GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,246
1 members and 1,245 guests
No Members online

Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 AM

Where is Benetton????
Old 07-08-2014, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone in the Texas/Louisiana area remember Weiner's? I remember shopping there as a child. My kids think it's hilarious that I shopped at a store called Weiner's.

And for our younger greekchatters.....

Last edited by ADPiEE; 07-08-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I remember Weiner's!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Me too! My grandmother used to get the fabric for our Easter dresses there!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiEE View Post

And for our younger greekchatters.....

Change out the white tee shirt for a black or pink tee shirt in the short overalls and add black lace up Oxfords or black Doc Martens and that would have been a totally acceptable outfit for a fraternity party on a Thursday or Friday night. You had to turn it up a notch for your Saturday party.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Is it wrong that I still kind of want to look like the women in the Merry Go Round ad? Or at least have a flat stomach and long hair. Although I do have to admit that I was a Benetton girl. I would sweat my behind off, but I ALWAYS wore sweaters. Did not matter what the season was, either.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless you were down South, and we were still sporting Malia sundresses, Pappagallos, Izods, Polo, Tretorns and Topsiders ... And, of all things, painter's pants. And dressing up for the football games. And chintz. -- Laura Ashley, balloon-sleeved, Princess Diana over the top chintz. I still love the mall theme!

Last edited by pinksequins; 07-08-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I still love the mall theme!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:23 PM

Theme Party Week!

I forgot to mention that another girl on my and Molly's floor, Nancy, was also going through rush. She was a junior and was very poised and ladylike. I assumed that she would be concentrating on Ormond.

So off we headed to our theme parties - there were three scheduled the first night. Ormond was the first. They were one of the sororities that had a house - it actually had been a small dorm at one time (I think the modern day equivalent would be a theme house). This was another thing that made them sort of a big deal. We got to the rush party and they were doing a 50s theme. All the sisters were either dressed in 50s wear or to fit their part in the skit. The skit itself was very slick and polished with a song and everything - they had obviously rehearsed and rehearsed. After the skit we had refreshments and dispersed around the room. Do you remember the scene in Animal House where Pinto and Flounder keep getting stuck in the corner with Jugdish et al? That was EXACTLY how I felt at this party. No one was rude, but I just felt completely uncomfortable and I obviously wasn't on their priority list. If I would have been wearing multiple Swatches I would have been checking every single one of them constantly.

The party finally came to the end and Molly and I headed back to our dorm for a breather. Merry Go Round was next and obviously Molly wasn't going there either. She had LOVED Ormond - she spent the entire time talking to the dorm director's girlfriend who was a sister there. I was glad she had fun but I had a feeling even at this early point that we weren't going to end up as sisters.

The third party scheduled for the night was Susie's Casuals. I didn't know much about these girls except they seemed a little more fashion forward than most of the campus and had several members on the cheerleading squad. This party was held in a dorm rec room. The theme was cute and we made our own desserts. I had a really good time at this party. The girls seemed like they could be prim and proper if the occasion called for it, but they had a rock n' roll edge underneath. I liked them a lot.

There were no parties scheduled on Tuesday because these guys came to play at the annual campus concert and NO ONE was planning on missing it. They were AWESOME.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:41 PM

Wednesday there were two parties on the schedule.

The first one was County Seat. This was an interest group that was still looking to get picked up by a national sorority. It was held in one of the larger classrooms. I do not remember a damn thing about this party. I could see where being in a new group would be kind of neat but the girls didn't really make an impression on me.

The second party was Reunion. It was held in the room where campus weekend dances were usually held. This was a group that had recolonized the semester before. Now, for the back story on this one. My boyfriend was good friends with most of the "old" members of Reunion and he and I had spent a lot of time hanging out in their suite which happened to be in our dorm. I had been pledging a service group the previous spring and my plan had been to pledge Reunion first thing my sophomore year. In the interim, they recolonized. Part of me wanted to blow off this party to support my friends, but I realized that it wasn't the new girls' fault - it's not like they stole the charter out from under them. So I went to the party and ended up having a really good time. Their theme was cute and the girls I talked to seemed nice and very down to earth.

