GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,499
0 members and 2,499 guests
No Members online

Old 04-05-2007, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Confused about pledging in the Divine Nine

I am a male student at a HBCU that has 7 of the Divine Nine. Each org is active on and off campus. Just watching the fun and excitement greeks have during the experience is what makes we wanna join but thats not the only reason why. Being the only one in my immediate family to attend college i also want to be able to say i done something. I would go undergrad to be able to enjoy the experience of pledging undergrad but my problem is that i am rolling into finishing my undergrad and some situations arose to where the frat org i am interested in is currently on suspension so really i have no choice unless i add one more semester to my undergrad. Its not the fact that i want to just be a greek, its 1. i want to be involved on campus some how 2. Why not go greek if you join an org on campus, not just for the entertainment but for experience 3. Admist of all the other situations that have been happening with BGLOs(hazing, fights, etc), they are involved wether it be on campus or in the community and being apart of something like that would, well should, make a person want to join that organization. But then the downfall is that hazing s**t doesn't fly too much with me like when i played sports in high school i mean we picked with the freshman, who doesn't, but i aint about to beat the hell out of them for no reason thats stupid. I feel the same way about pledging, if i were to be in that situation and some guy wants to hit me we can square off and box because i refuse to be beat by some other man other than GOD himself and violence isn't in his reputation. So really what i am saying that is the experience worth the pain of me having to pay all that money(i'm a business major don't ask) to wonder if my boxing skills are up to par? If that's the reason i'll try to go Pro-Am boxing. Does it sound like i want to be in it for the right reasons?

Any and all Greeks are welcome to respond because your suggestion are appreciated
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-05-2007, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
dood. i have no idea what you is talking about.. your talkin greek.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to banditone
(hehe. get it - he's talking "greek"... nevermind)
Old 04-05-2007, 11:55 AM

I think you should go with the Pro-Am boxing.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think you should go with the Pro-Am boxing.
I concur.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadXG View Post
i refuse to be beat by some other man other than GOD himself and violence isn't in his reputation.
Read the Old Testament.

p a w e a since 1899
Old 04-08-2007, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am a male student at a HBCU that has 7 of the Divine Nine. Each org is active on and off campus. Just watching the fun and excitement greeks have during the experience is what makes we wanna join but thats not the only reason why. Being the only one in my immediate family to attend college i also want to be able to say i done something. I would go undergrad to be able to enjoy the experience of pledging undergrad but my problem is that i am rolling into finishing my undergrad and some situations arose to where the frat org i am interested in is currently on suspension so really i have no choice unless i add one more semester to my undergrad. Its not the fact that i want to just be a greek, its 1. i want to be involved on campus some how 2. Why not go greek if you join an org on campus, not just for the entertainment but for experience 3. Admist of all the other situations that have been happening with BGLOs(hazing, fights, etc), they are involved wether it be on campus or in the community and being apart of something like that would, well should, make a person want to join that organization. But then the downfall is that hazing s**t doesn't fly too much with me like when i played sports in high school i mean we picked with the freshman, who doesn't, but i aint about to beat the hell out of them for no reason thats stupid. I feel the same way about pledging, if i were to be in that situation and some guy wants to hit me we can square off and box because i refuse to be beat by some other man other than GOD himself and violence isn't in his reputation. So really what i am saying that is the experience worth the pain of me having to pay all that money(i'm a business major don't ask) to wonder if my boxing skills are up to par? If that's the reason i'll try to go Pro-Am boxing. Does it sound like i want to be in it for the right reasons?

Any and all Greeks are welcome to respond because your suggestion are appreciated
Forcus on your academics first. If the organization is suspended, there's nothing you can do.

And believe me, you do NOT want to be one of those people that extends their college careers for the "chance" to pledge. Those people get no respect, either.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Being involved on campus is a good enough reason to join a fraternity. But what hails over all reasons, is the friends you will make and the experience you will have. Certainly choose a house that will fit you. I'm sure out of seven, there is one that feels the same way you do about pledging and hazing. If not, I'm sure there are many national fraternities who might be interested in helping you start a chapter at your school that adheres to a strict no-hazing policy. Either way you go about it, going Greek will be the best decision you will ever make.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Senruset.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
Quote:

Clearly you're not an English major.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scones View Post
Being involved on campus is a good enough reason to join a fraternity. But what hails over all reasons, is the friends you will make and the experience you will have. Certainly choose a house that will fit you. I'm sure out of seven, there is one that feels the same way you do about pledging and hazing. If not, I'm sure there are many national fraternities who might be interested in helping you start a chapter at your school that adheres to a strict no-hazing policy. Either way you go about it, going Greek will be the best decision you will ever make.
This is actually not good advice in this particular situation. He has already made up his mind which organization he wants to pledge and that option is not available to him. In NPHC orgs we do NOT advise people to just pledge whatever else is available, as we have alumni/ae and graduate chapters.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

yo, aint nothin wrong wit coming in thru Grad chapter. I did, and there are a number of other NPHC members on here that did. and becoming a member of the org you have in mind is more than just being involved on campus, but in the surrounding community also. and if you come in thru grad chapter, you can still support that grad chapter's undergraduate chapter(s) events as well. I do that with the 4 undergrad chapters my chapter sponsors.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNYC2 View Post
yo, aint nothin wrong wit coming in thru Grad chapter. I did, and there are a number of other NPHC members on here that did. and becoming a member of the org you have in mind is more than just being involved on campus, but in the surrounding community also. and if you come in thru grad chapter, you can still support that grad chapter's undergraduate chapter(s) events as well. I do that with the 4 undergrad chapters my chapter sponsors.
That is so true! I am an undergraduate and the graduate chapter that is over my chapter actually supervises 5 chapters.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Senusret I also.

You mentioned joining a fraternity as a means of being involved on campus. Are there NO OTHER clubs/activities on campus that are active, notable and serving? And why did you waiting until your senior year to become involved anyway? The implied lack of involvement on campus isn't something we typically look for in someone wanting to join.

Lastly, as one who holds a degree in business, I suggest you sharpen your communications skills. It's very difficult to close any type of business deal if one is unable to clearly and efficiently make one's point.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Very good advice but, I also have to agree with the latter.If YOU want to be more apart of the campus life on your yard or the community surrounding it then YOU need to go out there and find a cause that suits YOU and YOUR beliefs.Like the lady from DST advised YOU to do.Because if YOU have it in your heart to do something then act like nike's old slogan.....JUST DO IT!!!!because YOU dont need to belong to make a change.

provb.3:13-14