GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,207
3 members and 2,204 guests
John, Xidelt

Old 12-05-2010, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Problem

Disregard

Last edited by osubuckeye; 12-05-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-05-2010, 06:19 PM

Ask your national for help. They shouldn't blow in, pick the colonizers and not do anything. They obviously either picked some bad apples or didn't school you guys enough about how not to do so.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

agree with 33girl. you should be getting MAJOR support from your national org. and ideally should have local alumni support at all your events and meetings.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by osubuckeye; 12-05-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Dude, erase your identifying information. Everyone can figure out who your fraternity is, and airing dirty laundry is a no-no.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Done, shouldn't have done that I realized afterwards it was easy to identify, my bad.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

You guys really need to get your nationals to step back in. They may seem unresponsive, but it's up to you to make sure that they do step in. It's your colony, and you will play a major role in its success or failure.

Few general tips though:

- You need to change your attitude. Based on what you posted, you're viewing it through the lens that your colony is failing and that you're pretty much ready to give up. Change the lens and start figuring out how to be successful. That way, you'll be coming up with actual ideas that propel you towards success instead of just slowing down an "inevitable" failure.

- Figure out what everybody wants and diplomatically work towards achieving all those goals. This is difficult -- I suggest at least a 48hr retreat for this. A change of environment can open up real ideas and allow people to focus on the task at hand. The length of time is there to ensure that people are relaxed enough to be effective in a discussion-based retreat.

- Build goals, set deadlines, assign them to individuals (for accountability), and achieve them. For example, you mentioned that one of your issues was lack of traditions and rituals. To resolve that, you generate traditions and rituals. Maybe have everyone try to do something fun/interesting by the end of the semester and make whatever worked well into a tradition.

I'm actually a founding father of a fraternity on my campus, and throughout the two years, we've had our ups and downs. By following those things described, my fraternity was able to dig itself out of rough spots and emerge stronger than ever. Problems will come up, but they won't be lingering issues if you attack them successfully.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye View Post
Hey guys I have a huge dilemma right now and I was wondering if you all could give me some insight. I'm a part of a colony and we are slowly falling apart. We have decent alumni backing, however, we had some issues to overcome. Moral is really low right now, I've tried my best with what little time i've been in a position of power, but our chapter meetings always end up in everyone yelling at each other. We have a complete lack of organization, and the requirements for us to charter are rediculous since the average size of fraternities on campus is large. Trying to pledge a large amount people and get them to stay when you have no traditions or rituals is next to impossible. But this is besides the point, I'm at a point where I'm thinking of breaking ties and rushing in an established fraternity on campus. I wanted to be a founding father but the tasks we have to do are daunting. I am willing to stick through another quarter, but I'm going to weigh other options. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for me I've made great friends at this organization and I don't want to lose that, but I don't want to waste my four short years here. Thanks in advance.
P_Dity??

Θ Φ Α

Old 12-05-2010, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Agree with all of those who say involve your HQ; also get the local alums involved. Depending on why your fraternity left campus may present issues on whether alums want to be involved, could be a problem. As for "powerhouse" fraternities at TheOSU...even the mighty fall. Some of the largest, and perceived to be strongest, chapters, have lost their charter since I was there in the 80s (hazing, alcohol violations, etc). Many have returned; some strong, and some struggling.

One thing you will need to keep in mind, two fraternities are recolonizing very soon so you are competing for the next "new thing". I believe Phi Tau still has their house, which is in prime real estate territory, and one of their alums works for the university and is very active on campus (he is the AEPhi faculty advisor). Even though ZBT lost their house (albeit the crest is still in the masonry), they have a lot of alumnae in the Columbus area.

I'm not sure what kind of numbers have been required of your chapter. As you know, fraternities range from 100+ to less than 10 on campus and there is everything in between.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye View Post
Done, shouldn't have done that I realized afterwards it was easy to identify, my bad.
Frankly, if it were me, I'd completely delete all posts. Even with specific information erased, your user name identifies your school -- a really bad idea when asking for this kind of advice -- so I bet it isn't hard for people there to fit all the rest together.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your help guys, I'll take everything into consideration you said. I'll remove my posts. Thanks again.