GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,258
1 members and 2,257 guests
No Members online

Old 04-23-2013, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

everyone is so helpful! thank you !!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-26-2013, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
I graduated from WVU in 2007 and I don't think things have drastically changed since I was there. Pledge classes are about 10 people bigger (I think Alpha Phi took 40 girls in Fall 2012) than when I rushed as a freshman in 2003, and quota was around 25 when I graduated.

My chapter received one rec in my 4 years there, and it was from an active at another chapter whose biological sister was rushing at WVU. I knew about recs from GC, but 90% of my chapter had no idea what it was and our advisor had to explain them.

I remember us pledging just one junior during my time there, and she ended up quitting the following semester. She did not make many friends in her pledge class, but I think it had more to do with her personality than her age/class standing. Most pledge classes are a pretty equal mix of freshmen and sophomores.

Feel free to PM me with any questions! You will love WVU, it was the best 4 years of my life and I still miss it every day. LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through recruitment last semester, and WVU Alpha Phi is correct. Recruitment is getting larger and larger every semester. The pledge class a semester before mine was about 25 girls, and my pledge class was 40 (every sorority but one had around 40 girls in the Fall). I did have a rec to a few different chapters when I went through, which I was later told helped me a lot. However, no other girls I spoke to had them, so I would not say they are necessary.

I also agree with what everyone else above me said. Go through rush and keep an open mind, but recruitment will be slightly harder on a junior than on a freshmen. Greek life at WVU is getting larger and larger every year, so if you show each house that you want to be an active, involved member that will definitely help you!!
Best of luck and remember to stay positive!

(On a side note, I do have an account here but I made a fake account because it would make me very easy to identify if I used my main account )
Old 06-19-2013, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningswiftly View Post
Hello!

I will be a junior transfer in Fall 2013 and was curious about sorority recruitment at West Virginia University. Is it super competitive? Are recommendations absolutely necessary?

I tried to look for threads specific to WVU but only found ones about fraternity recruitment. maybe I wasn't looking hard enough?
Thank You so much!

Any advice and tips will be super helpful and much appreciated

Yes, recruitment is pretty competitive. With only 8 sororities and 600+ girls going through, the biggest reason for dropping out of recruitment is girls not getting invited back by the house they want. With that being said, going through recruitment as a junior is not ideal but its definitely not a deal breaker! I know quite a few girls who transferred and pledged as juniors. If you have sophomore standing I would definitely go with sophomore when you sign up, but during recruitment if it comes up, you just say that you transferred so you have (X) amount of years left. It doesn't bother sororities that you are a junior, they are more interested in how many years you will be around and be an active member. One of my best friends rushed as a junior and is a great sister.

No, recommendations are not necessary. Most girls go through recruitment at WVU without recs. You're chances are still as good without a rec. However, they can definitely help you if you have one.

I'll be a senior in a sorority at WVU and my biggest advice to you is go through recruitment and let your personality shine through. Try not to feel nervous or intimidated, it can be intimidating meeting a bunch of strangers and trying to impress them. Just try to have normal conversations and have a good time. Also, try to stay open minded about all the houses and disregard any "rush rumors" you might hear that week. I can promise you any of the bad rumors you hear during rush are false. No houses on this campus haze and all of them are great and have really sweet girls in each.

Best of luck!