GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,570
3 members and 1,567 guests
anglasyandext99, mlanderson

Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

VandalSquirrel, I do have thick skin but that isn't the point. The reason I asked here in this forum was to get ideas. I have no plans, and never would, to just cold call a sorority. I was just looking for info and ideas. I've gotten many great suggestions here that weren't insulting. I have my own personal reasons for looking to a NPC sorority that I don't feel the need to go into in this forum. I have many friends and family who have been involved and wanted opinions before I went to them with questions. I am now looking into ways I may be able to volunteer at one of the two colleges in my city. The great thing, I've found, about greekchat is that I can ask a touchy question and get feed back from many wonderful people.

Just to address one thing which is why I didn't go greek in college. The college I attended had a large greek life but with that came $300+ dues that my parents would NOT pay. I was just wondering if there was an alternative since I couldn't while I was in school. Also I thought it might be a way to mentor or help young women that get lost during college years.

I again want to thank everyone for such great advice and ideas. The last few days have been very enlightening and helpful. I'll continue my search and, hopefully, find the group I am meant for.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-06-2009, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

It seems to me that if you have many friends and family who are members of NPC organizations, they would be the people you should be directing your questions to, not strangers on the internet. Those are the people who both truly know you and are familiar with all the specifics and options available with their organizations (or can find out if they don't know.)
Old 08-06-2009, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelgirl View Post
VandalSquirrel, I do have thick skin but that isn't the point. The reason I asked here in this forum was to get ideas. I have no plans, and never would, to just cold call a sorority. I was just looking for info and ideas. I've gotten many great suggestions here that weren't insulting. I have my own personal reasons for looking to a NPC sorority that I don't feel the need to go into in this forum. I have many friends and family who have been involved and wanted opinions before I went to them with questions. I am now looking into ways I may be able to volunteer at one of the two colleges in my city. The great thing, I've found, about greekchat is that I can ask a touchy question and get feed back from many wonderful people.

Just to address one thing which is why I didn't go greek in college. The college I attended had a large greek life but with that came $300+ dues that my parents would NOT pay. I was just wondering if there was an alternative since I couldn't while I was in school. Also I thought it might be a way to mentor or help young women that get lost during college years.

I again want to thank everyone for such great advice and ideas. The last few days have been very enlightening and helpful. I'll continue my search and, hopefully, find the group I am meant for.
If you have friends and family who are involved in their GLOs, why ask about alumnae initiation on Greekchat? I know you are seeking information, but it seems curious to me that someone with sorority women in her family/friend circle would come onto an internet message board for information on alumnae initiation, especially when there are pages and pages of past threads on this very subject to sift through, and people have stated over and over what alumnae initiation is and is not.

Regarding the women who "get lost," perhaps I'm misunderstanding your vision, but just based on what you've said, it sounds like you're looking for something more like what a student life employee or a career counselor would do. You might contact your local university to see if they need any volunteers. P.E.O., which someone mentioned earlier, would also be a good organization to look into if you wanted to mentor college women.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:17 AM
GreekChat Member

In my experience as a chapter advisor it seems that sorority members generally have it more together than the average college undergrad. If you're looking to help "lost" women, I'd suggest looking somewhere else. Perhaps an off-camups women's aid organization.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 AM
GreekChat Member

AST doesn't require an advisor to be a member of the sorority. HOWEVER... chapter advisors need approval through both the chapter AND the national VP. Also, these advisors are not able to attend any kind of ritual. They are not considered members at all, and their access to information is very limited. They are only expected to help the chapter when necessary. But they are also well respected members of the Greek community.

To give you an example of someone who is an advisor of one of our chapters who isn't a member... David Stollman http://www.campuspeak.com/speakers/stollman/

Please don't think that you can just "want to help students" and become an advisor for a chapter.

I became an advisor many years after becoming a member of my chapter, and I'm still learning new things every day.

