GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 766
0 members and 766 guests
No Members online

Old 08-18-2013, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Be prepared for any and all outcomes, considering everything that you've been told in this thread. If you honestly can't handle disappointment, then do not go through recruitment, because given your facts, that's a possibility. So far you're asking to know the outcome of the race before you place your bet, and that's not how recruitment works. Actually, that's not how LIFE works.

Typically, colonizing or new chapters seek the strongest possible candidates for membership. And there are no givens or universals in recruitment. What's true for one chapter at one campus is just that - one chapter at one campus.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 08-18-2013, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Surprised no one asked so I will. What does your GPA look like right now?
Old 08-18-2013, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthYear View Post
That's not bad but, you may also want to consider that some organizations on your campus may want you to have a higher GPA. It's a decent GPA, so don't get me wrong but, you are also junior standing. You need to go in with an open mind and to say you wouldn't just take any sorority because you aren't desperate actually makes you come off as rude and entitled. There are incredible women in EVERY one of those chapters and you should be thrilled, especially given your standing, to receive a bid from any of them. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't feel as if saying I wouldn't accept just any sorority is rude or entitled. I have nothing against any sorority and am open to all of them. So I will go into each one open minded and very willing. But if I feel as if I don't fit into a certain group of girls, I won't join just to be a member of a sorority. Joining means being a part of a special group. If I won't feel comfortable with a group, I won't enjoy being a part. I mean, you chose your sorority based on how you felt with the members and in the group, right?
Yes but, in an entire chapter if you can't find SOMEONE to get along with then the problem isn't the chapter. Right? By going in and saying it that way, you are making it sound as though the girls in certain chapters just joined to join and they must not have found something special in their sisters. It reminds me of a young woman I wrote a recommendation for at another university. She attempted to bad mouth another sorority on campus that she viewed as "undesirable" by saying that "just anyone joins" that chapter and the girls in that chapter took little or no pride in their organization which is why she wanted certain sororities as she dismissed others. You can bet I did not go out of my way to also include a lovely letter about how much she could offer Phi Mu along with her rec. form. I was none too pleased and I'm just waiting to see how her recruitment ends up. Stop going in with this attitude because you are already coming off as entitled. Go in with an open mind.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:06 PM

How are you managing to only take classes on Monday and Tuesday? Are you a full time student?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes I'm actually taking 18 hours this semester. Two of my classes are online and I'm in class till 10pm Mondays and 8:15pm Tuesdays. So it's going to be two days of hell and five days of no class! I'm pretty excited about it
I hope such a late night class schedule isn't a hindrance with sorority event/meeting schedules (provided you get a bid).
Old 08-18-2013, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you know when sororities on your campus have chapter meetings? At my chapter and the one I advise, they are on Monday nights. It certainly bears consideration.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't know, but this is definitely something I will discuss in rush. I cannot change my school schedule, as I am a nursing student, so we'll see how that goes. I'm thinking I've heard some are on Sundays but I'm not positive about that!
Call the Greek life office before you rush. If they all meet on a night you have class and if changing class is not an option, you will end up not being able to be a member.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

It also sounds likely that you will miss two nights of recruitment, which may be the kiss of death, even aside from everything else.

ETA, I guess unless it's somewhere that only does recruitment on weekends. Or it's before school starts, somewhere that hasn't started yet. Are these possibilities?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah, okay
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well I'm actually only going to be taking classes on Mondays and Tuesdays this semester so the rest of the week will be free for work, studying, and hopefully a sorority.
Aren't chapter meetings usually held on Sunday nights or Monday nights?
Old 08-18-2013, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes I'm actually taking 18 hours this semester. Two of my classes are online and I'm in class till 10pm Mondays and 8:15pm Tuesdays. So it's going to be two days of hell and five days of no class! I'm pretty excited about it
Are you actually in nursing school or are you still pre-nursing? Have you not started clinicals yet? Your class schedule makes no sense at all.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Call the Greek life office before you rush. If they all meet on a night you have class and if changing class is not an option, you will end up not being able to be a member.
Wait, what? We had chapter on Monday nights, and if women had Monday night classes, they didn't attend. Nobody's membership hinged on that.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Wait, what? We had chapter on Monday nights, and if women had Monday night classes, they didn't attend. Nobody's membership hinged on that.
You would encourage a fifth year senior to pledge and not be able to make chapter for a minimum of an entire semester or one third of her time as an active?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Well your recruitment starts in two days, yes? Best wishes - I hope you have a nice time and make a lot of new friends.

True and Constant