GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 864
0 members and 864 guests
No Members online

Old 11-29-2015, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just saying that I personally don't see them as a viable candidate for extension at this point in time, especially considering comparable nearby schools have the same number of groups and significantly larger totals.

And looking at IP's thread from last year, every single group at West Georgia took spring new members, which is the non-primary recruitment period, so, every group did COB, leading me to think that total was too high....so....?
If every single group is COBing in the spring, its a retention issue, not a total issue. Total is set to ACS. Total isn't being set "too high" when it is the average chapter size.

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-29-2015, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, fine, if it's a retention issue with every single group, then the system needs to grow and strengthen for a few years before bringing another group.

Can't total be determined in a few ways? Perhaps average chapter size -5% would be a better option for them. I don't know.

I think they could be a good contender, just not now, in a few years. After the dust settles, after DZ has had more time to establish themselves, after retention settles and growth is more than +6NMs on quota (at the largest in the last 5 years). I just think it's a situation where it would be more beneficial to let it ride and see what happens, before bringing another group just because one closed, and watching them struggle.

Though again, that's just my opinion.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Man, you leave for a few minutes and everyone clamors for you! Yes, Clemson is forming an exploratory committee and eventually an extension committee to look at bringing a new sorority on campus after fall formal recruitment in 2016. This is what I was told by our now-former Panhellenic Delegate. We just installed chapter officers and Panhellenic officers so I imagine that we'll hear more about this from me and from Clemson next semester.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't wait for Texas State to finally expand for a new colony! There were over 800 ladies that participated in recruitment last year and because our sororities are so selective about who they want not all the girls got matched to a sorority that they fit into! We need another sorority on campus to balance out the amount of girls that want to join. Texas State University is a rapidly growing campus that needs to accommodate to it's rapidly growing community!
Old 12-08-2015, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

That's not really how it works.

But has Texas State officially opened? I know they voted to form an exploratory committee in October
Old 12-08-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBobcat21 View Post
I can't wait for Texas State to finally expand for a new colony! There were over 800 ladies that participated in recruitment last year and because our sororities are so selective about who they want not all the girls got matched to a sorority that they fit into! We need another sorority on campus to balance out the amount of girls that want to join. Texas State University is a rapidly growing campus that needs to accommodate to its rapidly growing community!
No, that is not how it works.

If there were women who were dropped by all the sororities, most likely they were not a good fit for Greek life in general and would be a worse fit for a new colony in particular.

If there were women who had sororities inviting them back to parties but who decided to drop out of rush rather than give the sororities a chance, that is their own fault and not a reason for a new sorority.

But, if what you are trying to say is "the chapters are getting too large for our campus culture and women are wanting to leave Greek life because they don't like being in such large chapters" - then that is what you say, and that is a good reason for expansion.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleBobcat21 View Post
I can't wait for Texas State to finally expand for a new colony! There were over 800 ladies that participated in recruitment last year and because our sororities are so selective about who they want not all the girls got matched to a sorority that they fit into! We need another sorority on campus to balance out the amount of girls that want to join. Texas State University is a rapidly growing campus that needs to accommodate to it's rapidly growing community!
It would be a good idea to actually be a sorority member before you come onto a public web site and tell us the supposed state of affairs of your campus.

As others above me have already said, this is not how things work. Additionally, from what I understand about TSU, all the chapters participate in COR and/or spring recruitment at some point during the academic year. That is not a situation where membership opportunities do not exist when young women keep an open mind.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah I see. Found the first post. That explains.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you to all the posters above for responding to PurpleBobcat. I saw it this morning and my response would have not been as nice as yours. I wrote one and then deleted it. I would love to see more growth at TSU but for the right reasons
Old 12-09-2015, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
Thank you to all the posters above for responding to PurpleBobcat. I saw it this morning and my response would have not been as nice as yours. I wrote one and then deleted it. I would love to see more growth at TSU but for the right reasons
And wanting to reduce chapter sizes IS a valid reason for growth. They may be having trouble with retention because of a lack of cohesion. While these chapter sizes absolutely work at some schools I can imagine it is not quite so successful at others.

But I am wondering if they are using RFM correctly, or if it can be modified to suit their needs? For instance, if they do have a serious retention problem across the board (AND don't want such large chapters), then maybe total should be figured based on 2nd semester numbers, not right after fall pledging. As I see it, COB should really only be used to support significantly smaller chapters. If every chapter is participating, then there is something wrong with their numbers. Since not all the numbers were posted, I can't see if there's a weakest chapter, but since the others are very large, they are not helping by doing COB if there is a weak chapter. The entire system is helped by supporting the weak chapter in its efforts at growth. That's the whole basis of RFM, and it has been wildly successful everywhere it is used.

But none of this answers if TSU actually wants to expand. Do we know that? Maybe they want Bama sized chapters?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas State University

* Please, please, do not refer to Texas State as TSU. When the name change was rammed down our throats, we (alumni) expressed concern that we would be referred to as TSU, which is already used by Texas Southern University and Tarleton State. We were assured it would not happen - and yet, when I delivered my daughter to her dorm as a freshman, what was on the door? A paw with TSU. I may have ranted a bit to a bewildered RA. I realize it may be a bit of a sisyphean fight, but as a member of a three generation Bobcat family, it is one I will continue. TX State, please.

ETA - My money is on expansion.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
* Please, please, do not refer to Texas State as TSU. ... I realize it may be a bit of a sisyphean fight, but as a member of a three generation Bobcat family, it is one I will continue. TX State, please.

ETA - My money is on expansion.
My apologies. I don't know the school and went with the logical acronym. But as an Iowan (75% vowels, 100% awesome), I appreciate the frustration in mangling of the schools in my area. Everyone from Iowa (the state) knows the University of Northern Iowa as UNI but for some reason the media always calls it Northern Iowa. Maybe that's for the benefit of those outside the region. But still. Get it right!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

As the mom of four Tarleton grads, they agree with you wholeheartedly!! Tarleton is TSU. And while they are not happy do is Texas Southern!!
Old 12-09-2015, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I should have known better! Texas State it is!
Old 12-09-2015, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

As we talked about in a different thread, I think that all campuses should be using two tier total (calculated at the end of each semester) so as not to have a falsely inflated total and thereby forcing chapters to participate in COB when they don't really need to, but that's just my opinion, I'm not sure if it would actually work at all campuses and I'm unlikely to ever see that happen, but mehhh.