This isn't a way into becoming a member of a sorority.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 08-06-2009 at 05:33 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelgirl View Post
V
Just to address one thing which is why I didn't go greek in college. The college I attended had a large greek life but with that came $300+ dues that my parents would NOT pay. I was just wondering if there was an alternative since I couldn't while I was in school.
You could've gotten a job instead of expecting your parents to pay. Many many many sorority members hold jobs while belonging- regardless of major (anticipating the "I had a really demanding major and couldn't work" argument). If you wanted to badly enough, you could've made it happen. That excuse isn't going to impress anyone. You're not claiming that there was a family hardship or something.

You are the one coming to this message board to seek information on joining OUR organizations, that we have worked hard for, spent money on, and have been devoted to. We have every right to question your intentions and reasons for doing what you want to do. If you can't handle that, tough.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
In my experience as a chapter advisor it seems that sorority members generally have it more together than the average college undergrad. If you're looking to help "lost" women, I'd suggest looking somewhere else. Perhaps an off-camups women's aid organization.
BUT THEN YOU DON'T GET THOSE CUTE LETTER SHIRTS!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

rebelgirl,

If I were in your position, I would pour my heart and soul into Junior League. This is your chance to shine and do wonderful things. In Junior League, you will meet wonderful women and you will grow with your experience(s) in numerous ways. If you are fortunate, you may just make a connection that will help you in both your career and other desires of your heart. At the very least, you will be part of something wonderful and make life long friendships. I have seen and heard amazing stories that have happened to women who were part of Junior League. I think for now you should not look beyond and enjoy where you are at. This may fill your void and you may love it! Good things may come to you in time, but nothing comes easy.
I like to think positively!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

i think that you might find what you are seeking within junior league. the league i joined was very welcoming, had many committees to choose from and with over 300 members it was easy to find a smaller group of women with similar interests with which to cultivate friendships. since the league stresses bettering the commmunity in which they live, you can see the benefits of your hard work on a daily basis.

after your provisional year, you might be able to found a committee to mentor "at risk" college students, if one does not exist.

your provisional year will be a busy one, but fun-i would not pursue other membership in any organizations until i had completed those requirements.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with FSUZeta. From what I've read about the Junior League, the provisional year is very busy and carries a lot of expectations. I can't imagine how the OP would find time to devote to JL AND pursue AI. I get tired just thinking about it.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Or have you looked at P.E.O.?
There is also Epsilon Sigma Alpha (ESA)
http://esaintl.com/
Old 08-07-2009, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay, I'm glad to see people have suggested ESA!

Rebelgirl, ESA seems to have a wider age margin than BSP. I'm thinking it's because there are collegiate ESA chapters. You can also join ESA as a Member-at-Large and you wouldn't have to join meetings while you are getting through your year at Junior League.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI: There are also collegiate chapters of Beta Sigma Phi. Such as...

http://studo.umkc.edu/betasigmaphi/
Old 08-15-2009, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via AIM to HeavenslilAngel Send a message via Yahoo to HeavenslilAngel
BSP is a wonderful organization. I have been involved for almost as long as I've been a member of ASA. My chapter is not antiquated at all. I'm the youngest member (I'm 27) and the oldest members are probably in their late 50's and 60's. While I love ASA and am extremely involved I also love my BSP chapter and love learning from my sisters who have more life experiences. It's almost like college all over again. Almost being the operative word. Meetings once per month (instead of weekly) and a social once a month (instead of daily or weekly events). Someone gave the email address for friendly venturing (forming a chapter). You may be able to find some Junior League members and then you ladies can form an unantiquated BSP chapter. Best wishes on whichever way you decide to/end up finding fulfillment. I do agree with whats been said about NPC may not being the best route.

Last edited by HeavenslilAngel; 08-15-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsAutumnInFL View Post
FYI: There are also collegiate chapters of Beta Sigma Phi. Such as...

http://studo.umkc.edu/betasigmaphi/

Yep, there's one at St. Mary's University in San Antonio.