sensitive information, especially in a case such as this, and if there is any chance of releasing their name having an effect such as in this case, then the paper is not supposed to.
they never have to identify someone like that.
That's true, but in most cases (I think there are now some rape shield laws in some states), this is a matter of professional ethics, not the law. That's a very big difference. Thankfully, most legitimate news organizations do try to protect the victim.

ok, we just covered this in my news reporting class, and the official standing on libel is that when you interview someone, and they ask for something, such as a name, to not be printed, that is a verbal contract that is binding, and if that information is printed, even though her name is factual, it is still considered libel.

I'd like to see some documentation on that. I can see it IF the reporter AGREES not to use the name and then does -- but I don't think that one person can form a contract without the other person agreeing.

Libel is extremely difficult to prove, and was made so by the framers of the laws in order to give some amount of freedom to the News Media -- and that was so the "Free Press" could/can act as a watchdog over government as well as other parts of society.

I'm not sure what this has to do with hauntings, but it's an interesting discussion.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.

Last edited by DeltAlum; 07-20-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum

I'm not sure what this has to do with hauntings, but it's an interesting discussion.
Amen, i want to hear more about the fun scary stuff....there needs to be a legal forum here on the site
Old 07-21-2004, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to greekgirl1983 Send a message via Yahoo to greekgirl1983
does anyone know....

i remember seeing a show on fox family(now abc family) when i was younger. It was one of those real scary story shows that went to haunted places.
well...in one show they had a segment on a university where apptly in the late 1800s to early 1900s a girl lived in a dorm room, and was making hot fudge(or something like that) and somehow her room got set on fire and she died. And apparently the room was restored and everything, but the door that was put on had a screaming face in the wood(not carved into it..but it looked like it was natural), so they took the door down and put up a new one, but that one had the face too. I think they ended up putting a steel door up or something, but they kept the other door in storage.
does anyone know what college this is?
Old 07-21-2004, 02:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: does anyone know....

Quote:
Originally posted by greekgirl1983
i remember seeing a show on fox family(now abc family) when i was younger. It was one of those real scary story shows that went to haunted places.
well...in one show they had a segment on a university where apptly in the late 1800s to early 1900s a girl lived in a dorm room, and was making hot fudge(or something like that) and somehow her room got set on fire and she died. And apparently the room was restored and everything, but the door that was put on had a screaming face in the wood(not carved into it..but it looked like it was natural), so they took the door down and put up a new one, but that one had the face too. I think they ended up putting a steel door up or something, but they kept the other door in storage.
does anyone know what college this is?
.whoa.
that's super creepy!