GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 300,142
Threads: 114,217
Posts: 2,151,504
Welcome to our newest member, aannatlitle232
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 06-26-2012, 12:43 AM
BamaGirlPNM BamaGirlPNM is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 45
Thank you! To say I'm excited is an understatement
  #47  
Old 07-31-2012, 05:01 PM
MaryPoppins MaryPoppins is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 1,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by CutiePie2000 View Post
Until the bid is physically in your hand, I personally think sharing one's ongoing recruitment is a bad idea. You never know who is reading the thread, and who has figured it out (or misunderstood something and you're now deemed to be "damaged goods"). But to each their own....
CutiePie2000 is right. We know all of you PNMs are excited, and We are excited for youand are eager to read your stories but only when it's the right time! We want to make sure you read all of this thread before you continue sharing/writing so you will be fully informed.

Best Wishes and Good Luck in recruitment!
__________________
Yesterday, today, and tomorrow, Kappa Alpha Theta exists to nurture each member throughout her college and alumna experience and to
offer a lifelong opportunity for social, intellectual, and moral growth as she meets the higher and broader demands of a mature life.
  #48  
Old 01-02-2014, 01:32 PM
BCPM BCPM is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2
I have not read through all the posts, and I am new here, I'm not going through rush, nor recruitment, and I've never been in a Sorority, but I'm a mom of a young lady who did a number of years ago and what to share from a mom's perspective of the growth I have witnessed in my daughter over the past 4 years.

Even before she went off to college she knew she wanted to "Rush" and be apart of something bigger than herself, and wanted to be in a Sorority, she even had in her 'mind' what Sororities she wanted to be a part.

She started her Freshman year during the summer, and had an opportunity to meet sisters of various houses, even many who were 'disaffiliated' during that time--based on those who had not disaffiliated' she made presumptions on those who had and what "House" they must belong to, based on these other young ladies.

Come Fall Semester she and her roommate 'rushed' and both had in their minds set on 'just what Sorority" they wanted to belong. As "Rush" week goes they were invited back to some and not others--the some they were invited back to wasn't always the one's they had in mind. In the end they were both invited back to one house, not their 'first, second or even third choice" and my daughter called home 'crying' to me that the houses she wanted 'didn't want her' and her roommate did the same with her mother. As Parents, we asked "Does it matter?" In the grand scheme of things, you wanted to be a part of this sisterhood, and you have met many young ladies that you do not even KNOW what house they belong to, and I think YOU will be very surprised to find out...it will be some of those who will be in the house you least expect. Do not prejudge them when you do not even know them, just as you do not like to be 'prejudged' when someone does not know you. So go, and at least check out this house and get to know these "Sisters as people, as individuals and as Sisters"

She joined that house, and found just what I had told her was true, that those women she 'presumed' were part of another house (based on their looks), were actually from the house she was invited to join, and these women have become her best friends, and she has learned not to judge a person based on looks, clothes, and hair styles.

Since being a member of this house she has spent a summer disaffiliated and others have done the same with her, assumed she was part of a certain house because of her 'looks, style and personality' and they too spent time crying to their mothers, that 'they thought these women were their friends, and how could they not invite them back to 'their house'. She had even told these young women during recruitment,

"Do not assume we belong to a 'certain house' because like me, you too will be surprised by the house we are apart of, and it may or may not be what you 'think'.
So if you get an invitation to any house, even if it's not your 'first, second, or third choice' give it a chance--because someone in that house see's something in you that others may have overlooked, and they see it and thus want you for their sister for life."

She will soon be graduating from college, and will miss her sisters greatly, not just those in her own house, but the sisters she has made over the years who belong to other houses as well, and she will also miss her brothers in the Fraternities. She has come to see that being Greek is not just about "your house being a family" but the entire Greek Community is Her extended FAMILY.


But on another note, Enjoy college, and go the events you can even if your not invited back, there are many groups you can join, that will also make your college years fun. And even if your not invited back you can still get to know them and be friends with them, friends make a family..not living in the 'same house".

Last edited by BCPM; 01-02-2014 at 01:40 PM.
  #49  
Old 01-03-2014, 09:30 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Georgia
Posts: 11,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPM View Post
I have not read through all the posts, and I am new here, I'm not going through rush, nor recruitment, and I've never been in a Sorority, but I'm a mom of a young lady who did a number of years ago and what to share from a mom's perspective of the growth I have witnessed in my daughter over the past 4 years.

Even before she went off to college she knew she wanted to "Rush" and be apart of something bigger than herself, and wanted to be in a Sorority, she even had in her 'mind' what Sororities she wanted to be a part.

