GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,138
1 members and 2,137 guests
fmanning

Old 11-15-2007, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
SYDNEY (AFP) - Santas in Australia's largest city have been told not to use Father Christmas's traditional "ho ho ho" greeting because it may be offensive to women, it was reported Thursday.
I'm pretty sure it would only be offensive to a woman with a dirty conscience.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-15-2007, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I'm pretty sure it would only be offensive to a woman with a dirty conscience.
well....you have SOME women who have no problems referring to each other as b!tches and hoes......so.........that may rule the whole conscience thing out.
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 11-15-2007, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

The company said that their policy was misrepresented. They leave it up to the Santa I think they were simply told to be aware that if someone gets offended, just say ha ha ha and don't push the issue.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

BRANDYWINE HUNDRED, Del. -- Delaware State Police have arrested a Chester, Penn., man who they said was running naked and drunk on Interstate 95 and caused three accidents.

Police said Ardonas Gilbert, 26, was running along the southbound lanes near Marsh Road at about 10 p.m. Monday. He is charged with two counts of assault and a single count of being drunk on the highway.

Two citizens tried to help Gilbert, but police said he began to assault them.

Police said he then ran back into traffic and caused three accidents when cars tried to avoid hitting him.

No one was seriously injured.

Gilbert is being held at the Howard Young Correctional Institute in Wilmington.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22007049/

MSNBC News Services
updated 2 hours, 4 minutes ago

KHARTOUM, Sudan - A British teacher has been charged with inciting hatred, insulting religion and showing contempt of religious beliefs after her class named a teddy bear Muhammad, state media said on Wednesday.

I find this a complete overreaction on the part of the Sudanese government and I'm Muslim myself. Children don't know any better and it's not as if she was deliberately trying to insult Islam. Furthermore, they could have easily asked her to renam the bear and explained why and that would have been the end of it. No wonder most of the world thinks we are just violent extremist terrorists...

IF YOU HAVE ONLY ONE SMILE IN YOU, GIVE IT TO THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE.
--------MAYA ANGELOU
Old 11-28-2007, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Isn't it often used as a name for Muslims?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Isn't it often used as a name for Muslims?
Yes, but naming a son after Muhammad is an honor, while naming a stuffed bear after Muhammad is an effigy and blasphemy. At least that's how the Sudanese court's treating it.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

BOSTON - The winner of a $1 million lottery scratch ticket may not be so lucky after all: He's a convicted bank robber who isn't supposed to gamble. Timothy Elliott faces a Dec. 7 court hearing over whether he violated his probation when he bought the $10 ticket for the $800 Million Spectacular game at a supermarket in Hyannis.

Elliott was placed on five years' probation after pleading guilty in October 2006 to unarmed robbery for a January 2006 heist at a bank on Cape Cod. Under terms of his probation, he "may not gamble, purchase lottery tickets or visit an establishment where gaming is conducted, including restaurants where Keno may be played."

Elliott, 55, has collected the first of 20 annual $50,000 checks from the Massachusetts lottery commission. A picture of Elliott, holding his first check, was posted on the lottery's Web site Monday, though it was removed by Wednesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071128/...lottery_winner

Devil's advocate:

Which would be easier...

Let him keep the earnings which will be taxed and possibly keeping him from turning to crime again

or

Lock him up and possibly ruining his livelihood which may cause him to rob again?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 11-29-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
No. It's clearly a violaton of his probation.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Take classes online...using your mobile phone

I wonder what happens if you lose your signal??

TOKYO - Japanese already use cell phones to shop, read novels, exchange e-mail, search for restaurants and take video clips. Now, they can take a university course.

Cyber University, the nation's only university to offer all classes only on the Internet, began offering a class on mobile phones Wednesday on the mysteries of the pyramids.

For classes for personal computers, the lecture downloads play on the monitor as text and images in the middle, and a smaller video of the lecturer shows in the corner, complete with sound.

The cell phone version, which pops up as streaming video on the handset's tiny screen, plays just the Power Point images.

http://redorbit.com/news/technology/...pan/index.html
Old 11-29-2007, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Roadkill Teddies

I am just finding all kinds of wierdness today

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article...1&in_page_id=2

Give your loved one a road kill toy for Christmas
Animal and cute toy lovers look away now.

First came the toys which turned venereal diseases and parasites into the cutest of soft toys, now prepare for road kill toys.

A toy designer has come up with a gory end for teddy bears and other cuddly animal toys.

The first to be launched is Twitch, the Roadkill Teddy, which comes complete with opaque plastic body bag to keep the maggots out and attached to its twitching toe is an identity bag giving details of its demise.

According to its tag it was run over over by a milk float last Thursday, near the Hangar Lane Giratory system in London.

The toy's innards and blood can be stuffed in and out of his body. A zip on each side contains the blood and guts.

Its eyes are goggling, tongue is lolling around and a tyre print runs across its back.

The toys' creators, Compost Communications, have styled themselves 'toy terrorists' and according to their website: 'We squash and burn and bludgeon and maim. But we're also toy fanatics like you. We love toys.'
Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

man finds a different job every week

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/29/fashion/29Work.html

I wonder how he files his taxes...
Old 11-30-2007, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
He is a man after my heart..............

Wonder if a 47 year old woman could pull that off? probably not
Old 11-30-2007, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wonder how he files his taxes...
He worked for free. No tax involved.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
BOSTON - The winner of a $1 million lottery scratch ticket may not be so lucky after all: He's a convicted bank robber who isn't supposed to gamble.
I'd wonder how someone could be such a huge idiot if I didn't know one personally. My friend's (now-ex) husband was involved in a car accident in his very early 20s and the woman involved won a big judgment against him. He had no money or property at the time but the judgment stayed open. Several years later the guy gets a scratch-off ticket at a convenience store, wins $1 million, and instead of thinking ahead, going home and giving it to my friend (then his fiancee) to turn in, he goes straight to the lottery office to claim it.

The woman was immediately awarded his million dollar prize. Idiot.