GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 1,684
2 members and 1,682 guests
naraht, TLLK

Old 11-28-2001, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

I wonder how much of the "burnout" has to do with chapter size. Like, maybe with smaller chapters, if two or three people stop doing stuff, things get really jacked up.

We had three seniors last year, and they were the most involved in the chapter, because they had seen the chapter through bad times, great times, and shaky times. Our current seniors are all either relatively new, or spent time abroad, so most of it's new to them or they're really excited about being back. We offer a lot of incentives to seniors who remain active, too.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-28-2001, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

What kind of incentives? We have senior burnout too and it would be great to do something to help.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:52 PM

I am sure chapter size can be a factor, but participation rates are a major issue too even in a larg chapter. We had well over 100 girls even my senior year, and there were at least 15-20 girls in each class. But for whatever reason, it seemed that the same people were out there participating in things time after time. You had your core group who were the heart and soul of the chapter and carried everything. Having been a part of that group, I know how much of a toll it can take. We finally started making things mandatory, which is pretty sad because people should want to go to things...there would be a $50 fine for an unexcused absence.
Old 11-28-2001, 08:39 PM

I have never, ever understood why people pay dues and then never go to things. Why are you wasting your money? if you don't want to be there, get the hell out.

I don't mean the seniors who are graduating or the people with lots of other activities who WANT to be there...I mean the people who show up for mandatory meetings and ritual and never anything else...mixers, enrichment events, even hanging out at the house. I don't know about y'all but I certainly didn't love sister meetings enough to have my dues be solely for the privelege of attending them.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the way his thread has evolved. I would really like it to be just random conversation as it seams to be heading. Maybe we could change the name of the thread.

On burnout-The Sigs had an event in Houston, The Wild Game Dinner. The Alums who were hunters donated a portion of each season's bag to this night. The Little Sister (though a subserviant role) served the courses that the actives, along with alums, roasted. It was cocktail attire and LOTS of future contacts were made that night. There were NO drunken displays and it was quite "grown up". The turnout was spectacular. Maybe we need some age approptiate activities for the upper classmen. Give them a reason to attend. It wouldn't hurt the younger crowd to gain experience in a more mature situation either.

This is the time when you will be embarking on your independant life and looking at Jr. League or other "Societies". Contacts are so important, so why not create a situation that would attract those who are interested.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Wouldn't this be an arguement for letting more upperclassman-specifically juniors-join. In my pledge class I was a junior and there were several others and we were so excited to be there that we were the most active-not burned out at all by the time we were seniors. The freshman were also active but they were trying to still figure college out, sophomores were also active but knew they had 3-4 more years of being in the sorority. Being juniors we knew our time was limited and knew that we had missed out by not joining as freshman/sophomores so we really made an effort and were involved in everything. I guess if you have strict 4 year programs at your school then having more juniors join might be hurtful down the road b/c of losing them to graduation but most universities are not like that and it can take 5-6 years to get a degree. Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-29-2001, 06:49 AM
GreekChat Member

One thing sororities say is they have a higher 4 year graduation percentage along with higher GPA's. (Most parents say it's now 5 years) Add to that all the explanations about dues, I can see both sides. Your example is universal. When I was in Jr. League, all of us complained about the amount of time we had to spend. It really was like going through pledgeship again. I remember being pregnant, as were others, at the time and we had to be very careful selecting the meetings we might miss. Some of the girls were as young as 22. I was 29. All of us felt the League should have looked more to older women. By the time you had the freedom to go to all the meetings, you hit alum status.

We lost so many-I was one-because we felt if we were going to give our time as volunteers, we would do it for projects our kids were in, like helping their teachers,school carnivals or the team sports. I think priorities are different for many young people and the cost of college is increaing every year. Time really is a commodity.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a bit off the subject but, I've heard, and this could all just be a rumor, That one, possibly two sororities are coming back to LSU. I'm a bit skeptical about all this, but Justamom, I was wondering if you heard anything. If this is true, I'm all for it. Maybe it will allow less girls to be cut from the whole Greek experience.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:01 AM
GreekChat Member

hi jam

been awhile...
how's your daughter doing?
mmcat
Old 04-05-2002, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

ThetaLove---Yes, there are "rumblings" of bringing another sorority back on campus. It sure would help, but they have a real problem with housing and now, there is something about PARKING for the students being such a huge problem that it could have an influence (DON'T ASK ME HOW) Maybe h2oot knows. If they can't be in the vicinity of the other houses, it would be really rough-to say the least. Almost all the sororities support the concept of bringing a new chapter to campus. My own opinion is get the show on the road, but it may be prudent to wait and see if the recruitment numbers hold up.

mmcat-how nice of you to ask! Things are great! Went to the luncheon they had and met a ton of her sisters. I can't tell you how impressed I was. Talk about FUNNY! I laughed the entire time! When I left, I didn't cry- first time) I have NEVER seen her so HAPPY! She has grown so much and she loves her sisters you can just FEEL it (Something I never experienced to that degree). They are in Florida and so is every other LSU sorority and fraternity. This coming week is Greek Week and Song Fest. You kow that will be a blast! The following week is her formal. NO DATE YET AND NO DRESS!!! She said it's no biggie (date that is) she will grab a friend so she can have a good time.

She is getting an apt. with three others and there are tons of DGs in the complex. Now what am I NOT talking about----OH -------GRADES!!! Well, they aren't as pretty as I had hoped, but they are better than MINE were my first year! Better than Hubby's grades as well! They are better than last semesters.

Her friends...well, that's all kind of sad. Some have left and come home or changed to smaller colleges. One is really unhappy---didn't get initiated due to grades, and the BSU or is it L circle still thinks she's going to hell. Those that are happy in their GLOs have cut themselves off from others. She didn't because she has so many outside activities that put her in contact with GDI's. She said that is DG's strong point at LSU-they are active in every aspect of Campus life and their HANDS ON visibility is high. For the most part, students recognize DG and have a very good opinion of them. I'll quote her, "Unless you just go to class and straight home or to work, you know a DG" This suits her to a "T"!
Old 04-05-2002, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
JAM, I'm glad everything is going well for your daughter. I remember when you posted her recruitment story. It's great that everything worked out for the best!
Old 04-05-2002, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

What is the L circle?
Old 04-05-2002, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Leslie-Thank so much............What a blessing!!!

Billy-At LSU, the Baptist Student Union (This is what I'm not sure about, the last letter) BS Life-, BS Club, is REALY a strong organization with equally strong beliefs. This is indeed wonderful and honorable. It has been her experience that a large percentage of the membeship SHE IS IN CONTACT WITH look down upon Greek Life. The funny thing is, two guys she is consideing asking to her formal are active in this club. They know she can take or leave drinking and like her for who she is...have even defended her when she (and Greeks) were verbally attacked by some girls during lunch. This is the group some of her HS friends have become vey active with.

Last edited by justamom; 04-05-2002 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

just thought I'd bring this up to refresh us all about LSU...
Old 02-27-2005, 08:32 AM
Unregistered-

When I was in Baton Rouge K drove me around to see all the Greek houses. I was in AWE. They're all simply just beautiful.

I also got to meet a bunch of Greeks that one time when we went bar hopping in TigerLand.

I can't wait to go back!