GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 918
2 members and 916 guests
KDKells, Xidelt

Old 04-07-2015, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

It's very unlikely that a single student can push a recolonization forward in this way. You're much better off trying to find a home in the current GLOs available at your campus or letting the issue go.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
It's very unlikely that a single student can push a recolonization forward in this way. You're much better off trying to find a home in the current GLOs available at your campus or letting the issue go.
According to her, that isn't the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogreekorwhat View Post
Thanks for the awesome answers! Do you know how long this process will take? And how exactly are new members recruited? I'm going to be a junior next semester, but I have about 40-50 girls who are interested in joining.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Is the OP's college even looking to add a sorority? That is the first question she should ask.

Also OP, rarely does recolonization work as you have suggested. Most often the national officers and local alumnae of the (re) colonizing sorority do the presentations and choose the members. Even if an interest group exists, not all of the interest group might be extended bids. There is no guarantee.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

why that particular group?

I'm curious to know what it is about that particular group that appeals to the OP given that they had an internal culture of hazing on that campus just two short years ago? For the chapter to have lost it's charter, there was either a pattern or history of that behavior OR a MAJOR incident.

Even if the campus is open to another group, why not one of the many other NPC groups rather than that particular group?
Old 04-07-2015, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds as if it could be a case of "or what" for the OP.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogreekorwhat View Post
I feel like out of all the established NPC sorority chapters at my school does not exactly fit my philosophy and philanthropic beliefs.
I really don't think that you should let this stop you from seeing what amazing organizations those groups may be. I have to be honest. My sorority has changed philanthopy focus since I joined, and if I knew then, what i know now, and had the current philanthropy focus been our philanthropy focus THEN, I would have steered clear of my sorority because I significantly disagree with this organization (charitynavigator.org doesn't have anything nice to say about how they use the funds they raise and I think it's total crap that our girls are raising so much money for a company that's being wasteful...)

Anyway.... I love my sorority. My sorority is NOT the philanthropy. As an alumna, I choose to not be involved in that aspect anymore. I have other ways that I get involved in philanthropic efforts in my personal life. I would have hated to miss out on my sorority because I wrote them off dur to the philanthropy group they were associated with.

Just something to think about....
Old 04-08-2015, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
According to her, that isn't the case.
I understand. But she (and her interest group) must convince the NPC sororities on campus to agree to expansion and the school has to agree to expansion. (If any of the remaining groups are weak in recruitment, they are likely to drag their feet on agreeing to it.) Then they have to advertise the opening and accept proposals from interested NPC groups. The NPC groups may visit campus to check it out before hand. They will visit campus and make presentations. The Panhellenic Council will vote on who they want the extension group to be. The school will approve that choice. An invitation will be extended and accepted. The extension will be scheduled and the sorority chosen will start working on building alumnae support and campus interest. Usually campus extension recruitment occurs after formal recruitment, so ALL of that would have to happen before August for OP to be recruited as a junior for a school that does fall recruitment, or December for a school that does spring recruitment. I just don't think that's a very likely scenario. It could easily happen before her senior year, but seniors are usually the smallest component of a recruitment class. Just on a timing basis, it's going to be difficult for OP to get a bid even if she does successfully convince everyone to engage in extension.

When KD was selected at WUSTL, it was almost 18 months AFTER the selection as announced happened that colonization recruitment occurred. WUSTL is currently open for extension and it's going faster this time. (The whole process took almost 22 months.) They plan on choosing a new group by the end of the year and holding colonization recruitment in late January or early February -- 10 to 12 months after the announcement that the campus was open for extension went out.

And all THAT is assuming that OP is chosen to get a bid. It isn't a guarantee. The sorority that is chosen doesn't have to take anyone and everyone in the interest group. They are doing recruitment and they get to choose their own members. They can invite or decline any potential new member they choose.

Colonization is not a strong bet if OP wants to be in a GLO.

Last edited by KDCat; 04-08-2015 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPerry View Post
I'm curious to know what it is about that particular group that appeals to the OP given that they had an internal culture of hazing on that campus just two short years ago? For the chapter to have lost it's charter, there was either a pattern or history of that behavior OR a MAJOR incident.

