GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,290
3 members and 2,287 guests
naraht, Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 09-29-2010, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

ITT We Discuss Theology

I figured since we had quite a few discussion on theology on GC recently, why not start this. This way we won't need to derail another thread or bump the thread that won't die.

PS Frodo if you decide to post in her with your Bible thumping nonsense, I will take the largest version of the Bible I can find and shove it up your ass.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I always thought that Pascals wager was a cop out.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Idk. It seems like a logical choice to me.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.venganza.org/

I'm a big fan of this guy.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish more faiths/sects would own up to unsavory things in their past. I like that we're open about Martin Luther making anti-Semitic statements and not just pretending it didn't happen or addressing it when it comes up. I think openly admitting things and not trying to hide it can bring greater healing and understanding.

I'd also like people to realize that even though I attend a church labeled "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America" we're not that kind of evangelical. There's also a lot of difference among the Lutherans, and most are much less liberal than my group. However there are many different groups and movements inside the ELCA, feminist, GLBTQ, leaving the ELCA, charismatic, and so on.

We also allow any person who has ever been baptized to have communion in our church, and we're in full communion with many other "mainline" Protestants, and in some places (Delta Junction, Alaska for example) we're a shared congregation with the Presbyterians. We also have many congregations that worship in languages other than English, including Native American and Alaska Native languages.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I'd also like people to realize that even though I attend a church labeled "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America" we're not that kind of evangelical.
Yeah, but there are some trying to get us there. Yoicks.

I'm in a bit of a theological crisis right now so this thread is tres apropos.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
I enjoy the missionary position.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yeah, but there are some trying to get us there. Yoicks.

I'm in a bit of a theological crisis right now so this thread is tres apropos.
My biggest crisis was during the ordination vote in 2009, I almost woke up an Episcopalian. The more I thought about it though, either side of the decision should really be willing to leave the ELCA if they don't like it. Is there anything more Lutheran than leaving your church and starting or joining another one because you don not like how things are run?

I've never changed my faith (baby baptism and confirmation) because I'm welcome to the other mainline Protestant congregations, and I like a lot of the freedom we give our members. Women are completely included and are equal to men (unlike in the other two main Lutheran groups). We allow people to make their own choice about creation and evolution, embrace science and God. Abortion is something we don't want to happen, and we'd like to prevent it but we're against making it illegal and aren't okay with being horrible to people who do get one. We're now allowing ordination of same sex partnered people, but individual congregations don't need to be forced to having those people as pastors if they don't want to.

I think from previous musings we're similar in our worship wants. No rock band at the altar, no speaking in tongues (yeah it happens), more of the old church aspects we grew up with in the more ethnic congregations, oh and how I miss the Green Book and really enjoy individual cups and wafers, or at least not having people touch my body and sharing a cup of the blood.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm Catholic, and I refuse to drink out of the cup. Haven't done it since I made my first communion when I was 8.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
My biggest crisis was during the ordination vote in 2009, I almost woke up an Episcopalian. The more I thought about it though, either side of the decision should really be willing to leave the ELCA if they don't like it. Is there anything more Lutheran than leaving your church and starting or joining another one because you don not like how things are run?

I've never changed my faith (baby baptism and confirmation) because I'm welcome to the other mainline Protestant congregations, and I like a lot of the freedom we give our members. Women are completely included and are equal to men (unlike in the other two main Lutheran groups). We allow people to make their own choice about creation and evolution, embrace science and God. Abortion is something we don't want to happen, and we'd like to prevent it but we're against making it illegal and aren't okay with being horrible to people who do get one. We're now allowing ordination of same sex partnered people, but individual congregations don't need to be forced to having those people as pastors if they don't want to.

I think from previous musings we're similar in our worship wants. No rock band at the altar, no speaking in tongues (yeah it happens), more of the old church aspects we grew up with in the more ethnic congregations, oh and how I miss the Green Book and really enjoy individual cups and wafers, or at least not having people touch my body and sharing a cup of the blood.
Part of it is my home church joined CORE. No, I don't live there anymore, but with my dad's death and selling the house and everything...I just feel like this is one more thing I've lost, the church being the same as always. I want something to stay the same.

There's a LCMS church a block from my house. I really like some of the more traditional aspects in the service, but the other Sunday when I went WHOA were they hitting the "women are subservient" thing in the lesson. I also checked out the marriage service (not that I'm doing that soon). And..well...the serve your hub part? No.

The ELCA congregation I love is downtown - it's the one I told GeekyPenguin about so her fiance could see the website. Mary on the altar, Stations of the Cross on the wall...pretty much the most Catholic Lutheran church I've ever been in. I feel myself drawn to the beautiful aspects of Catholicism because of my grandma & great aunt...it helps me feel close to them.

Basically my problem is I've got all these missing my family issues going on and it really screws up the concept of being part of something due to the theology alone.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Part of it is my home church joined CORE. No, I don't live there anymore, but with my dad's death and selling the house and everything...I just feel like this is one more thing I've lost, the church being the same as always. I want something to stay the same.

There's a LCMS church a block from my house. I really like some of the more traditional aspects in the service, but the other Sunday when I went WHOA were they hitting the "women are subservient" thing in the lesson. I also checked out the marriage service (not that I'm doing that soon). And..well...the serve your hub part? No.

The ELCA congregation I love is downtown - it's the one I told GeekyPenguin about so her fiance could see the website. Mary on the altar, Stations of the Cross on the wall...pretty much the most Catholic Lutheran church I've ever been in. I feel myself drawn to the beautiful aspects of Catholicism because of my grandma & great aunt...it helps me feel close to them.

Basically my problem is I've got all these missing my family issues going on and it really screws up the concept of being part of something due to the theology alone.
Oh dear, joining CORE would be a problem for me as well. I wouldn't go to an LCMS church if there was a Protestant church that has more of my views. I am not going to be baptized again so I can have communion in an LCMS church, and frankly my personal life beliefs would be a constant source of cognitive dissonance for me.

I hear you on not being able to go to your home church and have that connection. The church building I grew up in is now a luxury home and the congregation we belong to now has great people, but the building doesn't feel right to me. I miss the huge stained glass windows, the dark wood and pews with three aisles, with a large railed altar. The building in my town now is round, and I always feel so disconcerted sitting that way.

If going downtown is a hassle, is there another Protestant church you could attend in the meantime where you'd feel comfortable and could have communion? I'm not saying give up, but I've had to step away from the jello and hot dish to deal with my faith issues and still have a spiritual life that meets my needs.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I've yet to find an organized church that fits my faith/belief system where I feel comfortable. I have a very strong personal faith and feel that my relationship with Christ/God is a personal thing. Occasionally I feel a need to worship in a structured manner and at those times, I choose to do so in the Roman Catholic church. I choose that because it is the church where I feel closest to God. During and right after college, I attended every type of Christian church I could find and I simply felt most "at home" during the Catholic mass. Communion is probably the biggest reason that I choose that church now, closely followed by the solemnity and the ritual of the mass. I don't feel comfortable having someone spend a long amount of time telling me what the Bible should mean to me. I am of the mind that the Bible is a living piece of work. By that, I mean that the same passage can mean many different things depending on your own perspective and circumstances at the time. It can mean something different during a different period of my life even.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Banned

The frodobaggins thread is better.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
The frodobaggins thread is better.
Yeah, I had hoped this thread would be more philosophical in nature. What do you believe and why? What religious thinkers do you dis/agree with... but since I havent contributed anything myself I really can't complain.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Idk. It seems like a logical choice to me.
It does make sense and it's very simple stance, but I have a problem with the idea of being a "fair-weather" believer.