GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,665
1 members and 2,664 guests
TLLK
Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

AOII and members from other schools

* Moved to AOII Forum

Last edited by NCGirl09; 04-18-2007 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Moved
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-17-2007, 12:59 AM

I'm not an AOII, but I know that with all NPCs, rituals and secrets are supposed to be privy to initiated members only. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in your membership, you took a vow to keep AOII's secrets. I would stick to it.

I have friends that I'd like to join my sorority that go to different schools, but that doesn't mean I can share my ritual with them. They totally respect that. I invite them to come up for things like Friends and Family day so they can hang out.

I understand that no one can FORCE you keep those secrets, but I don't think you'd be keeping your promise to your sorority by sharing their ritual and secrets with someone who is not a sister.

I suggest you visit the AOII forum on this site and ask your question and see what your sisters think. You'll get more AOII feedback there: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 04-17-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh no, I totally know that and have kept them secret. I really just want her to be initiated so she really is one of my sisters, but don't know if that is possible as she doesn't go to a school with an AOII chapter. I had heard AKA initiated women after graduation and from other schools, I don't know if it's true, but was hoping that other sororities did the samee.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I would check with AOII headquarters about alumnae initiation.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGirl09 View Post
Hi.
This may be kind of a strange question. Anyway, I have a very close female friend who goes to one of the military academies, where they don't have greek life, but I feel she really represents the AOII ideals as well as any of the members of my chapter. Is there any way that I could get her involved in any level as a member of AOII?
Hi! Nice to see another AOII sister on GC. Make sure you swing over to our forum and introduce yourself!

AOII has done alumna initiation virtually since our Founding in 1897. Feel free to discuss this with your chapter adviser for more information.

Quote:
I know that if you marry a man, he can know the secrets in some degree and not sure if this is true as well for friends of an organization. Thanks so much!
The only people entitled to know any sorority or fraternity secrets are those who are initiated members of said organization. Non-initiated husbands, wives, friends, family members, etc. should never be given ritual information. Yes, I know that guys won't be in sororities and girls won't be in (male) fraternities, but if you're not an initiated member it's not your business!

Last edited by AOIIalum; 04-17-2007 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Correct spelling is fundamental!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter initiated two adult women when I was in college (a million years ago) - but they both had strong ties with the chapter and were involved with them - one via a real sister and the other through one of the members - but they were REALLY involved and we all knew them really well.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I had heard AKA initiated women after graduation and from other schools, I don't know if it's true, but was hoping that other sororities did the same.
Just to let you know - graduate membership and initiation in NPHC groups (like AKA) is VERY different from AI in NPC groups (like AOII).
Old 04-17-2007, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh no, I totally know that and have kept them secret. I really just want her to be initiated so she really is one of my sisters, but don't know if that is possible as she doesn't go to a school with an AOII chapter. I had heard AKA initiated women after graduation and from other schools, I don't know if it's true, but was hoping that other sororities did the samee.
I just want to say that it's refreshing to see someone posting about how they, a sister, know someone they would love to share their sisterhood with, rather than the other way around. All too often there is a lot of unsolicited seeking on this board, so this is nice. Wander over to the AOII forum and chat with your sisters there

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 04-17-2007, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
if you marry a man, he can know the secrets in some degree
Is this something that is an Alpha Omicron Pi thing? I know my man would love to hear my Delta Gamma secrets, but I vowed never to share them with anyone!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
Is this something that is an Alpha Omicron Pi thing? I know my man would love to hear my Delta Gamma secrets, but I vowed never to share them with anyone!
No it's not an AOII thing, AOII Alum said it above that you don't share with anyone.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I was told that if a guy lavallieres you, you can know his frat secrets and vice versa. This was just from another member of my pledge class, so clearly not the best source. But thanks for all the input, I'll take it over to the AOII thread!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

i was lavaliered, and my boyfriend did not share any of his fraternity's secrets with me, nor did i expect him to. my husband is a member of a fraternity and neither of us has ever shared any greek secrets with the other. you need to straighten your friend out.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
you need to straighten your friend out.
Or just follow your new member education program, since I'm guessing this is covered. Or MAYBE even the oath that was taken during initiation.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

My ex-husband was president of a colony of Sigma Chi when they got their charter. We were married at the time, and all the ritual stuff was to be stored at our house. Some of the brothers were concerned I would try to learn their secrets - I told them not to worry. I had my own ritual, and had no interest in trying to learn another GLOs. It wouldn't mean anything to me, at least not like it did to them, so why bother?
And I would never reveal any ritual or secrets to a non-Gamma Phi simply because I said I wouldn't. My word is my bond!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
Is he really that interested? My husband could care less.
Closed Thread