GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 2,008
4 members and 2,004 guests
bbobbyusady4719, naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-15-2011, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
To the best of my knowledge, there are no honorary memberships in NPC groups.
Not true.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I stand corrected - which group has honorary memberships?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Not true.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Sigma Delta Tau has some kind of honorary membership. But this article doesn't sound like that to me. It sounds like they're CELEBRATING her initiation with a lunch.

Maybe a ZTA can comment on whether or not the organization offers honorary memberships?

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 10-15-2011, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

You know, I would bet that the Council of any NPC group can issue a waiver to do anything they want...and if they did this here, what a wonderful way to do it!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

What a wonderful story, love it. Great move by the collegiate chapter, good to hear someone going out of their way to make something like this happen!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
You know, I would bet that the Council of any NPC group can issue a waiver to do anything they want...and if they did this here, what a wonderful way to do it!
this!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
They might have waived a college requirement, but I don't see how her experience is any different than anyone who pledged, dropped out of school, and became an instant alumna. (Keep in mind this was 70 years ago!!* Rules for joining any sorority weren't quite as stringent as they are now, from everything I've heard.)

Unless ZTA initiation lasts for a week or includes a triathalon, I'm sure she could get through it.

*Saying that WWII was 70 years ago makes me feel REALLY freaking old.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Not us.

Also, while I think this is great, the terrible person in me can just FEEL someone out there who wants to AI into ZTA asking them to waive the college degree req because "they did it for the old lady."

I just feel deep down in my soul that some crazy is out there thinking it. lol.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-16-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
We do! And they are men!

It doesn't really matter one way or another if she is an AI or an honorary member. I think I just had it in my head that AI required a 4-year degree. I didn't know that individual groups could waive that requirement, seeing that it is an NPC agreement that they can not waive at the collegiate level.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
We do! And they are men!

It doesn't really matter one way or another if she is an AI or an honorary member. I think I just had it in my head that AI required a 4-year degree. I didn't know that individual groups could waive that requirement, seeing that it is an NPC agreement that they can not waive at the collegiate level.
There is no NPC requirement that you HAVE a college degree only that you be enrolled in pursuit of one. You don't lose your membership because you quit school before you get your degree. You become an alum when you leave school - with or without a degree.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
There is no NPC requirement that you HAVE a college degree only that you be enrolled in pursuit of one. You don't lose your membership because you quit school before you get your degree. You become an alum when you leave school - with or without a degree.
Exactly. The girls who pledge as first semester freshmen and then transfer/drop out/what have you are still alumnae, even if they were only active collegian sisters for 2.5 seconds.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

No doubt every group that does AI has different requirements. A college degree is not required for Gamma Phi - and as has been referenced before, those who pledge and initiate as collegians are full-fledged alumnae whether or not they receive their degree before leaving college as long as they are in good standing with the chapter.

I know some fraternities had something similar to AI after WWII - initiating men who had been pledges but left before initiating because they went to war. I don't know the current state of AI-type programs for IFC or related fraternities. Gentlemen?
Old 10-16-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Exactly. The girls who pledge as first semester freshmen and then transfer/drop out/what have you are still alumnae, even if they were only active collegian sisters for 2.5 seconds.
Sidenote: I had a really good convo with a very annoyed advisor of another sorority about how much it annoys her that girls can get initiated, then leave school the very next semester as a full alumnae member in good standing.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Sidenote: I had a really good convo with a very annoyed advisor of another sorority about how much it annoys her that girls can get initiated, then leave school the very next semester as a full alumnae member in good standing.
I feel like that kind of defeats the purpose. We don't initiate at the end of four years after all. I get the 'put in the effort and don't get the results' feeling and all but...

The guy who ran the training I just took put it like this, he'd rather train his potential leaders and have them take that training elsewhere than have them learn nothing and keep them. In this situation, better to have the alumnae members, who have at least a chance of reactivating or being active alumnae than to not have them at all OR keep new members dangling around without initiating.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
“She told me her one regret in life was that she never became a Zeta,” said Judith McConnell-Farmer, Bertie’s daughter and the interim chairwoman of Washburn’s department of education.
How nice of ZTA to initiate her and how wonderful of her daughter to share her mom's story.