GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,355
1 members and 1,354 guests
bapitytts7552

Old 03-11-2013, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm so frustrated dealing with people who only see numbers and are only concerned with how the numbers can increase, and don't really question WHY the numbers are what they are or what they actually mean.
I'm frustrated with people who REFUSE to see numbers and NOT concerned with them increasing.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 AM

Hospitals suck. Even good hospitals suck.

My mother was to be discharged from the hospital today. My father, my husband, and I drove over in Dad's car and arrived about 11am. Our understanding was that she was to get her discharge papers, a few prescriptions, and a walker, and then someone would take her by wheelchair to the exit and help her into the car. All of this should have taken an hour, tops. Right?

Wrong.

You need a prescription for a walker. So a woman came in and asked my mother for her height and weight, went away, came back, and said the prescription was in and the walker should arrive within 2 hours.

Mum refused lunch because she expected to be gone by lunchtime. (She doesn't eat much anyway. ) Meantime, DH and I stepped out and went to the cafe for a snack. Just a snack, even though it was lunchtime and we could (and in retrospect should) have had a full meal.

2 hours go by - no walker. So my father follows up with the charge nurse. The prescription never went in! He asked the nurse to follow up. Then he pulled out his cell phone and called the other woman's number and got her voicemail (she's on call and he gets sent to voicemail?! ) and barked at her about the walker.

Another 2 hours go by. I stepped out to stretch my legs and get some water, and I ran into the nurse. She asked me if the walker had been delivered yet. I said no. She said, "I just heard from them. It's been delivered now and she should get it any minute." I thanked her while thinking, "Yeah, right..."

About 15 minutes later, the walker finally did arrive. At that point, I helped Mum get dressed, a nurse gave her a final pulse/BP/SpO2 check, Dad fetched the car, and two nurses and I wheeled her out and helped her into the car.

Time of discharge: 4pm. Yes, we were there for FIVE FRICKIN' HOURS.

By this time, I had a hunger headache so bad that it felt like someone had driven a railroad spike through my skull, and DH was in no better shape ... and we still had to drive back home (a 1hr drive). We stopped at a McDonald's before getting on the highway, and I have never seen my husband (or anyone!) eat a crappy burger so fast.

And this was at a better hospital. When my mother was first hospitalized, it was at a hospital that was closer to where my parents live, but it was a shithole (pardon my French). For example, it's a good idea to ring the call button immediately AFTER you've been to the bathroom, because, by the time a nurse bothers to show up to answer the call, you will actually need to pee again.

Hospitals suck.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I felt like a kid in a candy store today. After church I went to get my car out of storage at "Auto Europe" where it's been stored since September. As soon as they brought it out ...... I.... ..it looked soooweeeeeeet!! And today was a perfect day to drive it home, right into my garage.
Romans 1:16
Old 03-11-2013, 04:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Hospitals suck. Even good hospitals suck.
I'm sorry that happened to your mom. I concur. Hospitals suck. I have worked in hospitals for years and most staff are super nice and knowledgeable, totally on top of things but boy, I've got some stories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
I felt like a kid in a candy store today. After church I went to get my car out of storage at "Auto Europe" where it's been stored since September. As soon as they brought it out ...... I.... ..it looked soooweeeeeeet!! And today was a perfect day to drive it home, right into my garage.
You put your car in storage? Okay...the non-Midwesterner's gotta hear this...your garage isn't good enough because.... Is it the weather or is your car obsession just that bad?

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 AM
GreekChat Member

We got bad news about our kitty Gabrielle yesterday. She has liver cancer (which we already knew) and she doesn't have much longer. She's 16 and absolutely precious. She was a feral who adopted us-- 13 years ago. Her little abdomen is full of fluid, so the weight we had thought we had gained was nothing but fluid. And to make things worse-- when we were checking out, my husband put her kennel next to him on the floor. An asshat walked by and tripped over her (although there was plenty of room to walk around her). Not a big deal, but when his wife pointed out that there was a cat in it, he said "well who puts shit like that there?" I not so politely pointed out that the "shit" he referred to was a very old, very sick cat. He didn't even apologize. My husband who rarely gets upset and told him "You don't have to be an asshole." He still didn't apologize. He's so lucky I was too upset to punch him in his face. We know our vets and the staff there really well, and you could tell the vet tech was mortified.

I actually felt really bad for the asshat's dog. They were bringing him in for joint pain, and he was clearly way overweight. He was an old yellow lab, and to be honest, he was probably a good 20-30 lbs over what he should have been-- stupid asshole needs to get the dog on a diet and he would feel a LOT better. UGH. I hate seeing irresponsible pet owners.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel like such a lurker lately on this forum.

