GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,425
3 members and 2,422 guests
asamuelchvso931, oncegreek

Old 09-03-2008, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Any help would be appreciated!

Last year (my freshamn year) I did not rush becuase I needed to go home the first weekend of rush. Later on thinking about it, college in general was so new to me, that having to think about which house to pledge before I knew anything about them and their activities throughout the year, seemed overwhelming. Throughout my freshman year, I found a house that seemed like a great house to be a part of. Later I realized that 5 of my closest friends here at college are in that house as well. This year, those girls are all living in the house and they kept trying to convince me to rush. Since I have already been inside their house this year, that could cause them lots of trouble and fines so I can't really rush. Also I want to just live with those girls our junior and senior years in a house off campus together. Is there any way in the greek system that allows me to try to suicide rush for that house and also is there a way to get out of living in the house my junior year (i'm pretty sure everyone in the greek system has to live in house for at least a year) so that I can move in with my 5 friends of campus? Thanks for any help given!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaCurious1 View Post
Last year (my freshamn year) I did not rush becuase I needed to go home the first weekend of rush. Later on thinking about it, college in general was so new to me, that having to think about which house to pledge before I knew anything about them and their activities throughout the year, seemed overwhelming. Throughout my freshman year, I found a house that seemed like a great house to be a part of. Later I realized that 5 of my closest friends here at college are in that house as well. This year, those girls are all living in the house and they kept trying to convince me to rush. Since I have already been inside their house this year, that could cause them lots of trouble and fines so I can't really rush. Also I want to just live with those girls our junior and senior years in a house off campus together. Is there any way in the greek system that allows me to try to suicide rush for that house and also is there a way to get out of living in the house my junior year (i'm pretty sure everyone in the greek system has to live in house for at least a year) so that I can move in with my 5 friends of campus? Thanks for any help given!
How's about you ask your friends since they're your "closest friends"? I assume they'd be the best resource.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 PM

If you go through recruitment, there is no guarantee that you will get a bid from their sorority as the process is a bit complicated.

Also, there's no real way we can tell you if a particular sorority is going to allow you to NOT live in their house (assuming you got a bid there). Every sorority has its own rules about living in.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:44 AM
GreekChat Member

So you just want to be in a sorority so you can live with your friends next year??!!
Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 AM

If you're already trying to "get out of" living in the house your junior year, I don't think you would be a very good member. Don't bother rushing.

Your friends are allowed to live with you (out of the house) even if you're not a member, you know.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If you're already trying to "get out of" living in the house your junior year, I don't think you would be a very good member. Don't bother rushing.

Your friends are allowed to live with you (out of the house) even if you're not a member, you know.

Ditto. Sounds to me like you're rushing for ALL of the wrong reasons. If I were you, I wouldn't even waste my time-- much less the time of the sororities who you've prematurely decided you don't want to join.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 09-04-2008, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Throughout my freshman year, I found a house that seemed like a great house to be a part of. Later I realized that 5 of my closest friends here at college are in that house as well. This year, those girls are all living in the house and they kept trying to convince me to rush. Since I have already been inside their house this year, that could cause them lots of trouble and fines so I can't really rush.
While it's true that campuses will have varying "contact rules" between PNMs and members, you ARE friends with these members. Check the rules regarding "normal friendly contact" at your campus. Either way, this does not prevent you from going through recruitment.
Quote:
Also I want to just live with those girls our junior and senior years in a house off campus together. Is there any way in the Greek system that allows me to try to suicide rush for that house and also is there a way to get out of living in the house my junior year (i'm pretty sure everyone in the Greek system has to live in house for at least a year) so that I can move in with my 5 friends off campus? Thanks for any help given!
There are two ways to join a sorority, or maybe just one for this particular chapter. Sign up for formal recruitment, and see what happens. If you are invited to their chapter for preference, it is your prerogative to suicide if you wish, but that by no means guarantees you a bid.

If this chapter does not make quota and/or is below campus total after formal recruitment, they may participate in informal recruitment, along with any other chapters in the same situation. Should the chapter be in this situation, you can choose to only attend their parties/onlyexpress interest in this chapter. However, this will not be an option if this chapter makes quota and is at or above total after formal recruitment.

Every chapter will have their own live-in policies. Often, a corporation board won't care WHO is living in as long as the house is full. Generally, if the house isn't "voluntarily" full, the "responsibility" to live in would lie with the newest members, and any excuses to live out would probably be on a case-by-case basis. "I want to live off campus with my 5 friends" wouldn't be a legitimate reason to not live in the house for most corporation boards.