She started her Freshman year during the summer, and had an opportunity to meet sisters of various houses, even many who were 'disaffiliated' during that time--based on those who had not disaffiliated' she made presumptions on those who had and what "House" they must belong to, based on these other young ladies.

Come Fall Semester she and her roommate 'rushed' and both had in their minds set on 'just what Sorority" they wanted to belong. As "Rush" week goes they were invited back to some and not others--the some they were invited back to wasn't always the one's they had in mind. In the end they were both invited back to one house, not their 'first, second or even third choice" and my daughter called home 'crying' to me that the houses she wanted 'didn't want her' and her roommate did the same with her mother. As Parents, we asked "Does it matter?" In the grand scheme of things, you wanted to be a part of this sisterhood, and you have met many young ladies that you do not even KNOW what house they belong to, and I think YOU will be very surprised to find out...it will be some of those who will be in the house you least expect. Do not prejudge them when you do not even know them, just as you do not like to be 'prejudged' when someone does not know you. So go, and at least check out this house and get to know these "Sisters as people, as individuals and as Sisters"

She joined that house, and found just what I had told her was true, that those women she 'presumed' were part of another house (based on their looks), were actually from the house she was invited to join, and these women have become her best friends, and she has learned not to judge a person based on looks, clothes, and hair styles.

Since being a member of this house she has spent a summer disaffiliated and others have done the same with her, assumed she was part of a certain house because of her 'looks, style and personality' and they too spent time crying to their mothers, that 'they thought these women were their friends, and how could they not invite them back to 'their house'. She had even told these young women during recruitment,

"Do not assume we belong to a 'certain house' because like me, you too will be surprised by the house we are apart of, and it may or may not be what you 'think'.
So if you get an invitation to any house, even if it's not your 'first, second, or third choice' give it a chance--because someone in that house see's something in you that others may have overlooked, and they see it and thus want you for their sister for life."

She will soon be graduating from college, and will miss her sisters greatly, not just those in her own house, but the sisters she has made over the years who belong to other houses as well, and she will also miss her brothers in the Fraternities. She has come to see that being Greek is not just about "your house being a family" but the entire Greek Community is Her extended FAMILY.


But on another note, Enjoy college, and go the events you can even if your not invited back, there are many groups you can join, that will also make your college years fun. And even if your not invited back you can still get to know them and be friends with them, friends make a family..not living in the 'same house".
I "hope" you don't "Mind" if we "doubt" this.
__________________
"Yo ho, yo ho, over the raging seas we go! Yo ho ho ho, wherever the four winds blow!
HEY!!!"
  #50  
Old 01-03-2014, 11:23 PM
AnchorAlumna AnchorAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old South
Posts: 2,711
Poorly expressed, hard to read, but I think the thought and experience is genuine.
__________________

  #51  
Old 06-25-2014, 08:43 PM
ASUADPi ASUADPi is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 6,353
For those who feel the need to tell a throwback recruitment story....

PLEASE FINISH IT!!!!!

We aren't stupid, you obviously joined a chapter, there is absolutely no need to drag it out.

[/end mini rant]
__________________
"Sue Sylvester. Dance on Air."
"Will Schuester, I hate you."
  #52  
Old 06-26-2014, 12:39 AM
AZTheta's Avatar
AZTheta AZTheta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 17 39' 3.312'' S 149 25' 33.7512'' W
Posts: 4,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post
For those who feel the need to tell a throwback recruitment story....

PLEASE FINISH IT!!!!!

We aren't stupid, you obviously joined a chapter, there is absolutely no need to drag it out.

[/end mini rant]

Just in case you missed the point:

Finish your story quickly, for the love of Mike.
  #53  
Old 06-20-2015, 08:06 PM
SECrushee SECrushee is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
I really like the idea of doing my recruitment story live, but do you think it would somehow hurt rush experience? I don't see how anyone would figure out who I am just based off my experiences but my school would be extremely obvious. I think it'd be nice to be surrounded by an online greek community and hear advice from women other than my mother, who wasn't greek, (in fact she has a poor viewpoint on rush completely) and just wouldn't understand.
__________________
Just a PNM looking for her home away from home.
  #54  
Old 06-20-2015, 08:34 PM
DaffyKD DaffyKD is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: When you find me, please let me know
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECrushee View Post
I really like the idea of doing my recruitment story live, but do you think it would somehow hurt rush experience? I don't see how anyone would figure out who I am just based off my experiences but my school would be extremely obvious. I think it'd be nice to be surrounded by an online greek community and hear advice from women other than my mother, who wasn't greek, (in fact she has a poor viewpoint on rush completely) and just wouldn't understand.
Have you ever heard the saying, "Don't assume, it makes an ass of you and me?" Don't assume no one knows who you are on this board. Many members are sleuths and there are people who can and will out you. You can tell us that you were at ABC house and you felt very awkward there because the chapter member did this or that. "While there, we talked about my sports prowess and we both think Koala Bears are the greatest things since sliced bread." The member you mentioned remembers that conversation and tell her sisters you felt awkward for whatever reason. Not only did she tell her ABC sisters, but her biological sister belongs to WXY and that now she knows what you said and can relate the story to her sisters. Not only will the sisters possibly be offended by what you wrote and drop you, but follow along online and see what else you say about chapters. DON'T HURT YOUR CHANCES JUST BECAUSE YOU WANT TO SHARE YOUR STORY WITH A BUNCH OF STRANGERS!!!