Even if the campus is open to another group, why not one of the many other NPC groups rather than that particular group?
An interesting thought. She's a Junior, the group was kicked off two years ago, so that's when she was a Freshman. So it was on campus when she got to the school. I wonder if she had any contact with the Sorority when she first got to campus...

And even if the school is open to expansion, my guess is that the school would prefer a sorority that doesn't have any sisters who were (probably) forced to be early alumni still on campus.

(Can anyone think of a situation with a GLO that a school derecognized the chapter (even if the National didn't pull the charter based on Hazing and let the group back on campus in less than 4 years?)
Old 04-08-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
(Can anyone think of a situation with a GLO that a school derecognized the chapter (even if the National didn't pull the charter based on Hazing and let the group back on campus in less than 4 years?)
You're talking about multiple different things here.

If she really did know the previous members as a freshman and this is a sort of backdoor effort (as in, once the chapter is reinstated the collegian alumnae will be invited to functions and such) I'd hope she'd be a little more discreet than to bring it up on GC where someone will invariably (as you did) think of that possibility.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
An interesting thought. She's a Junior, the group was kicked off two years ago, so that's when she was a Freshman. So it was on campus when she got to the school. I wonder if she had any contact with the Sorority when she first got to campus...

And even if the school is open to expansion, my guess is that the school would prefer a sorority that doesn't have any sisters who were (probably) forced to be early alumni still on campus.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this happened at Miami University(OH) a few years ago. Two (or three) organizations got in trouble, were suspended by the university, but came back 2-3 years later.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-08-2015, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsey View Post
I really don't think that you should let this stop you from seeing what amazing organizations those groups may be. I have to be honest. My sorority has changed philanthopy focus since I joined, and if I knew then, what i know now, and had the current philanthropy focus been our philanthropy focus THEN, I would have steered clear of my sorority because I significantly disagree with this organization (charitynavigator.org doesn't have anything nice to say about how they use the funds they raise and I think it's total crap that our girls are raising so much money for a company that's being wasteful...)

Anyway.... I love my sorority. My sorority is NOT the philanthropy. As an alumna, I choose to not be involved in that aspect anymore. I have other ways that I get involved in philanthropic efforts in my personal life. I would have hated to miss out on my sorority because I wrote them off dur to the philanthropy group they were associated with.

Just something to think about....
So what's your organizations philanthropy?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that this happened at Miami University(OH) a few years ago. Two (or three) organizations got in trouble, were suspended by the university, but came back 2-3 years later.
Suspended isn't closed and recolonized. I thought what happened with those groups was that they weren't allowed to participate in anything social or Panhellenic (in other words rush) but that 2 years later if the same members were there they could be active. The Miami peeps on here would know more.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

In the instances where we've have experienced suspension, it included losing the house, all recognition, etc but with an allowance to return in X number of years without going thru the expansion process - IF we wanted to. So in essence, we were kicked off campus and given first dibs on coming back in 2 years time. All members were instantly alumnae.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:36 PM

So you moved your feet but did not lose your seat. For some reason I recall the Miami suspensions LaneSig is talking about as not instantly alumni-fying the current members though.

Another important issue for the OP to be aware of is whether a group thinks the campus is worth it. A school where the chapters have 200 people and a 60% Greek population is going to be one that they'll be chomping at the bit to return to. One with 40 member chapters and a 10% Greek population, not so much.

But we have no idea if the banning the original poster spoke of came from the school or from the national headquarters. Schools don't always consider things hazing that HQs do.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners52674 View Post
This rubs me the wrong way. You're a junior who is just now wanting to go Greek, yet you've already decided none of the sororities on campus meet your standards.

If someone on my campus decided to petition panhellenic for expansion based on not liking the current sororities, I'd vote no, every time.

It's one thing to petition for expansion if your active chapters are bursting at the seams, it's another when you petition because you don't like the current sorority choices.
This, OP, is known as Panhellenic Spirit; sincerely hoping your campus offers same.