Work has taken over my life, and I'm overwhelmed. I was promoted in January and I'm doing really well in my position & my results, but I'm just so tired and over it at the moment. I've got constant heartburn and I need a vacation. 2 months in, I don't think that's a good sign....
Old 03-11-2013, 01:23 PM

Hope your kitty pulls through, summer.

The asshat is lucky I wasn't there - I would have clocked him on your behalf. I feel sorry for his dog. A pet is a member of the family and deserves to be treated as such.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry to hear about your kitty, summer.

The joint pain/overweight dog thing is a tough battle to overcome. I know my Sammigirl gained a lot of weight when her joints were getting stiff (about 30 pounds). I had her on weight control food and tried to cut it back as much as possible but she wasn't really exercising at all because she was hurting. It becomes a vicious cycle. Admittedly, I didn't realize how many crumbs she was eating off the floor until she was gone. Seriously, I didn't know we dropped that much food until I was having to sweep every day!
Old 03-11-2013, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Sorry to hear about your kitty, summer.

The joint pain/overweight dog thing is a tough battle to overcome. I know my Sammigirl gained a lot of weight when her joints were getting stiff (about 30 pounds). I had her on weight control food and tried to cut it back as much as possible but she wasn't really exercising at all because she was hurting. It becomes a vicious cycle. Admittedly, I didn't realize how many crumbs she was eating off the floor until she was gone. Seriously, I didn't know we dropped that much food until I was having to sweep every day!
You are right about that... it is a cycle, and it's hard to break out of, especially if you are using steroids to try to control the pain. It's just so hard on their joints when they get bigger-- just like people! And this was to the point it seemed very cruel. Like when we had a 100 lbs. basset hound come into our rescue. It took a lot of work to get her weight off, but it's worth it to them.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Charlie had a fun evening. I took him to a friend's house to have some dog company for a while tonight. They played and played. He's going to sleep really good tonight!
Old 03-11-2013, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I swear stats is killing me. How much statistical knowledge can I cram into my memory before next Monday?
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthMode View Post
You put your car in storage? Okay...the non-Midwesterner's gotta hear this...your garage isn't good enough because.... Is it the weather or is your car obsession just that bad?
LOL, no, my garage is perfectly fine. But, I don't have the knowledge, time or equipment to store it properly, so I pay Auto Europe to store it for me. I bought it new in 2004 as a 2005 model, and it's never seen a winter. I only drive it in the spring/summer, weekends mostly.

Yes, the weather is part of the reason, but the other reason I store it is because it was influenced by the 1964 S600, which is now a desired Classic to car enthusiasts. I've always liked the S600 when I was in high school, and it was a car I always thought (at the time) should be recreated. It was recreated as the S2000 which is why I bought it, and why I store it in the winter. I plan on keeping it a very long time.

I wouldn't really call it a "car obsession". I consider my love of cars and auto design as more of a passion.

S600

S2000
Romans 1:16
Old 03-11-2013, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so stressed out over my two exams tomorrow. I'm ready for tomorrow to be over!

I can't wait until Sunday's episode of the Walking Dead. I've gotten so addicted to this show.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm glad you like the Walking Dead, but I would like to remind you that you may not have Darryl. He is my boyfriend. Oh, and so is Rick.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wouldn't really call it a "car obsession". I consider my love of cars and auto design as more of a passion.

I don't believe you. Not after what I just read.
Quote:
Yes, the weather is part of the reason, but the other reason I store it is because werd beïnvloed door de 1964 S600, die nu een gewenste Classic autoliefhebbers. Ik heb altijd graag de S600, toen ik op de middelbare school, en het was een auto Ik dacht altijd dat (op dat moment) moet worden opnieuw gemaakt. Het werd opnieuw als de S2000, die is de reden waarom ik hem kocht, en waarom ik het op te slaan in de winter. I plan on keeping it a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconmagnolia View Post
I'm so stressed out over my two exams tomorrow. I'm ready for tomorrow to be over!
DUDE. I'm ready for March to be over. I don't understand how I've been AHEAD on all my assignments all quarter and STILL have this much to do! By "this much," I mean 4 papers (roughly 35 pages total), 2 take home finals, a class presentation, and a video demonstration which will be about 30-45 minutes long. In the next 10 effing days. This does not include 2 papers and a PowerPoint presentation that I've already completed but aren't due yet.

Grad school. Game face required.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.