DaffyKD
__________________
KD

Last edited by DaffyKD; 06-21-2015 at 01:39 AM.
  #55  
Old 06-20-2015, 09:44 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 14,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECrushee View Post
I really like the idea of doing my recruitment story live, but do you think it would somehow hurt rush experience? I don't see how anyone would figure out who I am just based off my experiences but my school would be extremely obvious. I think it'd be nice to be surrounded by an online greek community and hear advice from women other than my mother, who wasn't greek, (in fact she has a poor viewpoint on rush completely) and just wouldn't understand.
We L.O.V.E. to read rush stories, BUT more than that we want you safe through the rush process. Certainly ask general questions that might crop up during recruitment, first to your recruitment counselor, and then to us if you still have doubts. Journal your experience during rush and then share it with us afterwards. As DaffyKD previously stated, PNMs have derailed their recruitments by posting live and being found out. Just because a PNM only posts positive or neutral comments doesn't mean that it might not bite her. She might post that she loves ABC and had the best conversation there with a sister who is the student body president, cheerleader, Miss SEC, etc., and it is ABC or nothing for her. In other words, you might think that what you are posting live is completely anonymous and safe, but alumnae and sorority members of ALL sororities at that campus might know upon reading her statement who she is. All the other sororities drop her upon reading that statement and she is left with one choice only- ABC, who decides they like Laura Legacy better and drop the original poster instead. But hey, if you want to post real time we won't stop you.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.

Last edited by FSUZeta; 06-20-2015 at 09:47 PM.
  #56  
Old 06-20-2015, 11:08 PM
ladybug12 ladybug12 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 471
We all love to read recruitment stories, but DaffyKD and FSUZeta have offered great advice. Journal your experience and post after Bid Day.
But please give us some type of closure on your recruitment experience, even if a brief "I am so happy" or "It didn't work out for me". Posters who give elaborate descriptions of the chapters and their opinions in multiple posts and then just leave us hanging really irritates me! And yes, I know that we GCers are not "owed" anything by someone who starts a thread, but my personal opinion is that it is good manners to finish something you started.
  #57  
Old 06-20-2015, 11:15 PM
Sciencewoman's Avatar
Sciencewoman Sciencewoman is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,812
I'm cautious about what I post...and I'm looooong past recruitment! I don't post privileged information, I try very hard to be respectful, and I'm always conscious of who may be lurking who knows who I am (I'm talking international officers in my Sorority). There are a few sisters here whom I've identified and I suspect the reverse is true.

Please come back and post your story after recruitment!!
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 06-20-2015 at 11:17 PM.
  #58  
Old 06-20-2015, 11:23 PM
DeltaBetaBaby DeltaBetaBaby is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: ILL-INI
Posts: 7,176
Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
And if you do have questions throughout the process, you can give ask them in a general manner, but for the most part, you can do a search, because they've all been asked before.
  #59  
Old 08-23-2015, 05:05 PM
Cheerio Cheerio is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: nowhere near snowfall
Posts: 2,325
bumping
  #60  
Old 08-27-2015, 02:01 PM
ruellesmith ruellesmith is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 6
Amazing recruitment story. I hope mine is not too much embarrassing so I can share it. Haha. But it's too much that I'd rather keep it for my self.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My recruitment story to get everyone excited about fall recruitment! mtcgirl Recruitment Stories 4 07-05-2011 04:30 PM
A New Recruitment Story mets86 Recruitment Stories 5 01-02-2010 10:52 PM
My Recruitment Story Happy120 Recruitment Stories 4 07-20-2007 10:17 PM
Recruitment Story with a Twist-The Advisors Side of the Story jesidz Recruitment Stories 37 09-23-2006 11:29 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.