Molly also had an issue with Reunion. Her next door neighbor, whom she was extremely close to, had been a sister of the "old" chapter at our school several years earlier and wanted her to pledge. After Molly didn't get a bid from Merry Go Round, she went through Reunion's colonization rush. She was chosen to join the colony, but realized fairly quickly that it wasn't for her - she was just doing it to please her neighbor. To be fair there were quite a few girls that also dropped out of the colony - it was something that hadn't happened on our campus for a long time and no one knew what to expect.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:54 PM

Oh, a side note...

During the week, I remember being in the business building and seeing a really pretty girl wearing Foxmoor letters. She was talking to a member of the George Clooney fraternity. These guys were hands down the hottest guys on campus. Now, this kind of surprised me, because I had been hearing from everyone that the Foxmoor sisters only dated members of Christopher Atkins...they were cute enough guys, but too clean cut for me. This kind of made me look at Foxmoor in a new light.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:13 PM

Two more parties left on Thursday.

The first party was at Foxmoor. It was held in their house which was directly off campus. Their house was a largish family house which had been made over to accomodate 10-14 girls...it was cozy and welcoming and the complete opposite of Ormond. They had a cookout theme so we ate weiners lol. I am pretty sure I wore pleated capri jeans to this party. (They sound worse than they were, they were actually very cute.) They didn't really have a skit...I think we played word games or something. The pretty girl I'd seen in the business building with the Clooney came up to me and said "I saw you scoping out my letters the other day!" and we got to talking. She introduced me to her big who actually looked like her bio sister - they were both really cool and nice. I knew two sisters of this sorority through my boyfriend - Sue Ann and Natalie. I wasn't sure how they would react since my boyfriend wasn't altogether happy about my rushing, but they couldn't have been more welcoming. All in all I was really comfortable here and enjoyed myself a lot.

The second party of the night was with Ups & Downs. They also held it in the campus weekend dance room. My boyfriend's nickname for this group was "The Amazons" and while I did see a girl or two that could probably hold her own with Hulk Hogan, for the most part it was a really diverse mix of lovely women. Two of the girls in my freshman year dorm, Cindy and Kimberly, had pledged this group the year before and seeing what a great time they had was one of the things that made me want to go Greek. They both greeted me with open arms, Kimberly in particular. They had an around the world theme, the food was good, the favor we got was cute and useful and the skit was hilarious. It was obvious that they had an extremely close sisterhood and loved each other very much. I had a really, really good time here.

Weekend off!! (Thank God) We would be getting our invites to pref (if we got any) in our campus mail throughout the weekend.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:28 PM
GreekChat Member

George Clooney AND Christopher Atkins! And pleated capri jeans! Good stuff!
Old 07-08-2014, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl;2280203
There were no parties scheduled on Tuesday because [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl4unoqGiCI
these guys[/url] came to play at the annual campus concert and NO ONE was planning on missing it. They were AWESOME.
Yay, the Hooters! I saw them many times once I moved down here from Maine - they and Tommy Conwell were a regular part of my Saturday nights!

I'm LOLing at "Foxmoor" and "Merry Go Round"! I haven't thought about those places in years! Let me just fetch my Forenza sweater and matching socks, and my white high top Reeboks so I can fit in here. I still have my acid washed, dropped shoulder jean jacket, just in case, y'know, it ever comes back in style.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
Unless you were down South, and we were still sporting Malia sundresses, Pappagallos, Izods, Polo, Tretorns and Topsiders ... And, of all things, painter's pants. And dressing up for the football games. And chintz. -- Laura Ashley, balloon-sleeved, Princess Diana over the top chintz. I still love the mall theme!

I miss my Tretorns.